Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 08:22 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Keep researching.
I don't need to...I hold a MS in Molecular Diagnostics therefore genetics is not a weakness of mine.

It's you who's made those claims so I am asking you to display your knowledge in making such claims. So far you have failed.

I doubt you even understand what Natural Selection is about.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:27 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,780 times
Lol. Looks like you found your answers. Glad to hear it.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Lol. Looks like you found your answers. Glad to hear it.
Pretty sad that you come to this thread and waste pages spreading your nonsense but you can't back it up or hold an intelligent discussion.

What's the point of that?

Old 09-21-2015, 11:18 PM

Hi richrf,

Perhaps you misunderstood the contribution of Darwin's work.

Before Darwin, the orthodox version of human creation, at least from the advent of Christianity, had been the account found in Genesis. Darwin’s work changed all that. Although his conception of the human race as being descended from lower forms of animal life was contested, sometimes bitterly, for decades, it is now part of the accepted body of scientific knowledge.

The most significant issue raised by the theory of Evolution is not, as most of its critics believed, one of fact but one of value.

On another note this quote from The Descent of Man, 1871 is spot on!

Quote:
The idea of a universal and beneficent Creator does not seem to arise in the mind of man, until he has been elevated by long-continued culture.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:11 AM

I can't resist. Some profound scientific conclusions about Evolution:

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sundaytim...y-of-evolution

"Fossils prove that species have disappeared, while current species have not always existed."

"The resistance of bacteria against antibiotics is proof that organisms can evolve over much shorter periods of time."

"The theory of evolution explains the world around us but doesn't say anything about beliefs or the existence of God,"

"But in reality, the characteristics conserved by natural selection are not always beneficial, as Laurent Keller explains. "A profitable characteristic for an individual can sometimes prove to be harmful for the population in the long term."

"We do have a common ancestor with the chimpanzee, but it was neither a monkey nor a human," Keller adds. "We don't exactly know who we descend from."
In other words, transformations are random, but the processes through which they are kept or not (which is known as natural selection) has nothing to do with chance.

"In this way, the most complex characteristics observed in nature did not appear by chance. They are the result of a selection that favored the most well-adapted individuals most likely to reproduce."

"It's quite the opposite because evolution is everywhere in our everyday lives," says Tania Jenkins. "If we have such a diversity of cheese, beer or wine, it's thanks to the diversity of bacteria, yeast and fruit!"

So in a nutshell:

Things change. Everything is changing! Big stuff and small stuff! Sometimes fast and sometimes slow. Sometimes for the better. Sometimes for the worse. Nature is selecting. And it is selecting those that survive. How do we know this? Because they survived of course!

Something this profound needs more funding for further study! As a Doaist, where can I apply?

Last edited by richrf; 09-22-2015 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-22-2015, 08:58 AM

Everything that you quoted from that link is old news to anyone who understands Evolution. It's also the same exact information contained in this link:

Misconceptions about evolution

Sure things change and always will.

Your narrow perspectives won't allow you to appreciate how life on this planet Evolved.

You are so far behind in understanding the purpose of research that it's pointless even trying to discuss anything with you.

Most research in any area always results in advanced breakthroughs in many other areas of science.

Evolutionary research is no different:

The great opportunity: Evolutionary applications to medicine and public health

Perhaps if you were a true philosopher you would get it.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Everything that you quoted from that link is old news to anyone who understands Evolution. It's also the same exact information contained in this link:

Misconceptions about evolution

Sure things change and always will.

Your narrow perspectives won't allow you to appreciate how life on this planet Evolved.

You are so far behind in understanding the purpose of research that it's pointless even trying to discuss anything with you.

Most research in any area always results in advanced breakthroughs in many other areas of science.

Evolutionary research is no different:

The great opportunity: Evolutionary applications to medicine and public health

Perhaps if you were a true philosopher you would get it.
Ah yes. The marketing pitch. We will cure disease!

Agreed. I believe everyone should be involved in studying change in order to cure disease. Being one who loves to observe (I am awake 16 hours a day), I would like to participate. Where do I go for funding?

Old 09-22-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Ah yes. The marketing pitch. We will cure disease!

Agreed. I believe everyone should be involved in studying change in order to cure disease. Being one who loves to observe (I am awake 16 hours a day), I would like to participate. Where do I go for funding?
There is no marketing pitch making such a claim anywhere in that paper.

You are just too shallow and blindly self-conditioned to understand what research is about.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:26 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
My beliefs are based upon a lifetime of observation, study, and personal experience in many areas of endeavor including personal health, sports, martial arts, meditation, dance, music, science, philosophy, psychology, literature, art, Daoism, Buddhism, Tai Chi, yoga, history, singing, people watching, commerce, computer technology, finance. I observe common patterns and I use Creative thought to build an explanation of these common patterns deriving much from former philosophers/scientists most especially the Daoists, Heraclitus, David Bohm, John Bell, Henri Bergson, Louis de Broglie, Itzhak Bentov.

In other words I am a philosopher.
I am cool with that. Until it is used to answer real questions. The fundamental field is a philosophy that that not only has no evidence, it counters everything we know. I only deal in da real.

I am an engineer.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:23 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
My beliefs are based upon a lifetime of observation, study, and personal experience in many areas of endeavor including personal health, sports, martial arts, meditation, dance, music, science, philosophy, psychology, literature, art, Daoism, Buddhism, Tai Chi, yoga, history, singing, people watching, commerce, computer technology, finance. I observe common patterns and I use Creative thought to build an explanation of these common patterns deriving much from former philosophers/scientists most especially the Daoists, Heraclitus, David Bohm, John Bell, Henri Bergson, Louis de Broglie, Itzhak Bentov.

In other words I am a philosopher.
hey ... I just realized all these pieces add up to "you". You have emerged from the list of these experiences and the interactions of the energy that make you up. The field that is you has "emerged". Use no adjectives when describing what you see, they tend to skew them twards personal meaning, personal emotional needs, or deeply wanted results. Worse than that they can turn what you know into all that is needed "to know ".

We are a soup of interactions. No interactions = No soup.

And you still haven't made up the base axiom. It looks like your axiom might be 'one's personal experiences are enough to answer all questions correctly" You see the flaw here? This is another reason I shy away from budhism. You and a teacher might not be enough either.

Mine is "layout the data and then try and come up with a story that ties it together." Then ask others about it. And repeat that ... again, and again. My "adjectives" would not indicate how I feel about it, but they would show that it is ok to change you mind based on a new piece of data. Never hold onto 100%. Unless you ride motocross.

see ya in few days, I got a real job again. sometimes I wish I could hide inside philosophy. I guess that's what the drink does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy