Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 10:52 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is about meaning. Maybe it's about death in the sense that we are (I am) impermanent. Maybe it's about a dog. Maybe this should be a blog post. I don't know for sure.

It seems to be the nature of things that they don't last. Somewhere many of us have gotten the idea that things should last, or that they're superior if they do. Nature kind of mocks this idea, though.

I guess that's where I'm stuck. By my beliefs, my consciousness is a product of my living brain. When that brain ceases to be alive, my consciousness ceases. With effort I can deal with that as it pertains to me, but I can't really as it pertains to those I love. Maybe it seems self absorbed to want to endure myself and so I can conceive of ceasing to exist. But for others, I can hardly bear thinking of them gone.

My dog is getting old. He probably has 2-4 years left and I'll likely see him die. I love animals in the sense most people use the word, but my love for him leaves me a bit awe struck. He's a dog, so he's prone to most dog excesses like destroying things or humping legs or pillows or anything he can mount sometimes. He's a sloppy eater. The list goes on, but mostly his is the most gentle and genuine soul I've ever encountered. God.

I love my moments with him and I don't let my heady concerns interfere with those moments. Maybe he sees a longing for something when our eyes meet, but after e few seconds he bows and grabs a toy and we're off to the races, which are almost slow motion these days, but that suits both of us.

His life is too good to be so brief, and that's true for all of us in some way or another. We get a chunk of a century and then life goes on. Without us. Again, I think I can handle that on a personal level, but with the things and people and dogs I love it seems too little.

Some things should last. If not the things themselves, then the impact they had. Do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 02:38 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
The more transient, the more beautiful and precious.
Roughly anyway.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:05 PM

19,037 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Beliefs do not last either.
Your beliefs are wrong in their basic premise.
Hence, you will never find peace, unless you change the concept of your life.
Meditate over this:
1. Try to imagine yourself never been born. As hard as you can.
2. Try to imagine yourself non-existent after death. As hard as you can.
Dedicate some time and effort to this meditation.
When you FAIL to do so, meditate over this:
Maybe you DO exist before and after?

Old 10-20-2016, 05:07 PM

Btw, the lions... they are in your mind.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:08 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post

Some things should last. If not the things themselves, then the impact they had. Do they?

Everything is finite in it's own timeframe, the sun will eventually burn out, universe will expand into a flyaway state of infinity, even the most famous persons and acts will eventually be forgotten. Human and animal existence will either cease or evolve to a state unrecognizable to what it is now.

As to a state of conscious existence pre or post one's present existence, what would it be if consciousness and intelligence did not expand, improve and evolve along with it. Imagine existing indefinitely in your present state, thousands, tens of thousands of years getting up, making breakfast, paying bills, going to work, cleaning the house, cooking, etc...etc...

Old 10-20-2016, 08:34 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
I'll always be fond of impermanence.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:06 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
The impact is lasting, I can testify to that. I have lost dogs, a wife, a brother, a mother, and a son to death, and their memory and their impacts endure.

Everyone knows that nothing is forever. We hope that we will not outlive our spouse or at least not our children, and thus blunt the force of those losses. We have death from old age "priced in", but not death out of turn, "before the time" or with much suffering, which all the above-listed were.

Hackneyed as it is, for me it comes back to the old chestnut, "don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." Otherwise you fail to remember the best of those you've lost, and to be grateful for that best. You get stuck bemoaning the loss itself, and perhaps, any regrets or disappointments from those necessarily imperfect relationships.

It sounds like you are fully experiencing your dog while he's alive, warts and all, and that's the best you can do to prepare for the inevitable.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:25 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Long ago I drank saki at this house
Now only the earth
Covered with plum blossoms

Ryokan 1758-1831

Old 10-25-2016, 01:18 PM

Actually, OP touched on very interesting topic.
You know what is the ONLY thing that is permanent in the world as we know it? CHANGE. Impermanence.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:45 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
When I wrote the OP I was in a bit of a mood, I guess. I typically believe that we all have the potential to impact the people in our lives, for the good hopefully. In that sense we're a part of them, and them, us. I know my dog is an inextricable part of me, and definitely for the better. So he'll continue to speak through me, and I'll speak through the people and dogs I interact with, and so on.

Life is OK, but looked at too narrowly it seems so cruelly brief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy