Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 09:25 PM

156 posts, read 219,619 times

Advertisements

Man slashes dad, leaps from 46th-floor UES apartment - NY Daily News

27 year old waiter is living with his financially successful parents in what I assume is a pretty small NYC apartment. Stabs his father at 6:30 AM and jumps out of his bedroom window.

If I had a net worth of $10m plus this would not be happening, no way, no how. Adult children living at home and working service jobs is a working class problem, I don't understand how the rich continually allow finance to ruin their lives!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/12/bu...doff.html?_r=0

The Madoffs? What are these fools doing? Getting put in jail for 30+ years and having your kid hang himself? How do you screw up fortune so badly?

Old 11-12-2015, 05:25 AM

94 posts, read 90,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkIntellect View Post
If I had a net worth of $10m plus this would not be happening, no way, no how.
Easier said than done. I think your view is a little biased. Rich bastards, surprisingly, have sh*t that they have to deal with too. Maybe on the regular they don't worry about their financial problems, but what about anxiety disorder, insomnia, depression, autism, schizophrenia to name a few? Are they not "real problems" compared to what poor folks go through? Just my two cents.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:56 AM

15,652 posts, read 10,413,163 times
Do you always stereotype, OP?

Old 11-12-2015, 07:14 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,758,242 times
so poor people are incapable of stupid heinous crimes?

Old 11-12-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikhung01 View Post
Easier said than done. I think your view is a little biased. Rich bastards, surprisingly, have sh*t that they have to deal with too. Maybe on the regular they don't worry about their financial problems, but what about anxiety disorder, insomnia, depression, autism, schizophrenia to name a few? Are they not "real problems" compared to what poor folks go through? Just my two cents.
No, I completely understand that they have problems, but these two instances I see working class problems ruining their lives.

Anxiety, depression, insomnia, autism, are very difficult problems that I have personally experienced, but they are MUCH easier and daresay tolerable if you do not have to deal with an employer or landlord that will put you out on the street.

If I am worth 8 figures, my 27 year old son will not be living with me in an apartment and working a low-wage service job until he snaps.

Your whole family being prosecuted and going to jail is definitely a working-class problem I'd be able to avoid if I was rich.

Barring bad luck (accident, illness, random crime), is it really that hard to live a pleasant life if you have complete freedom and the power to answer to no one?

On a more general note, I consistently see rich people who do not utilize their wealth. Working long hours, neglecting their kids, divorce due to the stress.

I knew a family worth a few hundred million who had a lifelong drug addiction with one of their sons, who died at a young age. The father quit his job after his kid died. If i'm middle class, my options are limited to budget rehabs and half-way houses. If I have an unlimited credit card, I can:

1. Move my kid to Saudi Arabia, very low drug use
2. Hire a full-time personal mentor to keep tabs on my kid
3. Make sure that my kid wants for nothing besides drugs
4. Quit my damn job and make sure my family is fixed

These ideas might not work, but the key is that you can think outside of the box in order to solve the problem. Drug addiction is different than the first two cases, but am I crazy to think that the majority of these problems can be fixed if an alternate, budget free method is considered?

Old 11-12-2015, 04:45 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,783,137 times
Poor guy had mental problems and was on Prozac, suicide and mental illness is not about how much money you have. May he rest in peace.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Poor guy had mental problems and was on Prozac, suicide and mental illness is not about how much money you have. May he rest in peace.
In this case, I disagree. His life sounded like it sucked. 27, top college grad, living with parents in an apartment and working as a waiter.

A prescription of only Prozac is generally not a heavy-duty mental illness.

If I had money like this, this problem does not happen. Period.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:02 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,378,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
You nailed it!!
Mental illness is not just a problem in the poorer population..thos "richey rich" have far more options to treat/interventions etc..Yet it always comes down to the cause's.."Mental Illness"..Money / Wealth / cannot change the afflictions..however..attitude's towards it seems to want to blame "Other's" for it.

That goes too for pharmaceutical addictions...It's EVERYBODY's problem ( society) not a rich/poor problem and the sooner society accepts/ agrees to deal with it humanely..the better!!

The terms I keep reading range from loser..druggy..thug..taker..whiner..illiterate..and the list is endless. Inability to deal with life is NOT "Class" oriented..It's across the whole classifications of citizens who some love to declare!!

Old 11-12-2015, 05:05 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,296,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkIntellect View Post
In this case, I disagree. His life sounded like it sucked. 27, top college grad, living with parents in an apartment and working as a waiter.

A prescription of only Prozac is generally not a heavy-duty mental illness.

If I had money like this, this problem does not happen. Period.

Obviously it does happen and money does not "fix" everything or buy love.

Your love of money has skewed your reality.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Obviously it does happen and money does not "fix" everything or buy love.

Your love of money has skewed your reality.
Funny quote. I definitely have a love of money, because it not only guarantees survival, it pretty much guarantees happiness.

Believe me, this sounds like a fixable situation.

1) He was living with his parents, working as a waiter so probably very little financial future
2) He was living with his parents, so probably wasn't getting laid very often
3) Him and his father were fighting with each other at 6:30 AM, probably before their early morning commute

I can wipe all of those problems out with the right amount of money, guaranteed.

How about Madoff? Raises billions of dollars, can be extremely wealthy just living off the managements fees, decides to ruin his entire family's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.