Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 04:48 PM

50 posts, read 33,435 times

Advertisements

Hopefully I am posting this in the right forum, if not I will post it elsewhere. This is a general question though and something I have thought about quite a few years now.

I have personally noticed in the last 10 years or so people have become more hostile, more easily offended, think more like victims, they have also become more argumentative. I'm also noticing more hostile drivers on the road towards other drivers.

I am also noticing more online bullying than I did back in the 2000s, what benefit do certain people get by insulting other peoples posts and making them depressed and feel bad?

What seems to be causing this? I know there this has always existed, but it seems far more extreme in the last decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 05:17 PM

595 posts, read 265,134 times
I think people are more hostile than they were just three years ago. It seems that along with a virus, the pandemic infected people with lousy behavior and social amnesia. It's telling that after spending time with themselves, so many emerged not as butterflies appreciative of their newfound freedom, but as raging jackasses intent on revealing how base, rude, crude, and obnoxious they can be.

But you know what? If reading social media depresses you, and trolls annoy you, you can always turn it off and do something else.

P.S. Maybe the Psychology forum would be better for this? You can ask a mod.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:29 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
In real life I haven't noticed any difference with regards to hostility, as I've always encountered nice and hostile people everywhere and I haven't noticed the percentages changing. 20 years ago I would get into several road rage incidents a year. The last serious road rage incident I remember getting into was about 8 years ago. Then again it could be my behavior as I'm sure I've mellowed out over the years.

Online is a different story. If you got all your information from online sources and only lived online you'd be dumbfounded at how the world hasn't ended yet.

Old 09-09-2022, 12:04 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
In general terms, absolutely, yes. Though not everyone of course. Most of the people I know are closely the same, though some have gotten edgier.

Old 09-09-2022, 12:58 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonMMXXII View Post
Hopefully I am posting this in the right forum, if not I will post it elsewhere. This is a general question though and something I have thought about quite a few years now.

I have personally noticed in the last 10 years or so people have become more hostile, more easily offended, think more like victims, they have also become more argumentative. I'm also noticing more hostile drivers on the road towards other drivers.

I am also noticing more online bullying than I did back in the 2000s, what benefit do certain people get by insulting other peoples posts and making them depressed and feel bad?

What seems to be causing this? I know there this has always existed, but it seems far more extreme in the last decade.
Absolutely. I would say your time frame is right. People are just a lot more on edge in the last 10 years.
Certain women drivers have gotten way more hostile. There may be more young women that way now than 18-25 year old males.

I do agree with the other poster, however, that it got worse during the pandemic, for obvious reasons. Isolation and fear causes those reactions.

Why it has been down the last 10 years I don't know. But life expectancy started declining around 2015. And it was largely do to deaths from despair-drugs, suicides. The rudeness and the decline in life expectancy are tied.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:25 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonMMXXII View Post

I believe you're correct. I put a lot of this on social media. Where back in The Good Old Days, getting all smarmy and in-your-face with someone over trivia could have garnered you a punch in the nose or at least a good chewing out--or loss of friends--, today people can do it with impunity because THERE IS NO CONSEQUENCE.

I see it as similar to the new policies of letting people off for serious crimes, with no bail required. When there's no consequence for bad behavior--no big surprise--those types keep behaving worse.

Old 09-10-2022, 12:57 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Strange ... As I grew up during the civil riots. That was hostile. To the point the national guard was called in..
Soon after our area saw more muggings and more gang groups .
As a kid ...in a city. It was terrifying.

Would move further away from the city as the violence became the norm.
Mind you...batter wives still go on. . gun deaths still remain active. Car jackings, and muggings ... If there has been an uptick of anything in my area , it's the emboldened balderdash of Brash lies ..
Radical groups . Bad enough each year even after the civil rights act was passed... Our area has to endure a two day retreat by the Kkk. Nothing good comes from those two days either ..

Old 09-10-2022, 02:23 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,667,429 times
I think the recent surge in hostility began with the non-accountability of social media and was exacerbated by the pandemic, but it was also fueled by the behavior of our politicians and journalists who like to fan the flames every chance they get.

Old 09-10-2022, 02:51 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,150,103 times
Yes, absolutely.
It's little wonder why any job posting involving interactions with people remain unfilled for months.

Old 09-10-2022, 04:09 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
I've noticed that people are more hostile even on City-Data than they were just TWO years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy