Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 04:06 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times

Advertisements

As things got more advanced in the United States, and people moved into towns and cities, the citizens got softer with each generation. Life has become so easy in the United States. A flip of the switch and we have light. We also have automatic indoor heat and air conditioning. Men today don't have to go out and chop wood in order to heat the house. They don't have to go out and kill an animal in order to feed his family. They don't have to fetch water from a well. A man today doesn't have to go out and physically build a house for his family to live in. Now a days he has it built or its already built. Everything is pretty much already done for us. Even out in the countryside, 99% of the people have modern conveniences. It's gotten to the point that nearly everything a man was needed to do, they are no longer needed. Life has become so convenient that nearly every job can be done by a woman. It's gotten to the point where a woman doesn't need a man anymore, except to maybe make babies with, and even that, they don't even need a man. They just need a man's sperm.

I remember when I was in 11th grade, my English teacher told the girls in the class they should go to college so they wouldn't need to be dependent on a man to take care of her. And that's the way it looks like it's turning out as civilization "progresses".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 04:25 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
America as a whole has a problem of arrogance. We think we're the best country on earth, that our way is the best, what we do is the best... we live a very egocentric life here in this country, and most people don't travel or see the rest of the world to see just how silly that is. For a lot of people, that translates into being "macho." Wanting things we don't need to project an image of something we are not. As far as big raised trucks go... Most of them that I know are owned by people who never take them offroading and wouldn't know how to change their own oil. It's just a status symbol. They may think they look macho in that huge truck... but they're still waiting on an oil change in the waiting room just like the little school girl who brought in her Ford Fiesta.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:14 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,431,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
As things got more advanced in the United States, and people moved into towns and cities, the citizens got softer with each generation. Life has become so easy in the United States. A flip of the switch and we have light. We also have automatic indoor heat and air conditioning. Men today don't have to go out and chop wood in order to heat the house. They don't have to go out and kill an animal in order to feed his family. They don't have to fetch water from a well. A man today doesn't have to go out and physically build a house for his family to live in. Now a days he has it built or its already built. Everything is pretty much already done for us. Even out in the countryside, 99% of the people have modern conveniences. It's gotten to the point that nearly everything a man was needed to do, they are no longer needed. Life has become so convenient that nearly every job can be done by a woman. It's gotten to the point where a woman doesn't need a man anymore, except to maybe make babies with, and even that, they don't even need a man. They just need a man's sperm.

I remember when I was in 11th grade, my English teacher told the girls in the class they should go to college so they wouldn't need to be dependent on a man to take care of her. And that's the way it looks like it's turning out as civilization "progresses".
Actually it's looking like we're delving more into history now...there are more off the grid 'preppers' shunning technology, who take pride in hunting etc. That's all well and good,but nothing wrong with utilizing the advancements available to us.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:45 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
....As far as the use of the term 'Merican, that too is a a form of social signalling. It says, "Even though I am technically American by unfortunate accident of birth, I am not like the common, low-brow plebes you see around me. I am better. Why I am practically a European."
Naw, lots of times it simply means "I'm Old Skool American."

Old 10-31-2016, 04:52 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
What's with the 'merican obsession with trucks and everything 'macho'? Vanity I think...
I always think of macho in terms of Latin cultures. I used to see Italian-American guys or some Latin-American guys in the U.S. that seemed like my idea of the epitome of macho. But most American guys rarely seem macho in the same way. Maybe there is an American style of macho that I didn't see as "macho" all those years living there.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:21 AM

163 posts, read 138,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Anyway the 'merican thing is not hipster,it's a slant on what America has become post 2k.
And what is that exactly?

Old 10-31-2016, 11:22 AM

163 posts, read 138,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

As far as the use of the term 'Merican, that too is a a form of social signalling. It says, "Even though I am technically American by unfortunate accident of birth, I am not like the common, low-brow plebes you see around me. I am better. Why I am practically a European."
You're 100% right.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:42 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
IMO, the term 'Merican is derogatory.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:21 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It is not "merica". It is Western way and "merica" is the pinnacle of it, as it "accomplished" the most of that way.
There are two ways in the world - the Eastern and the Western.
Western way is that of desire, of action, malehood.
Eastern way is that of feeling, submission, femininity.
It tracks back to In and Yan. Male and female minds. Yes, what is at the core of any human being is - inevitably - at the core of any human endeavor or civilization. You didn't really think that you can do anything humane without it being based in what a human is, male/female, did you?
From that on, you can easily track all kinds of "desire", or male type patterns in "desire" civilization, culture. Machism included. It is all nothing new, it is all same old Adam and Eve story. Man and woman. Desire and feeling.
Wow, you couldn't be more further off. It is actually the opposite. Eastern countries in the mediterranean and asia are far more male oriented then the west.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:40 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Love that saying: harder the shell, softer the center.

I view those with these jacked-up trucks, loud mufflers as men who can't achieve any power in their lives, so this compensates for their powerlessness, weaknesses.

And, I even think any number of these macho numbers have a sexual identity problem!

In effect, they may be saying: How could I be mistaken for a closeted Gay man owning a souped up vehicle like this!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy