Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2017, 10:57 PM

218 posts, read 172,188 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I get this is a really nerdy type of ethics question, but it is something I find to be quite interesting.

In the comics, Batman (who for those that don't know is ALWAYS thinking up solutions to problems, even ones that don't exist) came up with the best ways to kill various members of the Justice League should they go rogue. It is found out and he gets kicked out of the JL.

Obviously, he did so in a worst-case scenario since if any of the JL went rogue, say by mind control or whatever it would obviously be a very bad day. But (and I get it may seem silly to think under the circumstances), do you think Batman was ethically in the right? Obviously he'd never use them against them under normal circumstances, but he felt that having a detailed plan to take out any of the super heroes if they turned for whatever reason was prudent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 03:20 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I believe he was interested in saving lots of people ... so I think
his planning was in the end for good.
So yes, it was ethical.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:33 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,437 times
What happened to 'The Bat does not kill?'

Forgive me. The last Bat-book I read with any measure of regularity was Shadow Of The Bat. I'm more than a little behind.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:17 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Was killing them the only solution? If he thought to kill first than that was bad. But if he threw out all other options as ones that wouldn't work and killing was the logical solution to deal with than yes.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:18 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Wasn't there an animation about this? When someone either stole it from him or controlled him into belief that JL went rogue? I don't think he killed them, more like handicapped them.

But anyway. Life is duality. There is no right without wrong as how would you know it's right if wrong does not give it measure? So what is wrong then? Wrong for JL good for people? Wrong for Batman (who is a neurotic psycho anyway) good for people?
One could write dissertations upon dissertations on this. Never getting to the bottom. As any "resolution" only uncovers another duality.

I'll stick with eastern thinking on this. ANY INTENTION is wrong. Any desire. Any thought, for that matter. As no one truly knows what is right or wrong as it is all subjective. Only absolute peace of mind and lack of desires is right.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:28 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times
I think it was perfectly ethical. We should always seek to be good, but simultaneously I believe that we should always be prepared to do the worst if the situation calls for it. Batman's reasoning for his philosophy seemed pretty sound.

I wouldn't normally take advice from somebody who goes by the name "Mad Dog", but I think the premise of this quote is correct, even if General Mattis did put it rather blunty:

'Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.'

Old 03-25-2017, 06:00 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Existentially, as related to humans, any thinking that benefits a particular human is considered "pretty sound" by that human. Any thinking that does NOT benefit a particular human or somehow distorts his comfort, is "wrong".
7 billion people, 7 billion opinions.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:22 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
I think that Batman, above all, is a pragmatist. Remember, he's a mortal being (albeit a very well-trained mortal being), and he knows all-too-well that if a super-powered member of the League goes rogue or is corrupted, millions of other powerless mortal beings are going to die.

He also knows that none of his League compatriots would want that kind of blood on their hands, however unwilling they were at the time, and that if he didn't do something to stop them, he would be betraying the core of Batman's ethos -- namely, his commitment to protecting the innocent and the vulnerable.

I think he made the ethical choice.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:00 AM

676 posts, read 528,425 times
Ethics are personal and subjective. There is no such thing as a list of objective ethical rules.

So ..... it was ethical for him and not for the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy