Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 08:01 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson native View Post
Fences? Really? No threat to humans? Google it. My dog was taken over our 6ft "fence" in seconds. Our other dog was severely injured when 2 coyotes jumped over with ease. My 16 year old son was outside with them. I hope you never have to experience anything so horrible. My son witnessed the attack. How would you like for your child to have that image in their mind for the rest of their life? My "baby" was torn apart and left for the buzzards. This was 2 days ago. I ran through the desert found 2, they stared at me not running-not afraid until I was about 20 ft away. What's next? Waiting for a child to be attacked? Like I said, Google it. Many children are attacked every year with their parents right next to them!
I'm sorry to hear about your dogs. That's absolutely horrible. That seems like a very rare occurrence, but just awful. I've always heard that coyotes are scared of people so I'm alarmed to hear that they pursued your dogs with your son present. Out of curiosity, do you back to open desert or are you in a neighborhood? What kind of dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 09:36 PM

129 posts, read 187,176 times
Personally, I wish that I had a few neighborhood coyotes,, to keep our cottontail population down. I have to put chicken wire fence around everything I plant, even cacti. The rabbits are everywhere, with no predators to control them.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:44 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Fences? Really? No threat to humans? Google it. My dog was taken over our 6ft "fence" in seconds. Our other dog was severely injured when 2 coyotes jumped over with ease. My 16 year old son was outside with them. I hope you never have to experience anything so horrible. My son witnessed the attack. How would you like for your child to have that image in their mind for the rest of their life? My "baby" was torn apart and left for the buzzards. This was 2 days ago. I ran through the desert found 2, they stared at me not running-not afraid until I was about 20 ft away. What's next? Waiting for a child to be attacked? Like I said, Google it. Many children are attacked every year with their parents right next to them!
Very sorry about your dogs... but I am frankly dubious about "many children attacked every year with their parents right next to them". First, that would be all over every news station in Arizona if true. Second, coyotes seem very adept at "sizing up" what is in front of them and no taking on anything they can see is too big. Which an adult next to a child would be. Just like one less than 20 feet away chose not to take on my dog on a leash with me right next to her.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:23 AM

13,264 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Over population of Coyote's is because they have no natural predator since we have created a utopia in the desert they are increasing in numbers. I don't see a problem with culling the population if needed. I'm all for wild life but we still have to remember where we stand on the food chain. I have a few small dogs that when they go outside I stand out there with them. A coyote came in to my neighbors back yard after his cat but instead his 2 Rottweiler about killed the coyote night next morning we found a blood trail we tracked and finished him off humane thing to do. I don't go out of my way to kill them but if they get in my yard won't be leaving. So many of them not really going to hurt the population a few killed.

Someone posted back on page 1 or 2 that one could make a sound suppressor from a plastic bottle not a good idea get caught with that on a .22 end up 10 year in prison. You can get a pellet gun that is as powerful as a firearm and will kill a coyote which is legal to shoot in city limits.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Over population of Coyote's is because they have no natural predator since we have created a utopia in the desert they are increasing in numbers. I don't see a problem with culling the population if needed. I'm all for wild life but we still have to remember where we stand on the food chain. I have a few small dogs that when they go outside I stand out there with them. A coyote came in to my neighbors back yard after his cat but instead his 2 Rottweiler about killed the coyote night next morning we found a blood trail we tracked and finished him off humane thing to do. I don't go out of my way to kill them but if they get in my yard won't be leaving. So many of them not really going to hurt the population a few killed.

Someone posted back on page 1 or 2 that one could make a sound suppressor from a plastic bottle not a good idea get caught with that on a .22 end up 10 year in prison. You can get a pellet gun that is as powerful as a firearm and will kill a coyote which is legal to shoot in city limits.
Just as an FYI, silencers are available at many gun shops here in AZ. Saw a whole display case full of 'em at a gun range/store right by Ikea.
As for the Coyote topic, not only are there natural Coyotes but there's also dogs that have gone feral after being dumped.
My personal opinion is if a Coyote is hanging around homes, jumps into any yard or shows no fear of humans it needs to be dispatched from this world.

As for cottontails, we had that problem once and it all started because one of our stupid neighbors got their kids rabbits for Easter and when they didn't take care of 'em they "let them free". Guess what rabbits do when they congregate? MULTIPLY.

The only solution was to reduce the population to a manageable number via .22 .

Old 01-19-2015, 10:02 AM

129 posts, read 187,176 times
More fun to see the coyotes chase em down, as nature intended.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,468 times
Quote:
Tucson Native ... sorry about your dogs, that is horrible. Your fence information is useful for those of us with similar concerns. My neighbours are all constructing fences (new houses... backing onto greenbelt ... coyotes seen). We are discussing fence construction. Could you tell me what type of fence it was? We had an incident recently here where two coyotes "cleared a 6 foot fence with ease" and killed a dog in the yard. We are considering 7 foot fences with either coyote rollers or an additional 1 foot wrought iron (pointed spokes) on top to make it 8 feet overall and hope that will be enough. Of course, dogs will be supervised in the yards and cats kept indoors.

Please.... no smartass comments, this is a serious posting by a concerned pet owner.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:30 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshyne9 View Post
Tucson Native ... sorry about your dogs, that is horrible. Your fence information is useful for those of us with similar concerns. My neighbours are all constructing fences (new houses... backing onto greenbelt ... coyotes seen). We are discussing fence construction. Could you tell me what type of fence it was? We had an incident recently here where two coyotes "cleared a 6 foot fence with ease" and killed a dog in the yard. We are considering 7 foot fences with either coyote rollers or an additional 1 foot wrought iron (pointed spokes) on top to make it 8 feet overall and hope that will be enough. Of course, dogs will be supervised in the yards and cats kept indoors.

Please.... no smartass comments, this is a serious posting by a concerned pet owner.
If youre truly concerned, you need to be outside with your pet at all times, and be armed with something just in case. Coyotes can hop 8' walls, so unless you plan on building an unsightly fence thats higher than that, or top a standard fence with razor wire, you need to supervise your pets, simple as that. Sorry if this comes across as "smarta**" but simple supervision by an armed individual should be all that you need to keep your pets safe. Theres no need to go bonkers with expensive fences that are ugly that cant guarantee to keep predators out.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,468 times
I guess what we're wondering the most is if the coyote rollers actually work. They've been around for so many years, but surprising very few comments about their effectiveness can be found.

And.... yes, pets will be supervised at all times, but it appears that even if you are 20 feet away, harm can be done in an instant.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:39 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshyne9 View Post
I guess what we're wondering the most is if the coyote rollers actually work. They've been around for so many years, but surprising very few comments about their effectiveness can be found.

And.... yes, pets will be supervised at all times, but it appears that even if you are 20 feet away, harm can be done in an instant.
That is because coyotes are mostly a non issue. Just like everything, there will be the isolated case where something goes wrong but coyotes and not a huge problem for human safety or pet safety if the pets are kept in your yard or on a leash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area