Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 07:52 AM

22 posts, read 99,005 times

Advertisements

What would the commute be like from Downingtown to eastern Lancaster county? We are looking for a nice community so that my husband can commute to Lancaster and I to Philadelphia (sometimes-not every day)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 10:13 PM

35 posts, read 146,502 times
Default great location - downingtown

The commute to eastern Lancaster from Downingtown is about 35 minutes. My sister just bought a house there and we visit her frequently. The commute to center city Philadelphia is about 45 mins. Downingtown is a great location to live if you have to commute to either of those places. You can get to 76 quickly from Downingtown. What type of house are you looking for? If you have children, the school district in Downingtown is wonderful.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:31 AM

5 posts, read 27,687 times
Default I'm a bit worried for you

That commute may be a nightmare. Your best bet on a commute to that area is from the 176 area. If you get into the 30 East commute it is a bear. We used to live in the Flying Hills community for quite some time and it was an excellent path to the Philly area and still required a drive of about 1hr in the meat of the traffic.

Lancaster traffic is a bit more annoying simply because people aren't going anywhere they're just driving because they are bored to death.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:29 AM

Ha ha...that is so true about Lancaster! My sister's big night out is going to the county store for milk. And you better get there before it closes..she says everything shuts down after 5:00pm. :-) Not to knock Lancaster, she actually loves the areas. It's beautiful but not for someone looking for city life. As far as commuting to Philly from Downingtown, I would never venture down Rte 30. I76 is the only way to go. It really isn't bad on I76 as long as there are no traffic accidents along the way - you can make it there in about 45 mins. I used to work at near 30th and Market in Philadelphia and I made the trip 2 times a day.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:33 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,569,634 times
That is a doable commute, just get a place near the PA Turnpike (I-76) interchange at RT 100. I am a Philly native and lived in both Lancaster and then moved back, closer to Philly for work and ended up in the Eagle/Ludwigs Corner area. Its a Downingtown address though, in the Downingtown school district with convenient access to I-76 where I commuted daily to Conshohocken before we eventually moved to Colorado. Still own the home in Downingtown, just rent it out now. PM me if you need more details.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:25 AM

22 posts, read 99,005 times
Default commute to Lancaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmatic View Post
That commute may be a nightmare. Your best bet on a commute to that area is from the 176 area. If you get into the 30 East commute it is a bear. We used to live in the Flying Hills community for quite some time and it was an excellent path to the Philly area and still required a drive of about 1hr in the meat of the traffic.

Lancaster traffic is a bit more annoying simply because people aren't going anywhere they're just driving because they are bored to death.
Thanks for the imput-do you mean the commute to Philly would be a nightmare? I want to take the train maybe 1 time a week other than that work at home, my concern is the commute to Lancaster-how long would that be?

Old 07-09-2008, 08:18 AM

The commute to Lancaster is about 30 mins if you are getting a place near the Turnpike. It's not bad at all. It's actually quite peaceful, the scenery is beautiful even if you are traveling on I76. I direct messaged you with more information, did you get it?

Old 07-13-2008, 01:41 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanF View Post
Thanks for the imput-do you mean the commute to Philly would be a nightmare? I want to take the train maybe 1 time a week other than that work at home, my concern is the commute to Lancaster-how long would that be?
To Conshohocken, during rush hour took me 50 minutes from the Eagle/Chester Springs area using the PA TPK (I-76) and the Schuylkill, so to downtown Philly, it depends on how slow the Schuylkillis running, but add another 20 - 30 minutes at least. If there's an accident, plan on being late.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:12 AM

19 posts, read 80,438 times
I live in Lancaster and used to visit my sister alot who lived near lincoln highway and RT100. I've used both ways to commute - i-76 and Rt. 30. I'd say plan on about 45 minutes either way you choose. Rt. 30 is more direct, but can be slow-going with heavy traffic approaching Lancaster...plus the hwy breaks down into a 1 lane road on the approach to Lancaster. i-76 is usually traffic-free in that area...and you can go alot faster, but its a bit of a roundabout way of getting there. Gotta go up and around and then take 222 down into Lancaster.

As far as communities that optimize your Lancaster or Philly commute though, Downingtown is probably your best bet. Any farther west and you might as well be in Lancaster. Any farther east and you risk making the Lancaster commute more like 1 hour or so.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:48 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,526,738 times
I would move a tad closer to the city if I were you...the traffic is all heading that way so that commute will always be the worst one...maybe West Chester or Exton or Malvern...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia