Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,694 times

Advertisements

Looking for stop-over suggestions enroute to Naples, FL from Philadelphia area. We're splitting this 18-20 hour trip, to include a overnight stay in the Carolinas or Georgia. Any suggestions? Please no Motel 8 or Bob Evans type agendas, as we enjoy fine dining and four star accommodations...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 AM

418 posts, read 1,350,528 times
If this is on the route .. I would stop. ... I would at least look ... it is a rare mid 19th century leftover..

South Of The Border ~ America’s Favorite Highway Oasis

I have never stayed .. But have friends who ALWAYS would stay here.
They traveled up/down a minimum of 2x year .. often more.
It is extremely campy/kitchy .. but might be about a days drive (or less) from most Florida destinations.
They said rooms were very reasonable .. and all that was needed and fun ..
These people lived a four star life .. Large home with pool and staff .. beach condo in NJ ... Galt Ocean mile and boat that they had moved from .. north to south every year .. on the water .. as it was too large to move easily.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:40 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,991,310 times
^ A mid-20th Century leftover.

I would find a B&B in Charleston or Savannah. Charleston is about 11 hours from Philly and Savannah is about 12 (assuming you stop for lunch).

Charleston would be a slight detour off of 95 (but worth it) whereas Savannah is pretty much right on 95. I like both towns. They're different though, so don't think by seeing one that you've seen the other.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:45 AM

8,984 posts, read 21,192,695 times
Charleston/Hilton Head/Savannah.

You may find yourselves tiring by the time you reach Florence, SC which has a plethora of hotel and dining options just off the interstate... but I would definitely not consider any of them to be finer four-star establishments.

You may also want to consult the Travel forum here.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:45 AM

8,984 posts, read 21,192,695 times
Ha... you beat me, solibs!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Ha... you beat me, solibs!
great minds think alike.

I used to live in Charleston so i'm quite familiar with the drive.

If you expect to be passing through the Baltimore/DC area during rush hour do yourself a favor and take US 50 instead. You'll wind up in the same place it'll just be via Dover and Annapolis and you'll miss all of the traffic on 95.

As long as you take a decent rest around the 6 hour mark you'll be fine.

It also helps in planning your breaks to calculate your gas mileage ahead of time. My cars will usually get me about 6 hours on a tank of gas so i like to drive for 3 hours, snack/potty break, then drive for 3 hours and take a longer break to stretch out, have a meal and refuel.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:58 AM

418 posts, read 1,350,528 times
I love Savannah ...
It is a bit off the highway and best if staying a few days.

South of the border is for traveling straight through and staying one night.

If a mini side trip is the preference .. about halfway for a few days .. maybe..

Myrtle Beach SC: Myrtle Beach Hotels, Resorts, Attractions & Vacation Guide

Old 01-26-2010, 10:03 AM

Savannah is only 10 minutes from 95. Charleston is about 45 minutes from 95.

Both towns have the accommodations and restaurants that suit the OP.

My only other suggestions would be Charlotte or Atlanta but neither are nearly as charming as Chuck or Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: