Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 06:13 AM

5 posts, read 20,756 times

Advertisements

My husband recently took a job in the Princeton area, so we are relocating to either the NJ or Pa area. We currently live on Long Island. We are looking into Yardley/Lower Makefield, and were wondering if anyone could offer their opinion about Pennsbury High School. I hear that it is a good school but we are concerned about the size of it. There is something like 3000 or more students that attend the school. We are worried about the competitiveness of trying to make sports teams and being picked for a college. My son plays baseball and I can't even imagine how hard it would be to make the team. They pick what 25 kids for the team out of a class of 1000. Do a lot of people in Yardley send their children to private schools, for elementary as well as HS, and if so what private school do the HS students go to?

Thank you for any advice you can offer on this. Also, if there are any other towns that are reasonably priced that have an excellent school district, with a reasonable commute to Princeton, could you please offer your advice on that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 04:42 PM

692 posts, read 2,351,737 times
Pennsbury is a great school system, very diversified and lots of options for kids as far as activities. Another good option is Council Rock - which would be the towns of Newtown/Richboro/Holland. It's just as big as Pennsbury though. I personally live in Yardley and will be sending my kids to Pennsbury one day. My mom has worked in the school district 35 years so I know all of the ins and outs - we chose Yardley specifically for the schools (we wanted more diversity than Council Rock had to offer). I think youre making a great decision by focusing on Yardley, especially when commuting to Princeton - it's a very easy commute, my fiance does it a few times a week.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:36 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Even though Pennsbury is a good school district, it is, I agree, a very large high school.

I have known families with kids who opted for private school, despite Pennsbury and Council Rock being so good.

Two I know of are just across the river in NJ: Lawrenceville Prep and Princeton Day School. Then right on the border of Langhorne and Newtown is the George School (an excellent Quaker-founded school that many non-Quakers go to).

Old 09-10-2009, 08:31 AM

692 posts, read 2,351,737 times
The only disadvantage to the private schools is they tend to be a little more "snobby" .. maybe thats just personal opinion, but both myself and a friend went to private schools and now looking back as married adults about to have kids we both wished we had gone to the regular high school to have the life experiences our friends had - which is why I personally am going to send my kids to Pennsbury, I dont want them to be locked in a closet and ignorant to a lot of things I was once I got to college.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:49 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itkt View Post
We are worried about the competitiveness of trying to make sports teams and being picked for a college. My son plays baseball and I can't even imagine how hard it would be to make the team.
Pennsbury is a very good sports school, but I dont know much about their baseball team. I would imagine it is tough to make. As far as college goes, if he's good enough to play college baseball, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:48 PM

26 posts, read 70,731 times
Neshaminy, Council Rock (north and south), Pennsbury, CB east/west - all are similar in their class size. really its a non issue. I graduated Pennsbury and my kids went through Council Rock.
They are literally picture perfect americana school experiences.
Kids have tons of options to explore their talents and interests. Sports are competitive but there is also JV teams for kids that aren't great athletes but want to participate. There are also a ton of inter-mural sports. I had a blast with inter-mural street hockey.

I would never send my kids to any of the princeton private schools. My son went to one for a year. The wealth of the students is intense and it's just an unrealistic environment unless you have the money to follow it with an Ivy college and medical school.

Since your from Long Island I'd compare it to East Hampton money with old Greenwich snobbery. OLD money. I'm a wealthy guy and if my kids wanted to go they could have. Pennsbury/ Council Rock offer great academics for those inclined. Arts for the artsy, theater, sports, - you name it its there.
Incredibly safe, racially tolerant, on and on.

If it sounds like I'm raving about the area .... guess so. But it comes with the experience of living in LOT"S of cities across the country. NYC, LA, Sanfran, San diego, Denver, Boston, Austin, Atlanta, (sales consultant so I've lived in lots of places).
When it came time for my kids to start school I couldn't find anyplace that just had everything Bucks County had to offer so I planted my family here. Only picking Newtown over Yardley because of a particular house we liked.

Google search "pennsbury high school Prom". It has one of the most unique and famous proms in the country.

Bolder Co is the only place that compared and even then, being btwn NYC and Philly offered the best of culture along with fiscally conservative politics while being socially accepting and liberal.
Again - best of all worlds.

The elementary schools are excellent too. Really special.

I think I understand your concerns coming from LI. Come spend a few days in Newtown boro or Yardley boro. My kids loved their childhood. They all got into the college of their choice thanks to the strong academics.

I'll stop raving. PM me if you want more specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia