Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:02 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,277 times

Advertisements

I don't give anything, ever. I've seen over the years that they're either professional beggars or con artists, and too often both. The people who genuinely need help aren't out begging. If they're in the system (shelters, plasma donation, day labor, soup kitchens), they've got a full-time job just trying to hold it together...or at least that was my experience.

Actually, there was a lot of boredom time, until I discovered the public library. Even that took some work, because I desperately didn't want to be a stinky homeless person. But I still made the rounds, swept out rail cars when I wanted some extra money, that or sold plasma. I really didn't stay in shelters much- too dangerous, too much risk of having what little i owned stolen or broken.

It's funny- i hadn't thought about that time in years until I started reading this thread. I knew I never gave to street beggars, but never gave a thought to why not. It's because they're fakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 12:40 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
I rarely give money to panhandlers for the reasons given by others. But I donate each month to 5-6 charities through automatic payroll deductions and these generally include a homeless shelter, a shelter for abused women, and a food bank.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:01 AM

321 posts, read 532,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanevery View Post
And I stand by my claim that they're almost never panhandling for food,
Well, I learned something last night on the streets of St. Augustine. It was warmer than it had been, but drizzling, so I thought to read a book in one of the covered areas in the main square. First I tried the gazebo, as there were 2 guys talking there who seemed homeless. Maybe they would be the sort of people I might make friends or acquaintances with. But as I sat there, they seemed pretty engrossed in some conversation about some drama they were going through with someone else. I decided I didn't need to know about it, and it wasn't proving easy to read, so enough of the eavesdropping here.

I moved to the small Farmer's Market pavilion. I sat in the middle, and 3 drunks were talking 20 feet away on the corner. They weren't the sort of people I'd want to make friends with. Seems one of them *was* hungry. He wanted to send someone somewhere to buy something. I don't know if he had a convenience store, a takeout place, or a regular grocery store in mind, but I suspect one of the former two options. A proper grocery store is somewhat far from the downtown square. Walkable if you're motivated, but it is 2 miles. Easy by bus if you have a free bus pass and are motivated to follow the schedule, but I can see those things not being true.

So, maybe some of their money *does* go to food. But it's for stupid convenience food, I think. High price, so they don't have to go anywhere or do anything. Easier to just beg and get everyone else to pay for convenience food. And the beer, don't forget the beer. These were drunks, and I've had a semi-functional homeless friend who sadly was a drunk. I guarantee you they'll walk to get to the beer if they have to, but to get real food, or save money on that transaction, from what I've seen I really don't think it's within their sphere of priorities. I don't begrudge my drunk friend because he wasn't begging, he was selling animal balloons, and choosing how to spend his own money however foolishly. But the panhandlers, using other people's money so they don't have to do anything basic like walk to the grocery store and shop frugally, I begrudge. I do it, so they can do it too.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:53 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
I'm curious to see what everyone's personal philosophy is towards giving money to beggars. I'm not talking about volunteering at a soup kitchen or donating to a homeless advocacy organization here. I'm talking about giving to the homeless person standing holding a cardboard sign at the freeway exit ramp or the blind guy sitting next to the trash can at the subway station.

My personal philosophy is to only give to the disabled and sometimes the elderly depending on how frail they look. I used to give money to military veterans too, but after reading in the local paper about a frauds posing as Vietnam vets I stopped doing that. I absolutely do not give a cent to people who look like they have the physical and mental capacity to work. I can't tell you the number of times I've been asked for money by tall, muscular men who look more fit than I am. As far as what I give, usually it's about $2-$4, depending on what loose bills I have in my pocket as I never take out my wallet anywhere except to pay for something. I don't usually give change. It feels too demeaning to throw a few quarters into someone's cup, as if they were a water fountain or something like that. I don't give food, as that's usually not what they want. I could care less whether the person was going to spend that money on booze, drugs or prostitutes.
How can you tell if someone has the mental capacity to work? You'd be surprised at how many homeless people are absolutely incapable of working due to mental incapacity. If I pass those people by and have some money on me, I usually give them some. If it helps them get through the day, then I'm happy to do it. And if that person is really scamming me, I will never know and could care less because I'm only out a few dollars. I have a family member who is schizophrenic, so I understand what some people go through and how utterly incapable they are in negotiating the mental healthcare establishment or keeping a job or staying on medication when they have no one else to help them do those things. If it wasn't for this kid's mom, he would be living under a bridge or have committed suicide years ago.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:02 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times
I never give money to these people, simply because I know some of them around my area will just take it to buy alcohol which does not help them out. I have, however, been known to stop at the local dollar store, and pick up a couple drinks and a snack of some kind and hand that over, it's the same amount as if I were to hand them the money, buy I know it's going to sustenance instead of booze.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:55 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,939,617 times
I'll give money if:

1. I don't immediately smell alcohol or suspect intoxication,

or

2. if the person isn't exhibiting blatantly schizophrenic behavior.

Consequently, I rarely end up doling it out.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:24 AM

654 posts, read 945,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
I'm curious to see what everyone's personal philosophy is towards giving money to beggars. I'm not talking about volunteering at a soup kitchen or donating to a homeless advocacy organization here. I'm talking about giving to the homeless person standing holding a cardboard sign at the freeway exit ramp or the blind guy sitting next to the trash can at the subway station.

My personal philosophy is to only give to the disabled and sometimes the elderly depending on how frail they look. I used to give money to military veterans too, but after reading in the local paper about a frauds posing as Vietnam vets I stopped doing that. I absolutely do not give a cent to people who look like they have the physical and mental capacity to work. I can't tell you the number of times I've been asked for money by tall, muscular men who look more fit than I am. As far as what I give, usually it's about $2-$4, depending on what loose bills I have in my pocket as I never take out my wallet anywhere except to pay for something. I don't usually give change. It feels too demeaning to throw a few quarters into someone's cup, as if they were a water fountain or something like that. I don't give food, as that's usually not what they want. I could care less whether the person was going to spend that money on booze, drugs or prostitutes.
A lot of beggars in the city are obviously disabled. I give these people change when I have it. However, I also do something else; this story will illustrate. Last week, a very large, wheelchair bound man was begging for change in front of a building downtown. He definitely looked homeless. I told him what I tell a lot of these people: Go to the Social Security office or the welfare office and apply for benefits. They'll be able to give you far more help than you'll get from me, or from other passersby.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:36 AM

321 posts, read 532,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
How can you tell if someone has the mental capacity to work?
By talking to them, observing their eye movement and body language, and noticing how off they are? I think I've got a pretty good radar for mental problems at this point, although it's possible someone's got something I can't easily notice.

Quote:
You'd be surprised at how many homeless people are absolutely incapable of working due to mental incapacity.
No I wouldn't. I live out of my car. Also I lived in Seattle for 11 years with homeless people panhandling me within 2 blocks of my apartment nearly every day. I've professionally registered homeless people to vote too. I don't know everything that's going on with them, for sure, but I'm no spring chicken either.

Quote:
If I pass those people by and have some money on me, I usually give them some. If it helps them get through the day, then I'm happy to do it.
Maybe that makes you happy, but I don't think you're even helping them. How is buying someone alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs helping them? Give them some food. Give them a 1-man tent. Give them a winter weight sleeping bag. Give them a pair of ski pants.

Quote:
And if that person is really scamming me, I will never know and could care less because I'm only out a few dollars.
Which says to me you don't care enough to really help, by thinking through how they actually behave and what they really need. You just do what's easy for you to do, because you're wealthy enough to not miss a few bucks.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:51 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
i consider them thieves and scam artist, holding the sign, stranded need gas money but they been on that corner daily for twenty years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy