Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:48 PM

9 posts, read 15,118 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm in Dallas and will be relocating in the next couple of months. I am looking for an area to live with a close, easy commute to work, which will be located near Central & Indian School Rd. (in btwn hwys 17 & 51, just north of 10), zip code 85012.

Wanting to rent, preferably under $800;
Safe enough to go on walks at night;
Convenient to.....grocery stores/Whole Foods or Trader Joes/good restaurants priority over bars/gym;
Quick access to highways (no I'm not a bank robber!);
Single female, 30's.

Not looking for mega cookie cutter white carpet apt complex style living...so suggestions for neighborhoods or specific streets might be most helpful.

Thanks in advance for your input. If there are any other details I can provide to narrow the search let me know, thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 PM

96 posts, read 306,360 times
I'm curious what makes you move to Phoenix from Dallas? I live in Oklahoma and am trying to decide between Houston and Phoenix. Any tips?

Old 08-08-2010, 07:20 PM

SoonerGirl: Being relocated for a specific job. I've only been to PHX a handful of times, so it would be tough for me to compare. I've always had a great time when I've been out there (PHX), good food, lots of outdoorsy stuff to do, quick trips to Sedona or flagtaff....Both cities have reputations for long commute times, being spread out with traffic. Houston is humid, PHX is hot. Both are big cities, so you'll have all the ammenities you could want. Houston feels more urban to me. Texas has stayed pretty stable through the recession, so that might make a difference for jobs, but you might get a good deal in PHX if you are looking for a house...Sorry, I'm not able to give very authoritative answers!!

Old 08-09-2010, 02:59 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl67 View Post
I'm curious what makes you move to Phoenix from Dallas? I live in Oklahoma and am trying to decide between Houston and Phoenix. Any tips?
Coming from Oklahoma, Houston will feel more familiar to you in every regard so if you want to move to a city that feels more like home, Houston is your choice. If you want to experience more of west coast city that will remind you of LA, then you should move to Phoenix. Culturally, the two cities are entirely different and you will note that.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:47 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,877 times
To answer your original question, check out the condo highrise buildings along Central Ave. Between McDowell and Thomas there is a nice building called Regency House and on Camelback there is a tall building with a name that escapes me at the moment, but I think starts with an "L" (maybe Landmark?) I believe there are places in between those locations as well. Definitely not the typical cookie cutter apartment complexes but the rent might be out of your range if you want to live without a room mate.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:28 PM

Thx gsm! So, you think that area is pretty good? Safe?

I don't have to stay in the immediate vicinity of the work location, if that makes a difference...preferably not more than a 20 min or so commute. I will definitely need my car, so public transportation is not a requirement. Should I not consider scottsdale, paradise valley? too expensive or too far? I just have no idea. Thanks.

Also, I was thinking about staying at the Midtown Extended Stay Deluxe right when I move there (just because it's v. close to work), then start looking at neighborhoods, etc. Once I figure out the area to concentrate on, it will be a lot easier. Thanks again!!

Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2PHX View Post
Thx gsm! So, you think that area is pretty good? Safe?

I don't have to stay in the immediate vicinity of the work location, if that makes a difference...preferably not more than a 20 min or so commute. I will definitely need my car, so public transportation is not a requirement. Should I not consider scottsdale, paradise valley? too expensive or too far? I just have no idea. Thanks.

Also, I was thinking about staying at the Midtown Extended Stay Deluxe right when I move there (just because it's v. close to work), then start looking at neighborhoods, etc. Once I figure out the area to concentrate on, it will be a lot easier. Thanks again!!
Using the extended stay motel while you get your feet wet (or warm) finding your way around the neighborhoods in Phoenix that might fit your needs is the perfect solution. Check back with us after you get here and start looking around. Closest Whole Foods to your work is at 40th and Camelback; closest Trader Joes is at 20th St and Camelback, which is not all that far from your work, and a nice area-- lots of restaurants/shopping along Camelback, and an easy shot into Scottsdale along C-back also.

The actual TOWN of Paradise Valley has no rentals -expensive older homes, mostly. The area that is loosely described as Paradise Valley is north and east of there. It's got some nice areas, and some not so nice areas on some of the edges. You will see for yourself when you get here. Most of it would be longer than 20 min commute in normal rush hours. You could look at Scottsdale, but it would be a city street commute down Indian School if you lived in the Old Town area, could be a little sluggish. The commute from north central or north Scottsdale would be too long, I think.

Last edited by observer53; 08-09-2010 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 02:11 PM

Thx Observer, great comments!

Old 08-09-2010, 03:08 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,877 times
I think you will find most decent-looking rental complexes are large cookie cutter types which you said you wanted to avoid. The one on Central are more like NYC highrise-style living which is a nice change from the rest. I've lived in both types of places and definitely prefer the highrises. The area is safe though you don't have to go far to feel unsafe.

In my opinion Scottsdale/PV are a little far and like the other poster said, there is no freeway that goes east-west in that part of the city so you'd be stuck with using surface streets.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
I used to work not far from that area .... there used to be an AJs that isn't far away, which could be a decent grocery option

not sure what you are looking for on restaurants - but I found the area around central to be a little more catered to the lunch crowd than the diner set .... but again, it depends on how far you want to travel for dinner, if you want to drive, etc

you could live along central and have good access to downtown, the biltmore area, etc and get enough options to keep you entertained for a while

one thing to note if you are using I-10 and get out at 5 from work the commute can be tough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area