Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 01:30 PM

278 posts, read 622,839 times

Advertisements

I found a beautiful older home in that location (around 7th and culver...3 digit house number..zip 85007.) It, however needs work. Meaning it doesn't have a kitchen and it's missing a bathroom. Apparently someone tried to flip it. It sold 3 months ago for 199 and now they are asking 255....I think they must have done a lot of work outside because it has a beautiful pool and resort type yard. It has over 2,000 square feetinside the home.

Any thoughts of the area? I'm pretty dismayed because honestly, I love older sections of cities, but Phoenix historic areas aren't 'that" old. The ones for 200k and under are pretty bad. Why are these areas so expensive? Thanks in advance for your views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 04:00 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,517,566 times
Older, somewhat lower income area (generally speaking of that "part" of Phoenix, not necessarily that street or block), with some urban renewal north of there. I'd check with the police as far as crime data goes. Maybe spend a few hours there after dark and see what you think....

Old 07-31-2010, 05:43 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
I actually like that area. I don't see that as a "somewhat lower income" area; I looked at the intersection on Google maps. There are some VERY expensive remodeled older homes close around the 7th Ave and I-10 corridor, which drive up the price on all of them, probably including those that haven't been extensively remodeled. If it's not in the FQ Story or Roosevelt Historic Districts, it's right on the edge of one of them. Those neighborhoods have a lot of character and are more and more popular as the nearby downtown has been revitalizing and people want to live closer to downtown. So yes, they seem pricey compared to the cardboard subdivisions full of foreclosures.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:53 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,517,566 times
Quote:
I don't see that as a 'somewhat lower income' area
It's been at least five years since I've spent any significant time in that area. I know there has been some "urban renewal" going on. I know not far from there (especially to the south and southwest) the neighborhoods turn "ugly" fast. I'd be curious about crime data.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:19 AM

278 posts, read 622,839 times
I know that the home I'm interested in was built in 1929, it is absolutely gorgeous, in my opinion, but they want 255k and new owner will have to put a kitchen in and 'find' the missing bathroom. There is a pool and the back seems to have been redone recently. It looks like a resort in the back. I'm assuming that's where they put their money. Apparently this was a flip because it sold for 199k 3 months ago. And I'm assuming they ran out of money to finish it. I love the new homes in the burbs which are sometimes called 'cookie-cutter' homes. But if you look at the beautiful homes in the city you'll see there usually were about three different types in all the neighborhoods (because it was probabaly the same developer even back then.) In any case, this home and neighborhood looks good online...it could be a whole different story in real life.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:18 AM

I work just south of that area, so I drive that stretch of 7th Ave all the time, including just yesterday afternoon, after we'd already started this discussion.

If you love both the cookie cutter subdivisions and the older homes, it's going to come down to other factors as far as which you choose. Sounds to me like the owners made a mistake sinking all that money in the yard before the kitchen and "missing" bathroom were done.

EDIT: I found the listing you are talking about. I'll drive by there later today, just for fun. The back yard is lovely, the house has a lot going for it. I'd want to know about the roof condition, since it's flat. There can be issues with flat roofs here.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:39 AM

687 posts, read 1,946,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie7 View Post
I found a beautiful older home in that location (around 7th and culver...3 digit house number..zip 85007.) It, however needs work. Meaning it doesn't have a kitchen and it's missing a bathroom. Apparently someone tried to flip it. It sold 3 months ago for 199 and now they are asking 255....I think they must have done a lot of work outside because it has a beautiful pool and resort type yard. It has over 2,000 square feetinside the home.

Any thoughts of the area? I'm pretty dismayed because honestly, I love older sections of cities, but Phoenix historic areas aren't 'that" old. The ones for 200k and under are pretty bad. Why are these areas so expensive? Thanks in advance for your views.
The home is in FQ Story - one of the more expensive historic districts. Lots of beautiful homes and close to lots of stuff.

Ritchie is right about it getting rough SW of there. The intersection of 15th Ave/Filmore immediately comes to mind.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 AM

15th Ave/Fillmore is a world away from this location, in terms of the neighborhood. Not even roughly comparable, and not something to worry about.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:19 PM

UPDATE:

2 words for you, annie7. FORGET IT. The pics online are, in a word (or two) false advertising, IMO.

The back yard pictured is NOT THERE. It's DIRT, as is the front (altho there are pics of both a front and back green yard online http://www.trulia.com/property/44761...oenix-AZ-85007). There's no sidewalk snaking across the backyard as in the pic, no grass, no shrubbery, etc. I wondered why the front page pic of the front yard looked dead/dirt, and yet there's a pic in the group of a green yard. I have NO idea when those pics were taken, but they are NOT current. Can you do that with Photshop????

The pool is empty, as the back yard is open at the front on the west side. Sitting empty all summer is not good for any pool. Whatever back patio roof used to be there has been ripped down, there is really no patio off the back of the house at all (nice patio area in the front).

I stand by what I said about the neighborhood -- I didn't see bars on windows and burglar alarm signs, etc. So, if you see another house, let me know, I'll take a look for you.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:19 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
15th Ave/Fillmore is a world away from this location, in terms of the neighborhood. Not even roughly comparable, and not something to worry about.
I was speaking in reference to FQ Story as a whole - 15th Ave/Fillmore is about a quarter mile from the SW corner of the neighborhood. It's obviously more like a mile (and a freeway) away from 7th/Culver. No worries at all. Bummer the house was so misrepresented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area