Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 03:38 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Nobody said you have to reproduce, OP. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.

Helping others doesn't relate to consuming and reproducing. Creativity, art, music, dance, aren't related to consuming and reproducing. Exploration and understanding the world around us aren't, either. Learning for the joy of it, enjoying nature, spiritual pursuits, there's quite a list of things that fall outside your said little self-limiting box.

Please consider getting some professional counseling. In your threads you come across as an emotional powder keg. Have you experienced emotional abuse, or been the victim of a crime, or unwanted sexual attention? You can find help to heal from that; there are people who specialize in releasing the anger, and healing from trauma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 10:00 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
OP hit the nail on the head - humans and all life on earth serve one purpose and that is to mix and match genes in the hope of producing an offspring that is incrementally better than its progenitor. Everything else is meaningless. Certainly philosophical claptrap is just a way of killing time until it is time to hit the sack and do more reproducing, or if you are past the reproductive and rearing age, to kill time until you die. That's about it. We are vehicles for DNA and nothing else. Ever wonder why babies are so cute? DNA has programmed you to believe that so you will nurture it. Realistically who would put up with a crying baby and a horrible teenager if you weren't programmed to do so? We are slaves to DNA. And people think we have free will. Ha!

Old 02-07-2017, 12:17 AM

76 posts, read 41,523 times
That is the mortal nihilism for you, this was the reality of what the Archons imposed upon us. For when we close our eyes there is a great abyss and we feel alone, yet there is more to life than death and a greater light to permeate that darkness. The soul is the self which is an axiom of the beginning as well as the end as in it has been and will inevitably be for we are GOD as GOD is us, not in terms of the flesh rather within. In such is a construct of a depth by silence which substance is made manifest, the word substance this can be seen as understanding and that understanding is the divine will of Thelema. This was an aspect of the Logos of Thoth, that Word which phrases the perfect aeon of the Monad, and through that comes the individual which is in fact free will that is freedom in the willingness to know. As the Word can mean many things in the terminal of the all though we are together a conscious being to remain one. Have no fear and cast asunder your inhibitions and be as the star you once were.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:58 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlephosofiataV View Post
That is the mortal nihilism for you, this was the reality of what the Archons imposed upon us. For when we close our eyes there is a great abyss and we feel alone, yet there is more to life than death and a greater light to permeate that darkness. The soul is the self which is an axiom of the beginning as well as the end as in it has been and will inevitably be for we are GOD as GOD is us, not in terms of the flesh rather within. In such is a construct of a depth by silence which substance is made manifest, the word substance this can be seen as understanding and that understanding is the divine will of Thelema. This was an aspect of the Logos of Thoth, that Word which phrases the perfect aeon of the Monad, and through that comes the individual which is in fact free will that is freedom in the willingness to know. As the Word can mean many things in the terminal of the all though we are together a conscious being to remain one. Have no fear and cast asunder your inhibitions and be as the star you once were.

I mentioned free will, (minus Thoth) to the OP on another thread but OP is into antinatalism philosophy & it went "over head/under foot".

Not sure if Crowley will work but it's worth a try.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:18 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAborg View Post
I challenge you to tell me one thing in life that isn't just consumption and reproduction. I'm so sick of this meaningless existence that is manipulated by my DNA to consume for the end goal of reproduction (mindless self-replication, thereby imposing this meaningless existence onto another innocent soul). It is always better to never have been born into such an existence.
I can think of several: thinking, creating, humor, enjoying nature (without harming it), loving others and receiving love in both sexual and non-sexual ways without procreating.

I do feel sorry for you for having such a gloomy outlook.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:39 PM

76 posts, read 41,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I mentioned free will, (minus Thoth) to the OP on another thread but OP is into antinatalism philosophy & it went "over head/under foot".

Not sure if Crowley will work but it's worth a try.
Thelema is more than just Crowley although Mr Crowley isn't really a bad guy
he just made a religion out of it with certain magickal practices
but rites of magick arent really necessary to understanding yourself
Thoth said in the emerald tablets that true magick is in knowledge
really Thelema is just the individual will that is divine
so indeed it truly is do what thou wilt
the number 93 is the number of Thelema
in the book of the Law he says that Ra-H o o r-Khuit or Horus is a god of war and vengeance
I don`t think Horus is like that though rather Horus is a beacon of the pure light of the truth nothing evil or angry

Old 02-09-2017, 06:14 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Our bodies have one purpose, our minds another.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:40 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I always look to the irony of anti-natalists as having a consciousness to be able to dispute in the first place.

Our entire universe contains matter that is "born" and "dies." That in itself is a universal truth.

But we as humans have this thing called consciousness that provides us the ability to grow, learn and change with in the confines of our humanness.

If we choose to not have children, or to kill ourselves that's our choice. If we choose to appreciate the recognition of our universe for the split second of a millennia that we are aware, then I think that is a tremendously beautiful thing. REGARDLESS of whether or not I even have philosophical free will. It's still cool to be along for the ride.

My wife and I had a child because of a parental drive both socially and biologically. But it was also a rational choice. It is an amazing experience raising a child; seeing them learn and grow and be curious about everything. It is truly magical.

There is no moral imperative that states I must deny my humanness. Being rational and reductive denies the very essence of who we are.

It's a very sad and soulless world you're currently in OP, and I hope things get better for you.
I think this is well said.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:10 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
If we choose to appreciate the recognition of our universe for the split second of a millennia that we are aware...

It's a very sad and soulless world you're currently in OP, and I hope things get better for you.
No logical inconsistencies there?

Old 02-11-2017, 11:32 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
No logical inconsistencies there?
Nope, because within that split second occurs our entire lives, and to us those lives are oftentimes quite important. We live in a world filled with sights and sounds and smells and revelations, and interests and passions and intriguing discoveries, and colorful feelings like anger and hate and laughter.

Soulless generally relates to gray and dull and monotonous. Life can be gray and dull and monotonous, but I don't think the world we live in is. It's more rainbowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy