Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 03:53 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Until you can show us empirical evidence for your Creation Myth you have nothing worth talking about here.
Exactly. I've heard this logical fallacy many times: Even if evolution is completely disproved, this in no way evinces god's existence.

Think of it this way: We know there's no life on the moon (orbiting earth). Is this evidence for god's existence? I don't see how it possibly can be.

Even if evolution is entirely disproved there is still no evidence for the existence of god. Period.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:03 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Exactly. I've heard this logical fallacy many times.
It's all just ID/Creation Myth rubbish.

Quote:
Even if evolution is completely disproved, this in no way evinces god's existence.

Think of it this way: We know there's no life on the moon (orbiting earth). Is this evidence for god's existence? I don't see how it possibly can be.

Even if evolution is entirely disproved there is still no evidence for the existence of god. Period.
Evolution will never be disproved...there is too much supporting evidence and we are acquiring more and more as time goes on.

It would have never made it to the status of being a Theory if did not have the enormous data to support it at this level.

It will no doubt become a Law in time.

Last edited by Matadora; 07-14-2015 at 04:29 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 07:08 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Exactly. I've heard this logical fallacy many times: Even if evolution is completely disproved, this in no way evinces god's existence.

They should use evolution. They would have more people thinking that they are at least trying.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:13 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,739 times

Does the belief in Evolution disprove the Existence of a God ?

Old 07-15-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Evolution will never be disproved...there is too much supporting evidence and we are acquiring more and more as time goes on.

It would have never made it to the status of being a Theory if did not have the enormous data to support it at this level.

It will no doubt become a Law in time.
While I would never say never, after over 200 years of compound evidence supporting evolution, I essentially agree. It's very improbable evolution will ever be disproved. But the only sliver of doubt that remains is purely technical/etiological terms. For practical purposes evolution is essentially fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post

Not at all. It's entirely possible god exists and evolution is true. It's also possible (highly unlikely) evolution is false and god does not exist.

That's part of my original point: Many ID/creationists make the logical fallacy that attempting to discredit evolution somehow makes it more likely god exists; it does not.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:46 AM

"evolution" is an unifying theory that ties many other areas of study together. If one lays out the facts and honestly discusses the observations there is no logical fallacy or disproving it.

we have 4 options.
1) god did it through evolution.
2) god went "poof there it is"
3) something else is going on that isn't a "Omni-dude" talked about in many religions.
4) there is "no-nothing" of higher order complexity.

Numbers two and four are the least probable conclusions and people holding to these beliefs have little right to be forcing this belief onto others. They are belief systems with little to no observational evidence. They not only are statements about beliefs and not knowledge, they rely on the lack of knowledge to true.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:57 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post

Quite the contrary. I would recommend as an example the books of Kenneth Miller which are written from the perspective of a devout Catholic who has more than reconciled his acceptance of the facts of evolution with his chosen brand of theism.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:47 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
you are 1/2 right but only half. Most of us say "your type of god does not match observations." "evolution" doesn't show anything for certain but it kind of looks like a god thing did not go "poof there it is". In fact, evolution shows that the stance of "something" is more reasonable than "no-nothing".

But, either way, "poof there it is" is silly. And worse than that, forcing it on us as the only true way is insane.
The "forcing it on us" thing cuts in both directions. The implication that we've all come from nothing and are going to nothing due to atheistic Darwinism as 'taught' by many public school teachers in 'SCIENCE' class (supposed) is "forcing" a philosophical worldview ideology.

As far as my "type of God," you're entitled to your opinion. Producing empirical data to support the notion of completely unguided random events would be more convincing I think.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
The "forcing it on us" thing cuts in both directions. The implication that we've all come from nothing and are going to nothing due to atheistic Darwinism as 'taught' by many public school teachers in 'SCIENCE' class (supposed) is "forcing" a philosophical worldview ideology.

As far as my "type of God," you're entitled to your opinion. Producing empirical data to support the notion of completely unguided random events would be more convincing I think.
now, you don't understand understand science. its not forcing. The students get to decide for themselves and most teachers would love for a student to prove them wrong. Be that as it may.

true. Those that say its "random" and this "Random" proves no god are just as bad. I mean how many times can a person say random while describing evolution before they realize how silly it sounds.

Christians are not the only belief system with fundiez. All belief systems have them, including atheist.

I disagree with "I am entitled to an opinion". not everybody is "entitled" to an opinion. That's what got us in this religious muck about.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 07-18-2015 at 11:37 AM..

Old 07-19-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
You misunderstand what 'forcing' actually means. Forcing is forcibly converting aboriginal inhabitants to accept Christianity or otherwise be killed, the way so many Westerners did on many occasions when they encountered aboriginals.

That our consciousness didn't exist before we did, and will therefore cease when we die is simply the most highly probable reality. Since we can't know for certain what happens after we die until we get there, we don't know this is the case with absolute certainty. However, since consciousness seems to emerge from our brain, and our brain ceases to function when we die, it's highly probably consciousness also ceases.

To me this seems very simple. If there's anything that seems unclear to you, I'll be happy to offer further explanation if I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy