Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 AM

278 posts, read 622,887 times

Advertisements

So excited as you can tell....we are closing on our new home feb 20th and our long journey of trying to migrate out west is coming to a close. I want to make the yard beautiful and am bringing planters......what sort of things grow well there? Thanks in advance...oh yeah, and I'm definately going to have coffee with some of you....on me of course...for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie7 View Post
So excited as you can tell....we are closing on our new home feb 20th and our long journey of trying to migrate out west is coming to a close. I want to make the yard beautiful and am bringing planters......what sort of things grow well there? Thanks in advance...oh yeah, and I'm definately going to have coffee with some of you....on me of course...for your help.
There are some really good nurseries here that can help you with good choices for container plants, seasonal flower pots, etc., as well as in-ground planting. A lot will depend on full sun/morning sun only/partio plants, etc. Summer Winds Nursery, Whitfill's, Harper's, and, (pricier but worth the drive just to see) Berridge's on Camelback.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Stay away from Moon Valley nurseries.

Visit the desert garden at Glendale Community College or the Botanical Garden in Phoenix. Visit the Desert Botanical Garden | Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix, AZ

Take a look at all the desert appropriate plants they have. It'll help you design your landscaping too.

I strongly suggest you familiarize yourself with the sun exposure around your house: what areas get morning sun, afternoon sun, the north area of the house, the south area, etc.

You need to be super careful with areas that have western exposure (afternoon sun). I'd would plant items that LOVE intense heat (no such thing as "heat tolerance" in my book) in areas that get afternoon sun.

I suggest you consider a rock garden with desert plantings on area that gets afternoon sun.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:32 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,109 times
I second the recommendations to visit nurseries. Whitfill and Summer Winds are my faves.

I had the brightest green thumb when living in California. Now my green thumb is black. I have the hardest time growing anything here.

My recommendations include lantana, ruellia, and honeysuckle (the orange flowering kind) for flowering plants. Mine are all in the ground and do well in the summer in full sun. I'm not sure yet if the frost last month killed my honeysuckle and ruellia, but they aren't looking good. The lantana usually rebounds just fine.

Aloe vera grows well in the shade and this also includes in pots. I have about 5 pots of aloe I've divided over the years. I also have one in the ground that does well year-round, but it does turn brown in the summer.

I've gotten rosemary to grow well in ground and in pots. On my patio right now, I have herbs as my decorative plants and grow a few cilantro and spinach plants. They do well in the winter in partial sun.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM

278 posts, read 622,887 times
Great advice...I think our new house is north - south exposure...We'll be in Ahwatukee. The whole thing about moving is exciting...I do want to have lots of great plants and herbs is a great idea.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 AM

99 posts, read 148,824 times
Default Our plans

Quote:
We have been in our home for a month now, and most of the yard is 'desert' landscaping, with mature saguaros, organ pipe, prickly pear, barrel and other cacti. Plus tons of agave and aloe.

There are a few plants that need water, but we are gradually going to replace them with drought resistant plants.

As another poster mentioned, herbs in shaded patio pots are a good option - we love fresh herbs so we may add some rosemary - etc as we have a number of unused drip irrigation lines perfect for potted plants.

One of the reasons we bought our place was the 'desert' feel to the yard - where we come from it's the opposite (Vancouver Island) where it is reasonably mild, but quite wet.

We did find a number of publications on xeriscaping, desert plants, etc at the local library - so we are busy reading up.

SeaG

Old 01-28-2011, 04:53 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I've gotten rosemary to grow well in ground and in pots. On my patio right now, I have herbs as my decorative plants and grow a few cilantro and spinach plants. They do well in the winter in partial sun.
The rosemary I planted in the ground in Tucson in a highly exposed area has grown to big bush size and gets lovely blue flowers on it. In Phoenix, you might have to put it out of full exposure since it's even hotter there. I start herbs in pots in full sun in the spring, then have to move them to the covered patio around Memorial Day. I have much better luck with Mediterranean herbs than those more common to northern areas. Basil, for instance, thrives as long as you give it shade in summer. The unrelenting heat just wilts most herbs no matter how much they may be sun-loving.

Listen to your local nursery people. It IS possible to grow plenty in the desert, but the requirements are so different than anywhere else I've ever lived. As for flowers, I've had good luck with African and Mexican daisies, salvia (the kind with spiky flowers), Eremophila (commonly called an emu bush, an Australian native), desert barberry (it gives you flowers and berries), bee balm, coneflowers, and desert mallow.

Lantana comes in tons of colors, will bloom all summer, gets huge, and requires no care but it's not pretty in the winter. Most people tolerate that one shortcoming, however, since lantana yields the most color other than bougainvillea, which is gorgeous but in my experience is finicky.

I put annuals like petunias in pots in March, let them grow huge, then pitch them when it gets really hot. You have to water them so often the water boils the roots, which is how we kill most plants here.

In Arizona, plants with red flowers attract tons of hummingbirds. At my house, they come right up to the patio door and are fun to watch.

Here's a comprehensive list of desert plants I've found useful:
Xeriscape Plants for the Desert Southwest

Enjoy your garden!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:42 PM

142 posts, read 933,731 times
I think it depends on what look you are going for and what kind of neighborhood you'll be living in. I have a relatively tropical yard that includes: lantana, oleander, cape honeysuckle, torch glow bougainveilla, flower beds, queen palms, and some white cloud sage. But, if I were living in a community that was more desert landscape oriented I'd go for things like lantana(as a ground cover instead of a bush), yucca, mesquite trees, bird of paradise, red sage, penstemon(hummingbirds love this), rosemary, ruellia, etc.

My suggestion is: if you are moving into a brand new home, take note of the sun exposure and how the house is oriented. Some plants really do need part shade in the summer heat here and will do better near a shaded wall. I have found that I have killed my share of plants by putting things in places where they just aren't happy, LOL! I enjoy Summer Winds Nurseries because they have great input and can answer lots of questions and make suggestions for you. They also have a great variety of plants that you won't find at Home Depot or Lowes.

Here's a photo of one side of our backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area