Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 06:08 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times

Advertisements

When I was young, my grandmother would say to me when I started wishing things were different, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Go into action for your dreams so you don't woulda, coulda, and shoulda all over yourself because it's harder to live with your regrets when you're old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 02:11 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
List 1 for each catergory:

1) I wish I did___________

2) I wish I hadn't _________

3) I wish I could __________

Here's mine

1. Would of stayed in school and finished.

2. Wish I hadn't married my first wife.

3. Figure out what to do next.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:40 PM

2,140 posts, read 361,502 times
1. Finish my degree.
2. Turned down jobs my ex said I couldn’t take.
3. Understand technology like I used to.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
List 1 for each category:

1) I wish I had been more active and had done more travel right after retirement.

2) I wish I hadn't been in two car accidents.

3) I wish I could get my creative juices flowing.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:19 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
i wish I had been nicer to some people who deserved it, but they've forgotten me, so that's trivial

I wish I didn't ignore blood pressure, but not sure if that would have changed anything..

I wish I had an ear for languages. I can learn to peak and read them, but not understand.

I wouldn't want to unravel anything I voluntarily did that led to my present situation.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:37 PM

801 posts, read 614,808 times
1) I wish I did go away to college instead of being local. In-state but OUT of the house.

2) I wish I hadn't kept my childhood sexual abuse a secret until I was an adult.

3) I wish I could have learned about having boundaries and personality disorders in a high school psych class.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:15 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
List 1 for each catergory:

1) I wish I did___________

2) I wish I hadn't _________

3) I wish I could __________

1. Wish I had stayed in the Navy 4 more years

2. Wish I had not married my 1st wife

3. Wish I could spend more time making friends and enjoying their company instead of working to support my 1st wife

Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
"First spouse" seems to be a unanimous choice for "wish I didn't", but I don't see it that way. All my ex-es, whether I married them or not, were fine women that I admire and respect to this day, and made positive contributions to what has been a fulfilling life.

One day I overheard the talk of a few guys hanging out on a bench. One of the guy's ex was mentioned, and was being lightly bad-mouthed. Finally he said "Aw, she wasn't so bad. I couldn't give her what she wanted, and she found someone who could -- God bless her." A town derelict changed my whole way of thinking.

"I never saw you dance with your feet off the ground -- but I see it now" -- Tracy Lawrence

Old 03-23-2019, 04:57 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
1) I wish I did___________-Killed my sadistic Mother when I was a child/teen; any facility in which Id've then been placed would have been better than life in her home

2) I wish I hadn't _________-left my first husband; he had money, looks and brains, all three.

3) I wish I could __________-feel emotions other than disgust, envy and disdain

Old 06-08-2019, 02:14 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
1) I wish I did_________ Listened to my mom.
Not listening to your mom is part of growing up but in my case; surely, I am a contender for one of the worst, most epic failures of honoring my mother, by not heeding her warnings. I ... am an RN. My mother ... was a double PhD Research Scientist. And I ... am an idiot, to think that somehow, her maternal status invalidated her status as an authority in matters of science.

It was early in the 1990s that my mother, on a rare weekend home from her lab (200 miles away), handed me a file folder full of documents & said; “We have a problem with our ********. Please read this.” I remember that I rolled my eyes & sighed. I never read it.

Unknown to me at that time; the consequences of my idiocy would affect two of my future children; one now long since buried & one permanently & severely disabled. If the warning would have come from anyone else of her stature in science I would have heeded them. Unfortunately, it never did. And still hasn’t.

2) I wish I hadn't _________ Ignored my gut instinct in 2003 & consented to a tubal ligation following the birth of my youngest son.

How was I to know that reproduction had become such a social/political hot-potato after Erlich’s “The Population Bomb” was published in 1968? I was an infant in 1968, born halfway around the world. How was I to know that social/political hot potatoes can result in flexible standards of “statistical significance’, or that med students are not educated on matters that are not statistically significant?

Consequence? A decade of chronic & progressive loss of health that took three surgeries & nine blood transfusions to fix. But it’s fixed now ... meaning; I’m happily un-fixed.

3) I wish I could __________ Be heard. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy