Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 34,615 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to buy a home in Delaware County. Where are the nice, safe places to live?
Below is a list of towns that I'm looking at. I'm from central PA & not familiar with Delaware counties desirable places & those to be avoided.
What do you think?
ASTON TOWNSHIP
CHESTER TOWNSHIP
CHESTER CITY {Are some parts/streets of the city to be avoided?}
UPPER CHICHESTER
LOWER CHICHESTER
COLWYN BORO
CONCORD TOWNSHIP
DARBY BORO
DARBY TOWNSHIP
UPPER DARBY TOWNSHIP
EDDYSTONE BORO
LANSDOWNE BORO
EAST LANSDOWNE
NEWTOWN TOWNSHIP
NORWOOD BORO
NETHER PROVIDENCE
RADNOR TOWNSHIP
RIDLEY PARK BORO
RIDLEY TOWNSHIP
SHARON HILL BORO
TRAINER BORO
YEADON BORO
Thanks for your time and insights! ---Nikki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 PM

47 posts, read 232,053 times
You have a wide range of areas. I dont know them all and dont want to over generalize but the western side of DE County tends to be better and more expensive. I am not sure what your price range is which would allow us to be more helpful as some of the areas you included the homes are 25k and others closer to a million. I would not buy in Chester City or Boro. I would not buy in Darby boro or cities either. I would say regardless of the area you choose expect to pay at least 225K for a decent home in a safe area. If you want go to www.thehousecouple.com and that will let you search by townships and you can get an idea. If the homes are boarded up (Chester) stay away. maybe take a look at media too

I am not sure if you must live in DE county but also check out Chester County its a nice county.

Oh and out of the areas you listed Radnor and Newtown Twps are probably the most desireable and essentially is part of the main line.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:14 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0u812 View Post
I'm wanting to buy a home in Delaware County. Where are the nice, safe places to live?
Below is a list of towns that I'm looking at. I'm from central PA & not familiar with Delaware counties desirable places & those to be avoided.
What do you think?
ASTON TOWNSHIP
CHESTER TOWNSHIP
CHESTER CITY {Are some parts/streets of the city to be avoided?}
UPPER CHICHESTER
LOWER CHICHESTER
COLWYN BORO
CONCORD TOWNSHIP
DARBY BORO
DARBY TOWNSHIP
UPPER DARBY TOWNSHIP
EDDYSTONE BORO
LANSDOWNE BORO
EAST LANSDOWNE
NEWTOWN TOWNSHIP
NORWOOD BORO
NETHER PROVIDENCE
RADNOR TOWNSHIP
RIDLEY PARK BORO
RIDLEY TOWNSHIP
SHARON HILL BORO
TRAINER BORO
YEADON BORO
Thanks for your time and insights! ---Nikki
NO!-Colwyn, Chester City, Darby (Boro & Township), Upper Darby Township, Ridley Park and Township, Sharon Hill, Yeadon.

Your best bets are Aston, Concord, Radnor, Neither Providence, the Chichesters and I guess you mean Newtown Square. The other towns are okay but I have some concerns about them. Where in Central PA do you live now? Good Luck.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:37 PM

47 posts, read 232,053 times
I was assuming she meant Newtown Twp, which is part of Newtown Square. If this is the case also look at the rest of Newtown Square such as Edgemont. One thing I will caution you on is that this area tends to be pricey compared to central PA, but there really is no way around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
NO!-Colwyn, Chester City, Darby (Boro & Township), Upper Darby Township, Ridley Park and Township, Sharon Hill, Yeadon.

Your best bets are Aston, Concord, Radnor, Neither Providence, the Chichesters and I guess you mean Newtown Square. The other towns are okay but I have some concerns about them. Where in Central PA do you live now? Good Luck.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:31 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,526,366 times
In rank order based upon schools, desirability and generally housing prices as well:

Radnor School District (big big bucks)
Unionville-Chadds Ford School District
Wallingford-Swarthmore School District
Rose Tree Media School District
Garnet Valley SD
Haverford SD (includes Pilgrim Gardens section of Drexel Hill which is mostly Upper Darby)
Marple Newtown SD
Springfield Delco SD
Ridley SD
Sun Valley SD
Interboro SD
Upper Darby SD (on the way down though)
Lansdowne (Private school only)

I would skip the districts not mentioned

ASTON TOWNSHIP - Yes, Sun Valley SD parts are ok, Chichester, no way
CHESTER TOWNSHIP - No way
CHESTER CITY {Are some parts/streets of the city to be avoided?} - No way
UPPER CHICHESTER - No way (because of schools)
LOWER CHICHESTER - No way (because of schools)
COLWYN BORO - No way
CONCORD TOWNSHIP - Absolutely
DARBY BORO - No way
DARBY TOWNSHIP - No way
UPPER DARBY TOWNSHIP - only Drexel Hill and Pilgrim Gardens
EDDYSTONE BORO - No way - too industrial, by Chester, bad schools
LANSDOWNE BORO - only if you private school
EAST LANSDOWNE - No way
NEWTOWN TOWNSHIP - Newtown Square - Absolutely
NORWOOD BORO - Ok for now but may be on the downslide like Upper Darby
NETHER PROVIDENCE - ABSOLUTELY, great schools, friendly tho liberal people, but high taxes
RADNOR TOWNSHIP - Snob central but great schools
RIDLEY PARK BORO - Absolutely - Good solid middle class place
RIDLEY TOWNSHIP - Same
SHARON HILL BORO - No way
TRAINER BORO - No way - industrial, bad schools
YEADON BORO - No way

Last edited by orrmobl; 04-26-2009 at 10:44 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 04:32 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,208,299 times
I'd go with anything in UCFSD above all.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:56 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,981,089 times
Default Funny Blog!

Lmao!!!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 AM

24 posts, read 88,957 times
It depends on your price point.. the person looking in Yeadon isn't going to be looking for houses in Radnor. Of all the suburbs on the East side I would think Yeadon, East Lansdowne and lansdowne are the most desirable.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 29,635 times
I live in Upper Chichester and have lived here since 97. I would not recomend this area bc of the schools. I have two daughters my oldest is in the middleschool first year (5th grade). I have not had any problems with this school as of yet. my youngest is in 1st grade and goes to boothwyn elem. I HATE IT. I have dealt with most elem schools in the area. I HATE THEM ALL. WE will be moving only bc of the schools here. everything else as far as shopping and crime I have never been robbed or anything and probly not a bad area if you do not have kids. Taxes are very high. They build new schools all the time but they are just horrible from dealing w the teachers all the way up to the principals. unless you can afford private schools I would stick with garnet valley schools if u do come this way. i would stay away fromdarby, upper darby, yeadon, lansdowne. chester, trainer and sharon hill.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:30 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
I was in Norwood once and it was weird. It has some of the tiniest little doll houses I have ever seen but all beautifully landscaped and meticulously well maintained. I think many are less than 1000 sf and priced around $150,000 Also the whole neighborhood in like an island with very limited access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia