Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:56 AM

196 posts, read 779,586 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how is living in the Northeast side of Philly. Im from Queens,Ny and was thinking about relocating.My wife and I visited the area and our first impression was "I could live here" it reminded us of Queens.We plan on having a child so she will be at home alone while I commute to work.Any info would be appreciated,Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 12:06 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edrican View Post
Can anyone tell me how is living in the Northeast side of Philly. Im from Queens,Ny and was thinking about relocating.My wife and I visited the area and our first impression was "I could live here" it reminded us of Queens.We plan on having a child so she will be at home alone while I commute to work.Any info would be appreciated,Thanks..
I'm not sure where you visited but many people have definitions of the Northeast. Anyway, some of the better neighborhoods include Mayfair, Bustleton, Torresdale, Fox Chase and Somerton. I would avoid Frankford, Wissinoming(I can never spell that right!), Oxford Circle and Tacony; they're on the decline. Please let us know where you visited and maybe fill out the sticky form in the beginning of the Forum. That way more knowledgeable people who visit here can provide you with more information. Best of luck with your potential move to Philly.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:50 PM

Sorry but the area we visited was Rossevelt blvd by the mall,I believe it was Cottman ave.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:01 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
I'm not sure where you visited but many people have definitions of the Northeast. Anyway, some of the better neighborhoods include Mayfair, Bustleton, Torresdale, Fox Chase and Somerton. I would avoid Frankford, Wissinoming(I can never spell that right!), Oxford Circle and Tacony; they're on the decline. Please let us know where you visited and maybe fill out the sticky form in the beginning of the Forum. That way more knowledgeable people who visit here can provide you with more information. Best of luck with your potential move to Philly.
I agree with all above except for one thing -while Oxford Circle,Frankford and Wissinoming went to down to a certain hot place in a hand basket and are to be avoided at all cost ,Tacony is trying to make a comeback with its civic groups working.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrican View Post
Sorry but the area we visited was Rossevelt blvd by the mall,I believe it was Cottman ave.
Right now, that area is not TOO bad but I don't know if I'd make a long-term commitment to it.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:51 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
As a former Queens resident I would say that the two areas are very similer except that NE Philly has far fewer forign born residents other than a very large Russan colony further north then you were. The Blvd and Cottman would be like Queens Blvd north of the LIE. Not the best area nor the worst. It is very much the land of the cops and the firemen.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:58 AM

Thanks Bryson I did get the feeling of being in Queens when I was there,I quess thats why I liked it...

Old 03-27-2009, 04:05 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I worked for about 12 years in far-northeast Philly. I agree with the others that the futher you go down the southern end of Northeast Philly, the worse it gets.

In the far northeast there are tons of shopping centers, restaurants, bars, churches, etc. Lots of traffic. Some row-house areas and many areas with twin/duplex houses. The Eastern side of Roosevelt Blvd (Route One) is largely Catholic (Irish and Polish) while the Western side is largely Jewish and a lot of Russian immigrants. Of course there are pockets of all types of people on boths sides. But I remember being surprised at the sharp line of division the Blvd made, especially with the Jewish/Catholic thing. Since I am neither, they would both tell me all about it, their positive and negative opinions.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:03 PM

274 posts, read 1,401,155 times
Northeast Phila, esp. the Mayfair area, where you were, is pretty much a typical working class area. Family oriented and also community minded with especially tight ties around the Catholic parishes or your local athletic assoications for kids sports, activities.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesixth View Post
Northeast Phila, esp. the Mayfair area, where you were, is pretty much a typical working class area. Family oriented and also community minded with especially tight ties around the Catholic parishes or your local athletic assoications for kids sports, activities.
I think that's Castor Gardens, not Mayfair. I thought Mayfair was more East of the Blvd along Cottman Avenue. Regardless, I agree with your evaluation of Mayfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia