Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 12:16 AM

122 posts, read 184,007 times

Advertisements

Folks - I would really appreciate any help you can offer. I have two kids aged 3 and an infant. I presently live in NJ and commute into Jersey City which takes 3 hours round trip per day on NJ Transit and path. I have been doing this for 10 years and would like to spend time with my family more. I am possibly going to find a job in Hopewell soon and if that happens would have a 30 minute commute from my current home in NJ. Since my family has expanded and I live in a townhome I am trying to move to a SFH. My budget is $500k but for that price I am unable to find what I am looking for in NJ. Is moving to PA a good option? It looks like Washington crossing and Newtown have close commute into Hopewell. Can you please guide me to additional towns I should consider which would be within a 30 minute commute to Hopewell, a 45 mts or less commute to Philly and also give me the option to either go to Trenton or Robbinsville if I need to go to Jersey City or NYC? I am looking for SFH with 2500 or above sq.ft, good sized lot, basement and reasonable property taxes. I would really appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 06:25 AM

Hello - Is it fair to say the towns in the following order will provide me a) a good commute to Hopewell b) a reasonable commute to Philly c) a good commute to Trenton NJ Transit and offer good school districts d) offer cheaper taxes than NJ?

Primary
Yardley
Washington Crossing
Lower Makefield
Newtown

Secondary
Upper Makefield
Newhope

Old 05-21-2017, 10:38 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adviceseeker View Post
Folks - I would really appreciate any help you can offer. I have two kids aged 3 and an infant. I presently live in NJ and commute into Jersey City which takes 3 hours round trip per day on NJ Transit and path. I have been doing this for 10 years and would like to spend time with my family more. I am possibly going to find a job in Hopewell soon and if that happens would have a 30 minute commute from my current home in NJ. Since my family has expanded and I live in a townhome I am trying to move to a SFH. My budget is $500k but for that price I am unable to find what I am looking for in NJ. Is moving to PA a good option? It looks like Washington crossing and Newtown have close commute into Hopewell. Can you please guide me to additional towns I should consider which would be within a 30 minute commute to Hopewell, a 45 mts or less commute to Philly and also give me the option to either go to Trenton or Robbinsville if I need to go to Jersey City or NYC? I am looking for SFH with 2500 or above sq.ft, good sized lot, basement and reasonable property taxes. I would really appreciate any help.
I really think that you'll get more answers on the main NJ board.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:54 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Someone from there told him to post here.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:28 PM

Folks - if the question is about moving to PA, I believe this would be the right place to post it. Can someone help?

Old 05-21-2017, 05:47 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
I agree, this is the place to post for answers regarding housing in Philadelphia and it's suburbs.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-22-2017 at 09:12 AM..

Old 05-21-2017, 06:06 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adviceseeker View Post
Hello - Is it fair to say the towns in the following order will provide me a) a good commute to Hopewell b) a reasonable commute to Philly c) a good commute to Trenton NJ Transit and offer good school districts d) offer cheaper taxes than NJ?

Primary
Yardley
Washington Crossing
Lower Makefield
Newtown

Secondary
Upper Makefield
Newhope
Yes it is fair to make those assumptions. Upper Makefield and Solebury are just a bit farther north up the river. It's easier highway access from the other townships.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:53 AM

235 posts, read 263,443 times
I am familiar with the areas on both sides of the river.

Property taxes are definitely lower in PA. Not to mention that unlike NJ/NY, PA and NJ cooperate with each other when it comes to income tax time. You only need to file a form in the state where you work from what I remember.

Washington Crossing is the closest to Hopewell and a very nice town. That would be my first choice. Yardley and Lower Makefield are very nice too and convenient to a very good hospital - Mercer Medical Center in Trenton, NJ. Newtown used to have a nice country feel to it, but it has become built up.

Don't know much about Upper Makefield. Newhope is nice and it's right across the river from Lambertville which is a fun and safe small city with many eateries.

I don't think you would go very wrong with any of these PA town you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia