Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:17 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoose View Post
i really do not think Temple should field a Division-1 football team. i do not think one student is drawn to Temple by the opportunity to root for a team that has not been to a Bowl since i think it was 1979. Even with the sweetheart deal they got to use the LInc they can not consistently draw 20,000. Temple should have gotten the message when the Big East got rid of them.
Really? We shouldn't field a D-I team even though we're competitive? Makes a lot of sense...

Football is not our main sport, so I doubt anyone is drawn to the school by the football team. Regardless, the point of college is to get an education, so that should be priority #1.

Even though we don't draw 20,000 , our attendance is improving as the team gets more competitive.

We're not going anywhere. We're staying in D-I where we belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 12:45 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Really? We shouldn't field a D-I team even though we're competitive? Makes a lot of sense...

Football is not our main sport, so I doubt anyone is drawn to the school by the football team. Regardless, the point of college is to get an education, so that should be priority #1.

Even though we don't draw 20,000 , our attendance is improving as the team gets more competitive.

We're not going anywhere. We're staying in D-I where we belong.
The move down to the mid-majors was the best thing that ever happened to the Temple football team IMO. They were just getting continously pummeled in the Big East. I'm glad they found a new home in the MAC.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:09 PM

It was good that it happened. The MAC doesn't get the credit it deserves. It's a great conference, even though WMU, CMU and NIU have stunk it up in their Bowls.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:58 PM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Temple is a joke, football wise. But even while they get ignored by the locals, other local teams get support. U Penn, Villanova, they get enthusiastic support.
Philly gets its footbal glory vicariously through Penn State.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:34 PM

I dont understand how we're a joke. We were a knockdown away from playing for the MAC Championship. Please don't make idiotic comments when you have no idea what you're talking about. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:50 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
IMO, the 2008 season was a disappointment for the Temple football team. They should have never lost either the Buffalo game or the Navy game (the latter of which I attended). Those are the kinds of losses that have happened way too often the last 10-15 years for the Owls, and I thought they'd stop happening after Al Golden got his players in there. However, they still happened this season and Temple still finished with a losing season (albeit a competitive losing season).

Old 01-02-2009, 09:51 PM

While we should've had at least 8 wins, those of us who are diehards are content with the season. Losing sucks, but it's better to lose by 3 or less, than 35.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:43 PM

40 posts, read 174,437 times
The football team operates at a loss. the question you have to ask if in this economy, the money spent on football is a worthwhile investment in terms of student life or institutional identity? Even assuming that they become a contender on the Mac (which is uncertain) how will that help Temple?

Old 01-03-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoose View Post
The football team operates at a loss. the question you have to ask if in this economy, the money spent on football is a worthwhile investment in terms of student life or institutional identity? Even assuming that they become a contender on the Mac (which is uncertain) how will that help Temple?
First of all, learn about the economics of sports; I believe last number I saw was seven D-I schools actually made money from their football program. Everyone loses money, including some very high profile schools.
Secondly, please do not use some b.s. economic garbage to weigh whether or not a football team is a good investment. Outside of good academics, a football team is the most important thing for a university. Do not sit here and tell me my school should get rid of its football team.
Last but not least, another person who hasn't watched us play the last few seasons...We ARE a contender in the MAC. I have no idea what fictional football team you've been watching, but it certainly isn't Temple...

Old 01-03-2009, 07:48 PM

40 posts, read 174,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
First of all, learn about the economics of sports; I believe last number I saw was seven D-I schools actually made money from their football program. Everyone loses money, including some very high profile schools.
Secondly, please do not use some b.s. economic garbage to weigh whether or not a football team is a good investment. Outside of good academics, a football team is the most important thing for a university. Do not sit here and tell me my school should get rid of its football team.
Last but not least, another person who hasn't watched us play the last few seasons...We ARE a contender in the MAC. I have no idea what fictional football team you've been watching, but it certainly isn't Temple...
Lets take the best case scenario for Temple football. They become a decent MAC team and every couple of years get to play in the Moter City Bowl in Detroit or the International Bowl in Toronto (those are where Mac teams go). Will that cause one more student to apply to Temple? How many Temple students actually go to games? their is no question that the proud legacy of Temple Basketball has helped Temple recruit and raise money. The new on campus arena is a great thing for both the university and the city. I do not think that even a successful mid major program playing in front of 20,000 fans at best will do anything for Temple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia