Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:12 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,053,449 times

Advertisements

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

are you implying that concern for others is non-rational?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 AM

335 posts, read 334,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
I have no idea what you are trying to say.

are you implying that concern for others is non-rational?
You are reading things into what I post that aren't there; no wonder you don't understand. I never mentioned concern for others.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:58 AM

thats why it was a question.

if you would explain what you are saying then I wouldnt need to try to read things into it.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
I didn't say "irrational." I said "non-rational." What we are likely to do if we are not "free" is what natural selection has wired us to do, picking and choosing via survival and death. This would be "rational," I suppose, so far as it is possible to discern it, but it might not be what I would choose when I am free.
survival and death? Thats your idea of rational?

I have no idea where you are coming from.

none whatsoever.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
survival and death? Thats your idea of rational?

I have no idea where you are coming from.

none whatsoever.
OK. I'm happy to leave it at that. There are many who do understand.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:45 AM

Well I can only guess but you seem to be saying that if man is rational then man is just an animal.

Quite the opposite. It is reason that elevates man above the animals.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:09 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,372,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
Well, yes, but can you see that if you make a strictly "rational" decision (or at least one that your brain thinks is "rational," since I doubt such a thing ever really exists), that this is not a free choice. What is "rational" is making the choice, and you are only obeying.

This is my quandary: I think it is necessary that free will exist or we are only machines, not beings, but I can't see how it could exist in a world of cause and effect. There has to be some non-rational, non-emotional, non-caused, non-random means by which we overcome what we are compelled to do and do something else that we freely have chosen. It all strikes me as spooky in an Einsteinian sense.

Please don't accuse me of having an answer to this; I don't have an answer to this and a lot of other things, but I do work hard at trying to understand the problem.
Reminds me of book I read last year (and which I took notes on), perhaps it might interest you.
Here are a few lines that address/explore causation & "free will", I boldfaced one of the sentences that really gets at the heart of the predicament.
Excerpts from "Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain" by David Eagleman, 2011-
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg.162:
"In fact, it is not clear how much the conscious you-as opposed to the genetic and neural you-gets to do any deciding at all."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg.166:
"The crux of the question is whether all of your actions are fundamentally on autopilot or whether there is some little bit that is 'free' to choose, independent of the rules of biology. This has always been the sticking point for both philosophers and scientists. As far as we can tell, all activity in the brain is driven by other activity in the brain, in a vastly complex, interconnected network."
"So in our current understanding of science, we can't find the physical gap in which to slip free will-the uncaused causer-because there seems to be no part of the machinery that does not follow in a causal relationship from the other parts."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg.168:
"A system that is probabilistic and unpredictable is every bit as unsatisfying as a system that is deterministic, because in both cases there's no choice."

Old 12-08-2012, 02:16 PM

if you were free would you not choose to make your decisions rationally?

If so then what is the need for "freewill"

You simply "are" that part of the brain that makes the decisions.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
if you were free would you not choose to make your decisions rationally?

If so then what is the need for "freewill"

You simply "are" that part of the brain that makes the decisions.
You assume there is such a thing as "the rational choice" in all cases. This is probably very rarely if ever the case. I don't really know what is meant by "rational." To be sure I have a notion, but in each case when I drill down into it I generally find that my biases cause me to think I'm rational when the reality is not so easy.

If the assumption that there is always a rational choice is correct, then, and if you always took it, then you would never exercise free will. You would always be controlled by the rational consideration and your choices would always be determined. In that case, a conscious, free-will being will sometimes do something irrational, if for no reason other than to remain free.

We have the notion of a "whim," and I think this word captures those situations when we are acting freely. When we carefully consider a matter, and weight the choices, and choose whatever seems best by some standard or another (what is rational, what is moral, what God would want, what is best for the world, what is best for me, what is best for my child -- the possible standards are endless) then our choice is determined by the outcome of our considerations and there is no free will involved.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:50 PM

rational is that which leads to our goals and irrational is that which leads away from our goals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy