Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 02:45 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times

Advertisements

Very well done explanation done in two minutes in YouTube. Concise and to the point. Ultimately, the evolutionary value of Gene Theory is that is supplies endless amount of funding for scientists. Good for them.

https://youtu.be/-M-vnmejwXo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 10:10 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
If you had not associated the video with materialism, I would have thought Cleese was poking fun at the idea that we have one neat little gene responsible for one neat little behavior, and a different gene for every behavior. There is of course also the nurture part of nature vs. nurture to take into consideration, and that what genes do is usually less neat and tidy than having a gene for believing in god or a gene for liking action movies or anything like that.

Last edited by Clintone; 05-23-2016 at 11:25 PM..

Old 05-28-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
If you had not associated the video with materialism, I would have thought Cleese was poking fun at the idea that we have one neat little gene responsible for one neat little behavior, and a different gene for every behavior. There is of course also the nurture part of nature vs. nurture to take into consideration, and that what genes do is usually less neat and tidy than having a gene for believing in god or a gene for liking action movies or anything like that.
Cleese is very nicely highlighting the silliness of gene theory which is the pillar of materialistic life science.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:50 AM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Pillar of materialism is there is no superior force/intelligence. Everything is chance game of matter.
Real purpose of materialism/Darvinism etc is cleared in The Protocols, which you should read, OP.
Then come to your OWN conclusions, based on on three factors:
- opinion of an expert
- opinion of your elders
- your common sense.
This is three criteria to make sound opinion on any subject.
Instead of hopping onto any idea someone releases to public.
of course, this requires a lot of research and mental effort. It's simply easier to eat it off screen.

Everything is all right
All we need is some direction
Every time the wind blows
Everything you don't know
Turns into a revelation

And it all adds up inside your head
Time is wasting

Set it off
Set it off now children
Set it right
Set it off
Set it off now children
Set it off
Set it off now children
Set a fire
Set it off
Set it off now children

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k225_q1L9l4

Old 05-29-2016, 05:50 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
[quote=ukrkoz;44226437]Pillar of materialism is there is no superior force/intelligence. Everything is chance game of matter.
[/youtube]

the word "materailism" should never be used as a word to replace "The standard model". Why do philosophers do that?

Old 05-31-2016, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Cleese is very nicely highlighting the silliness of gene theory which is the pillar of materialistic life science.
I have no idea how. To me, gene theory doesn't sound nearly as silly when you consider the factors I mentioned earlier, that most genes aren't as neat and tidy as having a gene for nothing except loving basketball, and another gene for nothing except being skilled at peeling oranges, and things like that, and when you add in how much of your behavior comes form what we've been taught from our environment.

The only silliness I see in the video would come from failing to take the above into account. That's why I assumed that was what Cleese was joking about.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:14 AM

Quote:
I have no idea how. To me, gene theory doesn't sound nearly as silly when you consider the factors I mentioned earlier, that most genes aren't as neat and tidy as having a gene for nothing except loving basketball, and another gene for nothing except being skilled at peeling oranges, and things like that, and when you add in how much of your behavior comes form what we've been taught from our environment.

The only silliness I see in the video would come from failing to take the above into account. That's why I assumed that was what Cleese was joking about.
It's the silliness of characterizing genes anthropomorphically. Science has done nothing more than making genes into little men while explaining nothing, all in the name of maintaining materialism.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:24 AM

Quote:
It's the silliness of characterizing genes with anthropomorphically. Science has done nothing more than making genes into little men while explaining nothing, all in the name of maintaining materialism.
I have no idea what the above means...particularly the part about making genes into little men.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:25 AM

Quote:
I have no idea what the above means...particularly the part about making genes into little men.
Watch the video. It explains it all. It's silly science to imbue material objects with human characteristics. It's automorphism at its finest. Explains absolutely nothing. Genes are literally little humans running around with all of the characteristics we call humanlike. Maybe we should imbue Quanta with human characteristics and call it a day?

Cleese does a great job of exposing this.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Watch the video. It explains it all. It's silly science to imbue material objects with human characteristics. It's automorphism at its finest. Explains absolutely nothing. Genes are literally little humans running around with all of the characteristics we call humanlike. Maybe we should imbue Quanta with human characteristics and call it a day?

Cleese does a great job of exposing this.
I have watched the video. It explains a grand total of zero reasons I can understand that explain why Gene Theory is incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy