Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 12:15 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times

Advertisements

Nothing.

Literally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 07:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
as long as I don't come back I dont care what happens.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:46 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeley_Ramirez View Post
Do you go to heaven, can you still see and breathe, will you have a next life?
I don't know, and no one else does either. We will, however, all find out eventually.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:49 AM

652 posts, read 874,362 times
I am convinced that when I die, everything on this earth will die. I am convinced that if I continue living that death will occur just as it always has since long before I graced this earth with my presence.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Nothing.

Literally.
Prove it!

Old 03-21-2016, 03:54 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
The absolute freedom and liberation of non existence.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:46 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
I'm surprised at the number of people who believe it is in any way likely that they will continue existing despite the physical destruction of their bodies. We already know there are regions of the brain that are required in order for a person to be conscious, such as the reticular formation. If that area of the brain is inactive, you are unconscious. How on earth do so many people believe that the entire destruction of their entire brain would not entirely eliminate "them"?

Hanging onto this sort of non-physical view of the self belongs in some other century. I can't believe that modern science's explanation of our subjective experience in physical terms hasn't persuaded more people to view themselves as fundamentally physical beings.

You have no "energy" apart from your physical body. You have no spirit apart from your physical brain. Those are the messages supported by the evidence. You will never "find out" what happens when you die because you will cease to exist when you die.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:57 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I'm surprised at the number of people who believe it is in any way likely that they will continue existing despite the physical destruction of their bodies. We already know there are regions of the brain that are required in order for a person to be conscious, such as the reticular formation. If that area of the brain is inactive, you are unconscious. How on earth do so many people believe that the entire destruction of their entire brain would not entirely eliminate "them"?

Hanging onto this sort of non-physical view of the self belongs in some other century. I can't believe that modern science's explanation of our subjective experience in physical terms hasn't persuaded more people to view themselves as fundamentally physical beings.

You have no "energy" apart from your physical body. You have no spirit apart from your physical brain. Those are the messages supported by the evidence. You will never "find out" what happens when you die because you will cease to exist when you die.
Because believing in such is a form of comfort to these people.

Of course reality is that when we die, everything will eventually fade to darkness. As you say, all of our life support systems go away. Therefore, there is no mechanism for us to even sense anything long after our physical forms perish.

But that is a scary thought for many. So believing in religion and an afterlife makes it much easier for people to accept death.

I personally feel that once we die, that's it. Slowly fade to darkness and that's all she wrote. Sad, but it is what it is.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:59 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Because believing in such is a form of comfort to these people.

Of course reality is that when we die, everything will eventually fade to darkness. As you say, all of our life support systems go away. Therefore, there is no mechanism for us to even sense anything long after our physical forms perish.

But that is a scary thought for many. So believing in religion and an afterlife makes it much easier for people to accept death.

I personally feel that once we die, that's it. Slowly fade to darkness and that's all she wrote. Sad, but it is what it is.
What you wrote above is your opinion, not a fact.

I believe there is an afterlife because that is the only logical conclusion.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post

But it's arrogant for anyone to profess absolute knowledge about what may or may not happen after death. How can anyone know for certain what happens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy