Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 8,592 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are moving to what i guess is called the Delaware Valley. One of us has a job in Wilmington and the other is an architect hoping to work in Philly. We have kids and plan to rent a home/townhome in either Wilmington, Philly, West Chester or Cherry Hill? Any suggestions? Is the commute from Westchester to Philly or Wilmington do-able? What about Cherry Hill to Wilmington /Philly? We thought about the above listed places because we have been told that school districts are great here - anyone have an opinion on any of these places? Thank you so much,
Confused but excited to move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 07:38 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtophilly View Post
Hi,
We are moving to what i guess is called the Delaware Valley. One of us has a job in Wilmington and the other is an architect hoping to work in Philly. We have kids and plan to rent a home/townhome in either Wilmington, Philly, West Chester or Cherry Hill? Any suggestions? Is the commute from Westchester to Philly or Wilmington do-able? What about Cherry Hill to Wilmington /Philly? We thought about the above listed places because we have been told that school districts are great here - anyone have an opinion on any of these places? Thank you so much,
I used to live in Cherry Hill & would go to the Naamans Road area for shopping occasionally. Where you work in Wilmington would dictate whether the commute would be workable. I suggest asking about that on the South Jersey subforum. The link is on top of this page.

Ask on the Delaware forum about schools in northern Delaware.

People on this forum can answer your other questions very well.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:50 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,586,186 times
You might want to check out Media, PA

Media Borough

Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
You might want to check out Media, PA

Media Borough

That's a good idea! Interestingly enough, I happen to remember two TV news personalities- one was Sue Serio, the other was a black guy who did sports on Fox 29 - who lived in Media. Before Sue got hired by Fox herself, I believe she did traffic for the Wilmington radio stations. So that would seem to be a reasonable commute in a comfortable area.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:13 AM

388 posts, read 1,094,410 times
Quote:
Hi,

I would live in West Chester. It is a great town and the commute to Phila or Wilmington is reasonable.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:09 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,389 times
Quote:
Hi,
if it was me, i would live in wilmington. you have the option of either driving to work or just hoping on the r2 and taking the train. driving from cherry hill to delaware is not worth the gas. i think at least one of you should live close to the city you work in and i would choose wilmington.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
if it was me, i would live in wilmington. you have the option of either driving to work or just hoping on the r2 and taking the train. driving from cherry hill to delaware is not worth the gas. i think at least one of you should live close to the city you work in and i would choose wilmington.
Fair enough to choose greater Wilmington as there are some nice neighborhoods in that area. Since they have kids though, it might be nice if both parents' commutes were more equaled out.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:37 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Fair enough to choose greater Wilmington as there are some nice neighborhoods in that area. Since they have kids though, it might be nice if both parents' commutes were more equaled out.
thats just it though. if you have kids, shouldn't ONE of the parents be close to home. what if one of them gets sick or something? i would rather be home in 10-15 minutes as opposed to 30-45 minutes

Old 04-28-2010, 01:28 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,349 times
Maybe investigate Aston or Southwest Delaware County area? Close to I-95 and between Wilmington and Philly.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
thats just it though. if you have kids, shouldn't ONE of the parents be close to home. what if one of them gets sick or something? i would rather be home in 10-15 minutes as opposed to 30-45 minutes
Good point, I didn't think of that. But then, I don't have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia