Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Life After 60 (Multiple Choice?)
My relevance has diminished since 60 12 38.71%
I have not noticed any change after 60 10 32.26%
Life has improved after 60 6 19.35%
Its been downhill since 60 4 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 01:01 PM

860 posts, read 683,181 times

Advertisements

I am 63 and fading fast. Becoming invisible. Becoming obsolete.

It was three years ago and I was at the top of my game. I was perinate. I was relevant.

Now I am irrelevant.

It happened overnight.

My experience, my knowledge is worthless. Once a strong leader, I am now viewed as relict.

No one warned me that at 60 the world flips the switch.....

Am I the only one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 01:57 AM

1,893 posts, read 2,536,892 times
I'm in my 40s so not there in age yet but I'm curious about your feeling. How can you just suddenly fade? I get that in general the older you get the less relevant you become but to happen overnight seems drastic. I fully expect to become irrelevant as I age but don't expect it to be so sudden.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:17 AM

728 posts, read 303,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I'm in my 40s so not there in age yet but I'm curious about your feeling. How can you just suddenly fade? I get that in general the older you get the less relevant you become but to happen overnight seems drastic. I fully expect to become irrelevant as I age but don't expect it to be so sudden.

It can happen. He could have been diagnosed with lymphoma. One day you are on top of the world, and the next it's all over. I am not saying this is the case. Who knows?

Old 04-22-2021, 11:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,609 posts, read 81,297,702 times
Sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation, but there is still hope for you. I started this job at age 57 when my business went under in the 2008 recession and then I felt similar. Since then, however, I got a new job, barely kept the house from foreclosure, and started to work on the maxed out credit cards. After annual performance based raises and 3 promotions, I'm now making almost exactly double what I made starting in 2009, with savings built back up, in a responsible managerial position at age 68. My health took a bad turn in 2019-20 but that's over now too, and everything is great, with retirement just a year and a half away.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation, but there is still hope for you. I started this job at age 57 when my business went under in the 2008 recession and then I felt similar. Since then, however, I got a new job, barely kept the house from foreclosure, and started to work on the maxed out credit cards. After annual performance based raises and 3 promotions, I'm now making almost exactly double what I made starting in 2009, with savings built back up, in a responsible managerial position at age 68. My health took a bad turn in 2019-20 but that's over now too, and everything is great, with retirement just a year and a half away.

You just made him feel a whole lot worse.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I feel for you Hemlock140. It seems you have had plenty of bad luck.
There is a lot of that going around.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
It happened by prior to Covid, I was a senior manager and considered a leader in my field.
Covid came, along with the shutdowns and layoffs.
Now that the economy is S-L-O-W-L-Y coming back, companies aren't rehiring senior talent or if they are it is at entry level salaries.

Also many companies that were non-software centric have faded or been lost altogether, so folks that were involved in hardware manufacturing or design were hit the hardest

Old 04-22-2021, 12:47 PM

21,917 posts, read 13,004,619 times
In terms of work/employment? Socially? Sexual prowess? Mental/intellectual acuity? Physical competence? Financial stability? The possibilities are endless...

Old 04-22-2021, 02:14 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,118,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
I am 63 and fading fast. Becoming invisible. Becoming obsolete.

It was three years ago and I was at the top of my game. I was perinate. I was relevant.

Now I am irrelevant.

It happened overnight.

My experience, my knowledge is worthless. Once a strong leader, I am now viewed as relict.

No one warned me that at 60 the world flips the switch.....

Am I the only one?
Are you talking professionally, personally, physically, or what exactly? I'm also 63 and my career remains vibrant and interesting. Demand for my experience with advanced nuclear reactors is on the rise. A couple of guys on my hall are still working in their 80s.

"It ain't over, till it's over!"

To paraphrase Rudel, "Only those who give themselves up are lost!". Google him if you don't know about him. I imagine him as my virtual career coach, you can too.

Rudel too German for you? How about Rickover? What do you think he would say if you told him your tale of woe?

Finally, I will close with Henry Ford: "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, either way, you're right!"

Old 04-22-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Are you talking professionally, personally, physically, or what exactly? I'm also 63 and my career remains vibrant and interesting. Demand for my experience with advanced nuclear reactors is on the rise. A couple of guys on my hall are still working in their 80s.

"It ain't over, till it's over!"

To paraphrase Rudel, "Only those who give themselves up are lost!". Google him if you don't know about him. I imagine him as my virtual career coach, you can too.

Rudel too German for you? How about Rickover? What do you think he would say if you told him your tale of woe?

Finally, I will close with Henry Ford: "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, either way, you're right!"

You can't keep going because your body is fading fast. 63 years went by in a flash. The more interesting your life is, the faster time goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy