Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 08:23 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times

Advertisements

eudaimonia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 09:26 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
ACCEPTANCE

It's changed my life, and I hope that it may change yours. It's very hard to accept whatever this life has to throw at you, but acceptance of both the "good" and the "bad" can really make a big difference in one's life.

Try it out and see if it helps.
Absolutely, it is what it is. That said, as in philosophy, it shouldn't stop there i.e. there is always something more to question, learn, reason, or do about our existence (or knowledge we have thereof).

Old 09-04-2020, 03:34 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,630 times
I have 2 words "calm" and "patience" . I run my life based on this.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:20 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
Sure. Mistreated people should just accept their lot in life. Give everyone a happy pill.

Isrealites should have accepted being slaves in Pharaoh's Egypt, building the Pyramids. No need for Moses.

Martin Luther should have accepted the greedy Pope taxing peasants to starvation, in order to build St. Peter's Basilica.
Intimidating people by threatening to keep their souls in purgatory if they didn't pay fees. Just let the corruption continue.

Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass should have accepted being slaves in the hot fields, suffering a concussion from having a metal iron thrown at her head, and not run away.

The American patriots should have accepted remaining under British rule, being kidnapped and impressed for crewmen on British ships.

Women - 50% of the population - should have accepted not having voting rights. No need for the suffrage movement.

Cesar Chavez's farmworkers should have accepted being migrant laborers on a California farm, living in hot, squalid dormitories, unable to get away and dependent on "company stores", and their children moving constantly from school to school.

Prairie farmers should have accepted the railroad monopoly and being over-charged to haul their products to market. No need for the National Grange movement.

Black sharecroppers in Mississippi should have accepted being denied voting rights in the 1960s.

The Jews in Warsaw should have accepted being penned up in a crowded ghetto and hauled off to Nazi death camps. No need for a Warsaw uprising.

India should have accepted being under British rule, having to buy only British products, not being allowed to gather their own salt from the beach, or weave their own clothing. Guess Mahatma Gandhi was all wrong. The untouchable caste there should accept their lot of gathering manure and other repugnant jobs.

Blacks in South Africa as well as Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) - around 80% of the population - should have accepted having no voting rights. No need for Nelson Mandela.

North Koreans should accept being starved to death, cut off from all contact with the outside world, and having no electricity.

People in democratic Hong Kong should accept now being taken over by totalitarian China. Why protest?

Last edited by slowlane3; 09-04-2020 at 06:32 AM..

Old 09-04-2020, 08:40 AM

708 posts, read 1,296,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Persevere. I refused to "accept" what life had thrown at me.

I survived 27 years of a bad marriage and a divorce that left me in a very difficult financial situation. I was retired, but got another job after I divorced her. It has been a rough two years and I haven't enjoyed a lot of it, but I have persevered and have come out much better off than I would have if I had given up.

I persevered through the marriage too. I tried everything including marital counseling twice to try to save my marriage and fix the problems. I finally realized it was impossible to live with a toxic person who couldn't control what she said and did when she had too much to drink. My advice, don't accept what you can change.
Wow you sure didn't understand what I said. Acceptance doesn't mean surrender. It simply means that you must accept things, but it doesn't mean not to persevere or anything like that. Always try your best to move forward the best way you can, but realize that everything has a silver lining, if you have the eyes to see it. I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason. After reflecting on my life, I really understand that concept.

Last edited by seethelight; 09-04-2020 at 09:46 AM..

Old 09-04-2020, 09:37 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Hope. No matter how dire the present moment seems things can change. The morning sunrise comes and the world is born again and with it the promise of a better future.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:37 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Acceptance ~ victimhood.

Analyze your situation and change the parts you don't like. A little prometheus is a handy thing too. If you don't relish the idea of 18 years of child support payments, use birth control.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Persevere. I refused to "accept" what life had thrown at me.

I survived 27 years of a bad marriage and a divorce that left me in a very difficult financial situation. I was retired, but got another job after I divorced her. It has been a rough two years and I haven't enjoyed a lot of it, but I have persevered and have come out much better off than I would have if I had given up.

I persevered through the marriage too. I tried everything including marital counseling twice to try to save my marriage and fix the problems. I finally realized it was impossible to live with a toxic person who couldn't control what she said and did when she had too much to drink. My advice, don't accept what you can change.
I'm sorry that you didn't understand what I said. Accepting is not surrender. You must always try your best to move forward in your life in the best way you know how. Acceptance is just a way of dealing with the things that happen to you, that will give you power over them, rather than those life circumstances making you weaker. Acceptance is strength. A tool that will help you fight off the slings and arrows of this life.

I firmly believe that there is a silver lining to everything "bad" that happens to us. I also think that everything happens for a reason, which enables me to take a look at the situations that have been given to me in a more understanding, positive light.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Sure. Mistreated people should just accept their lot in life. Give everyone a happy pill.

Isrealites should have accepted being slaves in Pharaoh's Egypt, building the Pyramids. No need for Moses.

Martin Luther should have accepted the greedy Pope taxing peasants to starvation, in order to build St. Peter's Basilica.
Intimidating people by threatening to keep their souls in purgatory if they didn't pay fees. Just let the corruption continue.

Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass should have accepted being slaves in the hot fields, suffering a concussion from having a metal iron thrown at her head, and not run away.

The American patriots should have accepted remaining under British rule, being kidnapped and impressed for crewmen on British ships.

Women - 50% of the population - should have accepted not having voting rights. No need for the suffrage movement.

Cesar Chavez's farmworkers should have accepted being migrant laborers on a California farm, living in hot, squalid dormitories, unable to get away and dependent on "company stores", and their children moving constantly from school to school.

Prairie farmers should have accepted the railroad monopoly and being over-charged to haul their products to market. No need for the National Grange movement.

Black sharecroppers in Mississippi should have accepted being denied voting rights in the 1960s.

The Jews in Warsaw should have accepted being penned up in a crowded ghetto and hauled off to Nazi death camps. No need for a Warsaw uprising.

India should have accepted being under British rule, having to buy only British products, not being allowed to gather their own salt from the beach, or weave their own clothing. Guess Mahatma Gandhi was all wrong. The untouchable caste there should accept their lot of gathering manure and other repugnant jobs.

Blacks in South Africa as well as Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) - around 80% of the population - should have accepted having no voting rights. No need for Nelson Mandela.

North Koreans should accept being starved to death, cut off from all contact with the outside world, and having no electricity.

People in democratic Hong Kong should accept now being taken over by totalitarian China. Why protest?
Blah, blah, blah, blah. What exactly should I have done about my situation? Your comment is totally whataboutism. I either had to accept my horrendous life situation or suffer. I chose acceptance, rather than denying reality.

Whataboutism is a way for some people to change the conversation to points that they want to make rather than trying to understand my point, which you obviously didn't

Old 09-04-2020, 03:48 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
Blah, blah, blah, blah. What exactly should I have done about my situation? Your comment is totally whataboutism. I either had to accept my horrendous life situation or suffer. I chose acceptance, rather than denying reality.

Whataboutism is a way for some people to change the conversation to points that they want to make rather than trying to understand my point, which you obviously didn't
His point was that 'acceptance' can lead to the continuation of suffering that potentially could be addressed in proactive if not exactly convenient ways. Your personal situation, which you did not outline in any detail, is a separate issue. Some things can/should be 'accepted' and some should not...although I am an atheist, the serenity 'prayer' comes to mind here:

'God[/Universe, whatever], grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy