Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 10:36 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,110,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post

I don't know where people got the idea that the goal in life is to be happy.
The 1970s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 08:10 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,875,669 times
Happinnes is a choice you make in the "now" wh8ch is all that exists.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:19 AM

6,310 posts, read 4,204,998 times
I’m generally a happy person whose had to deal with a lot of unhappy things. My goal as a young woman ( after suffering years of abuse as a child) was to live a happy life and that meant working towards that goal. As someone else mentioned painful things can be a chance to learn and grow. We can’t be happy all the time, that’s not normal but we can strive to be happy and promote activities that help in that regard and live with gratitude for the large and small things around us.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:28 PM

53 posts, read 24,509 times
Quote:

I think being content is the answer, as happiness can come and go while being content can be a permanent or at least a semi-permanent state of mind.
There are many definitions of happiness.

But O, how bitter a thing it is to look into happiness through another man's eyes. ― William Shakespeare

Old 02-24-2019, 02:32 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
I know that there is a power that controls the universe. I choose not to call that power god. I know there is an afterlife through my experience with past life regression. I no longer have to believe.

Happy now?
The purpose of life is absolutly unfettered pursuit of sublime happiness. Through accomplishment, romantic love, hot sex, making money, appreciating art, learning, learning, learning.

Acceptance is purgatory, and accepting acceptance is a concession and embrace of failure.

Finally, there is no evidence of any power that controls the universe, and no evidence of an afterlife.

I think you should rethink basically all your premises.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:57 PM

708 posts, read 1,297,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The purpose of life is absolutly unfettered pursuit of sublime happiness. Through accomplishment, romantic love, hot sex, making money, appreciating art, learning, learning, learning.

Acceptance is purgatory, and accepting acceptance is a concession and embrace of failure.

Finally, there is no evidence of any power that controls the universe, and no evidence of an afterlife.

I think you shouldn't comment on things you know nothing about. One can only learn something through experiences, not reading books or making stuff up in your head. You seem like someone I would avoid like the plague as your ideas are so off base they are fundamentally absurd.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:15 PM

53 posts, read 24,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

Hmm, are you ex-Catholic?

Quote:
You seem like someone I would avoid like the plague as your ideas are so off base they are fundamentally absurd.
Marc, you seem like someone that I'd like to share a drink with.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:24 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,463,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I agree being content is the goal. Then you can realize/accept that is happiness.

Read once the purpose of life is to endure....while I don't know it's the purpose, to endure is to accept what comes your way and make the best of it possible. That's life.

Great song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avU2aarQUiU

Old 02-24-2019, 08:26 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
I think you shouldn't comment on things you know nothing about. One can only learn something through experiences, not reading books or making stuff up in your head. You seem like someone I would avoid like the plague as your ideas are so off base they are fundamentally absurd.
You are making a fundamental error here: “one can only learn something through experiences, not reading books”. That is a false statement. Much of the learning that has ever taken place in the world is through the skill of reading. Experience is exceedingly limited for any one person. Right off the bat, what you can learn experientially is limited to the brief span of your life. And don’t give me afterlife nonsense as there is no evidence of any afterlife, and, in fact, the whole idea of an afterlife is borne of fear and non-acceptance of the reality of one life followed by eternal death.

With books, I can travel through time and space and explore all the great minds of history. In all areas of the world. And in all their magnificently diverse circumstances. In fact, I can safely assert that learning from books blows learning from experience right out the door.

Certainly experience is a good teacher, but compared to books? No contest.

Also, your contention that the universe is powered by an intelligent force is clearly unsupported by evidence of any kind. And, stating that you “know there is an afterlife” is silly. You know no such thing. There is zero point zero evidence of a beforelife or an afterlife. Really, you are just being a common theist but window dressing it with New Age drapes.

But although I am rejecting these contentions on basic logic, I am rejecting your view of the pursuit of happiness on spiritual grounds. Pursuit of happiness is the highest and best use of our limited time. And while not always attainable, the fun is in chasing it. And that chase can be in the form of romantic love, making lots of green money dollars, going to concerts and plays, travelling to unseen and unenjoyed destinations and meeting new people. Eating delicious foods, enjoying hot steamy sex, and helping other people chase their dreams.

Don’t sell happiness short. Acceptance is for when you are 80 in a recliner with a cancer diagnosis. Life is for the unending and ceaseless pursuit of happiness, both materially and emotionally.

Happiness = Love

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 02-24-2019 at 08:36 PM..

Old 02-25-2019, 09:38 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Oh, ecstatic.
You and seethelight have turned this into Abbott and Costello's "Who's on first."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy