Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:45 AM

146 posts, read 481,965 times

Advertisements

Sunnyslope is one of the most ghetto places in Phoenix, it's not artsy or diverse in anyway, it's full of hispanic familes and business, if you're white you won't do well in this area.

Drive down 7th st and you'll see the amazing town of sunnyslope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 PM

278 posts, read 622,796 times
I've looked at homes in the 85020 and some area absolutely beautiful~They are higher priced than most of the suburbs for their style and lot size. Who knew? Not me. Maybe I should continue to look in Ahwatukee. The input here is good.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:46 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumari View Post
Sunnyslope is one of the most ghetto places in Phoenix, it's not artsy or diverse in anyway, it's full of hispanic familes and business, if you're white you won't do well in this area.

Drive down 7th st and you'll see the amazing town of sunnyslope.
You shouldn't generalize like that about the whole Sunnyslope area of Phoenix because it is not true. IMO the way you are wording your comment is stereotyping and sounds somewhat racist. I'm not saying you are, just saying how your written words are translating. I drive down 7th St on a regular basis in Sunnyslope and there are pockets of what you describe but there are also a lot of diverse neighborhoods as well.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
You shouldn't generalize like that about the whole Sunnyslope area of Phoenix because it is not true. IMO the way you are wording your comment is stereotyping and sounds somewhat racist. I'm not saying you are, just saying how your written words are translating. I drive down 7th St on a regular basis in Sunnyslope and there are pockets of what you describe but there are also a lot of diverse neighborhoods as well.
What do you consider diverse? A few black guys among a group of hispanics?

And you have it backwards, there are pockts of good area,
the other 99% of the area is ghetto.

I simply stated my observations of the area, not sure how you consider that racist.

As for artsy, the closest you'll get to that is colorful graffiti.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:10 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
What do you consider diverse? A few black guys among a group of hispanics?

And you have it backwards, there are pockts of good area,
the other 99% of the area is ghetto.

I simply stated my observations of the area, not sure how you consider that racist.

As for artsy, the closest you'll get to that is colorful graffiti.
Sunnyslope isn't a ghetto ... it's working class (much like the Alhambra area of west Phoenix). There is a difference between a lower income, working class area, and an area that is littered with gangs and crime.

Phoenix really doesn't have true ghettos. Many people like to label Maryvale and much of south Phoenix as ghetto areas, and they probably are pretty close. However, in the true definition of "ghetto", there are parts of Chicago, Detroit, and other older cities which fit that description far better (or worse) than anything you'll ever find in & around Phoenix.

Believe me, for a city as large as Phoenix, we have it pretty good here as far as crime, gangs, and run down neighborhoods. Admittedly, there are a good share of those areas, but other cities have pockets that are much less desirable than even districts like Maryvale. And compared to the project areas of cities like Chicago, the Sunnyslope area would be considered a close knit middle class section.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:59 AM

I am not trying to compare Sunnyslope to Harlem, but as far as the worse towns in Phoenix, Sunnyslope easily gets first.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:54 AM

159 posts, read 397,218 times
I have visited Sunnyslope quite often for various reasons during the past 30 years (lots of great repair shops, trade services, places to eat,house hunting, son's friends) and have felt out of place but never in danger. Not a ghetto.
As a comparison, there are places in south and SW Phoenix where most everything is abandon & boarded up and I have driven thru red lights to avoid obvious trouble (groups running up, screaming, throwing stuff). I only take my truck into these areas anymore and only during the day. Ghetto (by Arizona standards).

Old 09-03-2010, 10:11 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
I am not trying to compare Sunnyslope to Harlem, but as far as the worse towns in Phoenix, Sunnyslope easily gets first.
This statement is proof that you're completely unfamiliar with Sunnyslope. It's not ghetto by any means. However, it IS shabby and ugly in most places. There are pockets of nice working class homes, as well as the nicer homes built into the hills. However, it's not nearly as dangerous and crime-ridden as Maryvale. This is a fact, not some ill-informed rant. I refer you to the crime stats posted by the city of Phoenix. As others have said, even the worst areas of Phoenix don't compare to the true ghettos of older big cities like New York and Chicago. But by Arizona standards, Maryvale is one scary place, and Sunnyslope is just minor league ugly.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:03 PM

278 posts, read 622,796 times
Hmmmmmmmmmm..honestly? Graffiti can be very artsy....I've seen some great graffiti! Diverse...meaning more than just white families. I want a good investment for sure because this is the home we'll leave for the kids to sell or do whatever. I have not been to Sunnyslope and that's why I'm asking. This is a great forum to get many different opinions and then one can decide. Only by the pictures of Sunnyslope do I judge it to be absolutley beautiful landwise. It seems to be homes in the hills up to the mountain...North Mountain right??? Anyway, I find all the comments interesting. In the end, I guess I'll play it on the safe side.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:14 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie7 View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmm..honestly? Graffiti can be very artsy....I've seen some great graffiti! Diverse...meaning more than just white families. I want a good investment for sure because this is the home we'll leave for the kids to sell or do whatever. I have not been to Sunnyslope and that's why I'm asking. This is a great forum to get many different opinions and then one can decide. Only by the pictures of Sunnyslope do I judge it to be absolutley beautiful landwise. It seems to be homes in the hills up to the mountain...North Mountain right??? Anyway, I find all the comments interesting. In the end, I guess I'll play it on the safe side.
LOLOL Artsy graffiti? Try selling your home in a neighborhood with artsy graffiti and see how that goes!

Sunnyslope is diverse, in that it's comprised of mostly Hispanic residents, along with older Anglo residents, and the ubiquitous white tweakers. Some Blacks, but virtually no Asians that I've noticed.

Right now, I'm not sure Sunnyslope would be a good investment for your legacy. The very best course of action would be to see for yourself. You've already received an abundance of strong opinions from the locals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area