Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:45 PM

26 posts, read 81,410 times

Advertisements

It’s in a Chandler. Most of the houses are painted when it was built in 1997/98 and are decent looking. Nothing faded anything ugly.

HOA has send out letters to select houses (ie houses that are not painted in the last 5 or 6 years) citing " It is necessary to protect and enhance the property values and standard of living which we currently enjoy".

Any one with experience on similar issues? While I understand the need to make all the homes beautiful, spending 2 or 3K in this economy is not easy.

I never got a clear answer on why my house was "Selected" nor my neighbor got a clear answer....What are my options??

Last edited by bentley98; 10-04-2010 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 02:48 PM

894 posts, read 2,201,102 times
Wow, first, back up on changing the font and colors. Just bold what you are trying to quote.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:14 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley98 View Post
I never got a clear answer on why my house was "Selected" nor my neighbor got a clear answer....What are my options??
Your option is to read and understand every word in the CC&Rs you signed when you purchased your home. You bought a house in an area governed by an HOA, so now you get to "reap the benefits." Tough lesson to learn. Far too many people sign and don't pay attention to the details until something comes up that they don't like. Reading the fine print can save you a lot of grief.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:48 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
There are guys on Craigslist who will blow out a paint job for under a grand, unless your place is huge...

As for beating the HOA... well, write your congressman...

Old 10-04-2010, 05:32 PM

As per HOA, " Your house looks old and need to be painted". How "old" is old? No one knows. There is nothing on CC&R or anything.They have "Selected" 50 houses or so...mind you these are all 12 or 13 year old houses.

That is why I want to know the options...Is there legal option where I don't have to spend lots of time and money?

Old 10-04-2010, 05:38 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
You need to clarify exactly what the HOA is requesting, Bentley.

Have you considered attending a monthly or quarterly meeting to discuss the demands in the letter?

If they are referring to a particular area, then fix the problem and move on. If your home is only twelve plus years old, it is very unlikely the entire structure needs painting. More than likely, just a quick "fresher upper" or possibly a particular area is not meeting CC&R requirements.

Bottom line . . . the entire community benefits from an enforced standard of appearance.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:45 PM

I talked to the community manger. Their official response is that "Older homes need to be repainted". Its not on a specific area of the house or any place there is a violation of the rules etc....If that is the case, they should have specifics

While I undesrtand the positive intent behind all these but , I don't agree with what they are asking lots folks ( 50 plus houses) to do in this economy.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:49 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
As per HOA, " Your house looks old and need to be painted". How "old" is old? No one knows. There is nothing on CC&R or anything.They have "Selected" 50 houses or so...mind you these are all 12 or 13 year old houses.

That is why I want to know the options...Is there legal option where I don't have to spend lots of time and money?
Unless you're a lawyer, or close family member of one, generally "legal option" equals lots of money. Best wishes on your windmill tilting, Don. You have your work cut out for you.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:49 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
If there's nothing anywhere in the CC and R's that can be read to give them authority to make you paint your house, then I would go to the next HOA board meeting and discuss it- ask them to point out where they think their authority is coming from. If they haven't specifically cited the CC and R's in the letter, there may not be anything to cite. It's fine for them to rally the troops and encourage everyone to spiff up their paint jobs; if that's all they are doing, then there isn't an issue.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
I talked to the community manger. Their official response is that "Older homes need to be repainted". Its not on a specific area of the house or any place there is a violation of the rules etc....If that is the case, they should have specifics

While I undesrtand the positive intent behind all these but , I don't agree with what they are asking lots folks ( 50 plus houses) to do in this economy.
The "community manager" is likely an outside/contracted property management firm. It's pretty common for these companies to abuse the residents to justify the fees they charge - sometimes in cahoots with their "associated" law firm that also collects fees from residents.

You need to take your 50 grumpy neighbors to a board meeting and get them fired if they're making unreasonable demands.

Hiring a lawyer just means you get to pay twice - as a plaintiff and as a defendant/property owner...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area