Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 06:10 AM

15 posts, read 49,744 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy a starter home, 3 bedrooms, nice neighborhood near a train station to Philly, 200-250K, good school district, to start a family in. We've been looking at the Wallinford/Springfield area.

In particular, there appears to be a lot in our price range in Wallingford. My concern, is that Wallingford is right next to Chester. So, my question is, what is Wallingfor like? Is it self contained so there there isn't much spillover of crime from Chester? Would you recommend the town for a family starting out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:04 AM

15 posts, read 49,744 times
Also, how is Chester Park? Is it nice? Is it safe? Unfortunately, we've been living with Philadelphia for the last 9 years and are pretty uninformed about this area.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:57 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,529,365 times
Wallingford is a great place to live in every way - people, location, schools. It is insulated from the bad parts of Chester and since there isn't a business district to speak of, Parkside and Brookhaven take the brunt of the traffic and seedy elements going there to shop.

I would guess Chester Park is fine during the day, less so at night, like any park bordering a bad area.

There are so many great things about Wallingford, I wouldn't hesitate to live there if you find a house you love and can stomach the high taxes.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:26 PM

3 posts, read 15,854 times
Default Garden City

Not sure if you ended up moving to Wallingford. We were looking to relocate from Center City, and was interested in getting more information. We looked at some homes in Garden City. Any advice on the area?

Old 02-06-2011, 08:22 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,219,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSign View Post
Would you recommend the town for a family starting out?
Yes.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,219,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-State View Post
Not sure if you ended up moving to Wallingford. We were looking to relocate from Center City, and was interested in getting more information. We looked at some homes in Garden City. Any advice on the area?
Its a safe cozy family community. Great schools, not the most exciting place in the world, houses definitely are on the smaller size. Plenty of surrounding towns offer shopping and restaurants.Media,Swarthmore,Ridley,Springfield,Br ookhaven,Aston.

Keep an eye on property taxes. May be sticker shock coming from Philly.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 15,854 times
Thanks. We're still deciding on living in the city vs moving to the suburbs. I did notice the taxes. Not sure if that should be a deal breaker.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 AM

711 posts, read 1,512,206 times
The taxes are outrageously high.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:39 PM

521 posts, read 1,314,236 times
I am new to the city and live in Center City, and am only renting. But my understanding is that Philly may not have very high property taxes, especially compared to the surrounding suburbs, but then the city tacks on extra fees and charges (trash fee, water runoff fee, etc), and there are specialty districts (such as the Center City District) that add their own fees. Not sure the overall tax burden is more in the 'burbs compared to the city, considering also things such as size of a house and house values (more expensive house = higher tax, even if % if smaller).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia