Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:12 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
They are afraid they will face God. What will it be heaven or hell, chose wisely while alive...
Believe or else - god as a despot - and a follower glad to ingratiate themselves with such rubbish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 08:29 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,580 times
It's not the being dead part that scares me.

It's the gettin' dead part.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:34 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
The reason people are terrified of dying is called Natural Selection. If you have this trait (like the vast majority of the people do), you will go to virtually any length to survive, if it is at all possible.

Those people that had this trait survived and bred more than those who didn't have it. Now, virtually everyone has the trait, and those born without it tend to be less reproductively successful in the future.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:49 AM

685 posts, read 721,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I think its the unknown.
Bingo. William Golding's, "Lord of the Flies," was about what happens when the theme is fear of the unknown. We react to a number of things in our society based on that and it's used by the upper-eschelon and some religions do do just that.

I'm afraid of what the process will involve. It's not exactly fear of the unknown (I don't know what happens after but am not afraid of that at all).

Old 01-30-2015, 10:05 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,160 times
Default All Gave Some, Some Gave All.

There are some, who never even though about it, day after day they place themselves in harms way, so others may live.

-343- The Thin Red Line.

When they come a wuil staun ma groon. Staun ma groon al nae be afraid.
When they come I will stand my ground. Stand my ground I'll not be afraid.

Knight

Old 01-31-2015, 09:22 AM

386 posts, read 327,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Puzzles me greatly why anyone wants to worship this mythical egotistical monster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post

The idea should be ridiculed and scorned at.

The answer to what is bolded is neither. No evidence that anything will happen after life except death.

The evidence is God's creation and His word that is the truth. Pride leads to destruction. Turn from it and seek a God that invites you to his world. Deny Him and you will be isolated and left to your misguided wisdom.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:03 PM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:

The evidence is God's creation and His word that is the truth. Pride leads to destruction. Turn from it and seek a God that invites you to his world. Deny Him and you will be isolated and left to your misguided wisdom.
Just more empty threats that I scoff at. You are too far gone to comprehend common sense. I have already mentioned I will not be a slave, especially to an non-existent deity.

Enjoy the fantasy.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:06 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,629 times
Not everyone is. The question should be Why are some people afraid to die. Most people with true confidence in themself and their beliefs are not afraid to die. In fact, it may be a comforting thought to many.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Believe or else - god as a despot - and a follower glad to ingratiate themselves with such rubbish.
You sound like a real swell fellow, so full of yourself, hypocrisy and hate.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:

People need to figure things out for themselves however. If you preach to deaf people you are only wasting your time and breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy