Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 11:28 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,669 times

Advertisements

This is a bit of a fallow up of my last thread "Hard work is meaningless", if you want to check it out you can see it over here: Hard work is meaningless: You are just slave to circumstances

In this thread, I want to discuss the halo effect and how it completely destroys most conventional wisdom in regards to what makes a person successful in life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect

Basically, the halo effect is a form of bias which causes peoples reactions to others behaviors to be massively influenced by what they look like. This works in the favor of good looking people (people are automatically more likely to view a good looking person's actions is positive light), and against uglier ones (are more likely to view their actions in a negative light). This of course is horrible, because it means that almost everything we have been told about meritocracy is a lie (well there are also other reasons actually. See my "hard work is meaningless" thread above).

The characteristics of the halo effect:

-People will rationalize why bad behavior from good looking people isn't so bad ("Oh well I'm sure that handsome young man must have had some reason to shoot and rob that guy. He was probably just trying to feed his starving family!")

-People will notice the good work/deeds of good looking people more because they are paying more attention to them in the first place, and also reward them more as well because they are possibly attracted to them and want their favor.

-People will agree more with good looking people because they crave their acceptance.

-People won't notice or care that much about hard work or good deeds from ugly people because they pay less attention to them in the first place. Any reward given will be modest at best.

-People will be much harsher on ugly people who commit bad deeds because the fact they are ugly makes them even more unlikable.

-People will disagree more with an ugly person because they instinctively dislike ugly people.

Some examples of double standards:

-A good looking aspie nerd will be seen as awkward but cute. An ugly nerd will be viewed by most as disgusting, and possibly a serial killer with a weird sexual fetish.

-An aggressive guy that is hot will be seen as commanding and confident. An ugly guy will be seen as a raging douche.

-A stoic good looking guy will be viewed as mysterious and interesting. An ugly one will just be seen as boring.

Etc.

Simply put, what you personality is like or what you do doesn't matter. It's impossible to lose if you look good, and it's impossible to win if you are ugly.

In other words, be good looking or you will never make it to the top. How many ugly CEO's and presidents are there? Exactly.

In the end we are all just monkeys. In spite of all our technological advances we are still ultimately just apes who want to spread our genes around or have a baby from the alpha male. And as a result, society isn't a meritocracy. The person with the best ideas or the hardest work won't win. The person with the BEST GENES will win, because that is what nature hardwired us to like the most. You can be a talentless hack with no real skills, but if you look good enough the halo effect will kick in and people will find some way to rationalize why your ideas are totally the greatest thing ever.

I mean I even admit that even I myself am not the exception. I have also look discriminated in the past against short guys for example. Being 6.1 I for some reason instinctively don't respect short guys. I know it makes no sense rationally but it's just instinct. When I hear very short guys talk I just think to myself "I don't care you weak little phaggot!". It isn't rational and I know this and yet this is how the halo effect works. EVERYONE does this. Yes, even you.

The fact of the matter is, that getting people to buy into whatever it is you are selling is all about making them FEEL comfortable with it. People want to FEEL like they are supporting somebody good. People are driven by INSTINCT, not logic. And our instincts tell us that good genetics=good.

Even in cases where somebody "charismatic" isn't really that attractive, they have some lucky genes going for them. A great example would be fat ugly guys who have a deep and a manly voice. Even if they don't really look that good, they may still appear charismatic because people are hypnotized by their voice. How many people with annoying voices are able to appear charismatic? Not many.

Ugly people will never be successful regardless of merit in 99% of cases. Yes I am sure you can find individual examples but they aren't representative. And as for good looking people, why do you think the likes of Paris Hilton got famous and rich? Do I need to say more?

Good looks=the only thing likely to make you successful.

Other traits may be needed as well depending on the situation, but they will always be secondary to good looks. Good looks are the trump cards that nobody can beat (well actually, you can beat them by being filthy rich. But being good looking may be needed to get rich in the first place unless you are born into wealth).

I dare you to prove me wrong. Good luck.

Last edited by hakkarin; 11-02-2016 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 11:43 AM

143 posts, read 78,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Good looks=the only thing likely to make you successful.

Other traits may be needed as well depending on the situation, but they will always be secondary to good looks. Good looks are the trump cards that nobody can beat.

I dare you to prove me wrong. Good luck.
Other than the fact that you already contradicted your self, I'll offer up this evidence

Three people who I think most would consider successful but not attractive.

http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/...174854211.jpeg

http://media.allday.com/d1hSwdH40Zga...0000000000.jpg

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20050725204052

Old 11-02-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
why do you think the likes of Paris Hilton got famous and rich? Do I need to say more?
Absolutely, you do.

A sample of 1 is never enough to prove a hypothesis.
However, a sample of 1 can disprove a hypothesis.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylos View Post
Other than the fact that you already contradicted your self, I'll offer up this evidence

Three people who I think most would consider successful but not attractive.

http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/...174854211.jpeg

http://media.allday.com/d1hSwdH40Zga...0000000000.jpg

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20050725204052
Donald Trump is a trust fund baby lol not a good example. Need more info on the other 2, just posting pictures tells me nothing about them.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Donald Trump is a trust fund baby lol not a good example.
Is he successful?
Is it solely because of his looks?

Quote:
Need more info on the other 2, just posting pictures tells me nothing about them.
According to the OP's assertion, that's all you need to know.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:12 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
You are right. For shallow minds. Shallow minds do not see past the appearances. That's why they are just that - shallow. Concerned with Hiltons and Kardashians of the world. It's also called housemaid mentality.
For others, the minority, there is this wisdom:
They meet you by your looks
They farewell you by your mind.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
They meet you by your looks
They farewell you by your mind.
Are you Russian?

Old 11-02-2016, 05:34 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
I can see some truth in some instances in the OP's main assertion.
However, the over-generalization is a cognitive distortion and therefore is not logical.

After the superficial impression of appearances wears off, most people gravitate toward people who make them feel good about themselves - by listening to them, showing interest in them, etc. They also tend to like people with charm - confidence and an ability to communicate well - tell entertaining stories, etc. These are not so much about appearance as character and emotional intelligence - ability to understand one's own and others' feelings to respond in the most ideal ways. It was found that emotional intelligence, not IQ, not attractiveness - was the most significant factor of determining success. http://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbr.../#48d8f8b52c74

Old 11-04-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Is he successful?
Is it solely because of his looks?

According to the OP's assertion, that's all you need to know.
Ok, money/status can trump looks. I can admit that. But very few people have either of those things, and the overwhelming majority never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You are right. For shallow minds.
We are all shallow. Some are just more shallow than others.

Quote:
Are you Russian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
After the superficial impression of appearances wears off, most people gravitate toward people who make them feel good about themselves - by listening to them, showing interest in them, etc.
This only happens if the person is good looking to begin with. You are correct that good looks alone won't make people stick with you for good, but you still need them to even stand a chance to begin with. People only date less than good looking people because they failed to get better looking ones, not because they want to.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Ok, money/status can trump looks. I can admit that.
So, I proved you wrong - as you dared. Do I win something?

Quote:
Most people I've heard use this quote, were Russian. Or, more correctly, from areas that were formerly part of the Soviet Union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy