Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post
JJ was actually responding to OP original question, did the original questions slip your mind? Are you a man?
LOL, yes, I'm a man ... with egg on his face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 05:00 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post

But this reverses itself after age 48, when men are happier than women on average.:
That's another thing I've seen the opposite of,men seem to be more beaten down...probably because they're expected to carry more of the weight in relationships and women I usually see are giddy and carefree and not a sad one among them.

Perhaps this is predominantly a northeastern thing,where I've spent most of my life.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I'm still on the topic too. Perhaps you would like to reread the first post. The OP gave a completely anecdotal theory and presented it as if his observations were 'fact'.
He did not present it as fact. He was careful to use tentative words, such as "noticed" (admitting subjectivity) and "seem" (admitting lack of information). Be fair now.

Quote:
He then opined that the reason females are attracted to cities is due to being shopaholic dimwits with short attention spans.
Yes, well, I missed that. Short-attention-span male here.

Quote:
Let's say women ARE drawn to cities. Did the OP consider that cities offer more opportunity for career advancement? Course not.
Why would that be different for women than it is for men? Are women more ambitious or something?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Exactly. It's the equivalent of me saying "In my observations, I noticed more men at the grocery store."

I'm still on the topic too. Perhaps you would like to reread the first post. The OP gave a completely anecdotal theory and presented it as if his observations were 'fact'. He then opined that the reason females are attracted to cities is due to being shopaholic dimwits with short attention spans.

"I've noticed more men at grocery stores. Is it perhaps because they're lost? I mean obviously they can't cook, poor dears. My theory is that they wandered over from the liquor store across the way due to their short attention spans."

Let's say women ARE drawn to cities. Did the OP consider that cities offer more opportunity for career advancement? Course not.
Did I hit a nerve dear? Cities may offer opportunities for 'career advancement'...but it depends on the career. How many female farmers are there,for example? And actually there are becoming better job opportunities out in places such as North Dakota,simply because most people tend to gravitate towards the cities.

When I moved to Philadelphia in 2003 I was shocked at the low amount of jobs offered here...I've seen more opportunities in areas outside of here!

Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,286,861 times
Quote:
JJ was actually responding to OP original question, did the original questions slip your mind? Are you a man?
Quote:
LOL, yes, I'm a man ... with egg on his face.
But you Are wearing that egg much better than you were at 1:32 PM. Like a Sir civil conversation like a sir - Feel Like A Sir | Meme Generator

Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,852,616 times
Quote:
He did not present it as fact. He was careful to use tentative words, such as "noticed" (admitting subjectivity) and "seem" (admitting lack of information). Be fair now.
Quote:

Okay, I will give you that. But when presented with opposite anecdotal evidence, he was dismissive. When presented with statistical evidence, he was equally dismissive.

Quote:
Why would that be different for women than it is for men? Are women more ambitious or something?

Perhaps they are. My point is that the OP wouldn't consider such a possibility because it doesn't match their existing view of women. Just as they are dismissive of anecdotal and statistical evidence that doesn't fit their theory.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,286,861 times
Quote:

Okay, I will give you that. But when presented with opposite anecdotal evidence, he was dismissive. When presented with statistical evidence, he was equally dismissive.

Perhaps they are. My point is that the OP wouldn't consider such a possibility because it doesn't match their existing view of women. Just as they are dismissive of anecdotal and statistical evidence that doesn't fit their theory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I've noticed that women seem to like/gravitate towards the city life whereas men can go either way and make a home out in the country...is it the social/shopping aspect perhaps or do they just have a shorter attention span and need more activity?...
The OP original post is worded in a way that solicits the type of answers he would like to get: Thinly veiled misogyny, couched in "why are you getting so upset" innocence, wrapped up in an unthreatening smiley face

Old 01-02-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
The OP original post is worded in a way that solicits the type of answers he would like to get: Thinly veiled misogyny, couched in "why are you getting so upset" innocence, wrapped up in an unthreatening smiley face
Nice analysis but I think you people are overthinking things a bit,and also 'dismissive' of the fact that I had stated more than once that it was just an observation...

Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Perhaps they are. My point is that the OP wouldn't consider such a possibility because it doesn't match their existing view of women.

You mean "his existing view of women". The OP is a he, and there's only one of him.

Sure, he has a bias, we all do - but I don't think it follows that he won't consider alternative explanations. That's a rather prejudiced statement right there.

Quote:
Just as they are dismissive of anecdotal and statistical evidence that doesn't fit their theory.

I think you mean "he is dismissive ..." Why the masculine-pronoun-o-phobia?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 PM

Yep,definitely overanalyzing...I wish I had that much time on my hands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy