Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:10 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times

Advertisements

Forbes ranks the most toxic cities in America. Phoenix was not even in the top 25. Their rankings include (1) Air Quality (2) # EPA responses (3) #Facilities releasing toxic chemicals (4) Pounds of Toxic Chemicals Released into the Area. I'm pretty impressed. It confirms the idea that Phoenix is one of the cleanest of the major metropolitan cities. Hopefully this information will better enable people to make an educated and informed decision to move here.

America's Most Toxic Cities - Forbes.com

For a quick glance, Here are top 15

1 Atlanta
2 Detroit
3 Chicago
3 Houston
5 Philadelphia
6 Cleveland
7 Los Angelas
8 Jacksonville
9 Baltimore
10 Portland
11 Dallas
12 Milwaukee
13 Orlando
14 Charlotte
15 Kansas City

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-11-2010 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 AM

204 posts, read 629,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Forbes ranks the most toxic cities in America. Phoenix was not even in the top 25. Their rankings include (1) Air Quality (2) # EPA responses (3) #Facilities releasing toxic chemicals (4) Pounds of Toxic Chemicals Released into the Area. I'm pretty impressed. It should confirms the idea that Phoenix is one of the most cleanest of the major metropolitan cities despite the air quality. It should also be noted that Phoenix was not ranked in the top 10 among ozone and short term particle in air quality so that's something else to consider. Hopefully this information will better enable people to make an educated and informed decision to move here

America's Most Toxic Cities - Forbes.com

For a quick glance, Here are top 15

1 Atlanta
2 Detroit
3 Chicago
3 Houston
5 Philadelphia
6 Cleveland
7 Los Angelas
8 Jacksonville
9 Baltimore
10 Portland
11 Dallas
12 Milwaukee
13 Orlando
14 Charlotte
15 Kansas City
Great post...can I ask your opinion though? Why does it seem like it smells here? I'm not trying to offend anyone as I do think it's beautiful out here but when I first arrived in 2000 I remember thinking it smelled odd. Maybe it was the heat since we moved in the summertime and that summer was particularly hot but I still feel that way about the water too. I know I am sensitive to smell but I can smell the ice cubes outside the freezer!

Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
It may be from the heat. I've never noticed a persistent particular smell here on a year round basis.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moveeast31 View Post
Great post...can I ask your opinion though? Why does it seem like it smells here? I'm not trying to offend anyone as I do think it's beautiful out here but when I first arrived in 2000 I remember thinking it smelled odd. Maybe it was the heat since we moved in the summertime and that summer was particularly hot but I still feel that way about the water too. I know I am sensitive to smell but I can smell the ice cubes outside the freezer!
I haven't noticed a particular smell so I can't comment on that. But I do note a particular smell when I've gone to cities like New York, Chicago, Boston, Houston, LA and Miami. It doesn't suprise me why Phoenix doesn't smell considering we release far less toxic chemicals in the air when compared to the other cities.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It may be from the heat. I've never noticed a persistent particular smell here on a year round basis.
True, it definitely doesn't seem prominent in the cooler months which is odd to me because that is when they claim the pollution is the worst right?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:56 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Maybe you were a dog in a previous life.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:01 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,694 times
Try some of those cities ranked in the 'quality of life' category and they would be in the dead last column. I would be for concerned about crime than air quality.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Maybe you were a dog in a previous life.
LOL..in all seriousness, people need to see the entire picture and not just form an opinion of Phoenix environmental rankings based on one category. People need to be properly informed

Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,322,511 times
Quote:
I always enjoy the 3 week period end of March going into April when the citrus blooms. I have always enjoyed the smell. There are lots of citrus trees (mostly in yards) in the part of the Valley where I live.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I always enjoy the 3 week period end of March going into April when the citrus blooms. I have always enjoyed the smell. There are lots of citrus trees (mostly in yards) in the part of the Valley where I live.
Yes! I also love those cactus that look like little paddles and they turn purple when it rains...what are those called?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area