Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:20 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,533,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So at work today, I was on my break sitting there pondering a recent event in my life between myself and another party, that clearly showed a lack of morality on their part........and then it hit me like a freight train......it had never been so clear to me that "morality" is not and can not be used as an argument for a God. It was truly a Eureka moment for me.

The morality arguemnt fails on one simplistic point....... not everyone has morals. If morals were proof of God, wouldn't it stand to reason that everyone would be born with them? Even watching your late local news should be clear proof that not everyone has morals.

Morality Agrument.....
Fail.

Thoughts?

I can help you here. I see an error in your thinking.

You are assuming that not everyone was born with them since not everyone you witness on the news has them at the time they are shown or told about on the news.

See? Surely we were all born with morals, with a conscience. Young children, before the world defiles them are the closest thing to God. *(not the most prayed-up adult in the world, but the guilelessness of KIDS)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 PM

63,908 posts, read 40,194,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
To positively affirm that there is a "Source" for our reality or that there needs to be one IS unsupportable and ludicrous. To say nothing of a purpose set forth by this "Source".
You are seriously trying to argue that " You don't know what the Source of our reality is . . . but it is NOT God?". . . and you don't think that is ludicrous?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:26 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,143,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I can help you here. I see an error in your thinking.

You are assuming that not everyone was born with them since not everyone you witness on the news has them at the time they are shown or told about on the news.

See? Surely we were all born with morals, with a conscience. Young children, before the world defiles them are the closest thing to God. *(not the most prayed-up adult in the world, but the guilelessness of KIDS)
You must not have kids. Children are taught right from wrong they are not born knowing right from wrong. And children if not taught about a god would know nothing of them.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
You must not have kids. Children are taught right from wrong they are not born knowing right from wrong. And children if not taught about a god would know nothing of them.
I have two daughters, both in their twenties, now. I didn't "teach" them but I "guided" them. I was guiding them to not stray from what they had inside.

Kids are born with a kindred spirit with God and His Holy Spirit. They already KNOW right and wrong. It's in there. They have to be reminded and guided.

Though I cannot prove what I am about to say to myself or anyone else, I betcha that a couple of hundred years ago and all times further back, that kids were in need of less guiding and correction. It was a much slower and quieter world, no temptation of movies, music, such a huge population around them and a barrage of suggestions to act up, nor to be such fast-paced kids.

Therefore, they were more in-tune with their inner-selves, and less apt to act up.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,430,446 times
Quote:
If you believe this and are a Christian, you stand in opposition to the Bible, which teaches that all humans are born sinful.

To be fair, I agree with you that children are basically good. However, I'm an atheist, so that doesn't conflict with my views.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are seriously trying to argue that " You don't know what the Source of our reality is . . . but it is NOT God?". . . and you don't think that is ludicrous?
There is no Source. Why does there need to be?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 PM

63,908 posts, read 40,194,112 times
Quote:
There is no Source. Why does there need to be?
Are you one of those "Poof . . . it just is" types?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
If you believe this and are a Christian, you stand in opposition to the Bible, which teaches that all humans are born sinful.

To be fair, I agree with you that children are basically good. However, I'm an atheist, so that doesn't conflict with my views.
Northstar, no I am not. Stop and ponder this some more. All are slaves to sin, indeed. We all KNOW what is right in our hearts and yet we do not OBEY it every single moment. That's what MAKES us sinners.

We know deep inside when we are doing what is wrong. I'm not off the mark on this one iota.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Kids are born with a kindred spirit with God and His Holy Spirit. They already KNOW right and wrong. It's in there. They have to be reminded and guided.
[/color][/b]
This is an untrue statement. Children are not born with religious belief they must be taught. Do you believe that a child born in India knows the Christian god at birth but is converted to Hinduism? What of children with no contact with the modern world? Are they born with this kindred spirit? Whatever that is. Christians can be some of the most pompous self important people.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Are you one of those "Poof . . . it just is" types?
Sure why not. I find it much more likely that reality came to be without your mysterious Source. You need a mind behind the "Poof" I don't.

In the end I don't know the source of our reality or if there even was a source. I don't know and neither do you. We never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy