Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 17,641 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are planning to move out to the Phoenix area this summer (from CT). I love what I have seen online about Val Vista Lakes. Planning to come out soon and see it for ourselves. But I just discovered Estrella in Goodyear and that looks beautiful too. Would love to hear comparisons of the 2 communities. Husband would be working in Phoenix (no idea yet what part, but he doesn't mind the commute for the right place to live). We have kids who are just finishing 1st grade. They would love the waterpark area of Estrella but I don't want to choose a community based on a couple of water slides! Can anyone with a knowledge of both areas tell me what you think of the communities? Val Vista Lakes Elementary vs. Estrella Mountain Elementary? THanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 07:00 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletmommy View Post
Hi, we are planning to move out to the Phoenix area this summer (from CT). I love what I have seen online about Val Vista Lakes. Planning to come out soon and see it for ourselves. But I just discovered Estrella in Goodyear and that looks beautiful too. Would love to hear comparisons of the 2 communities. Husband would be working in Phoenix (no idea yet what part, but he doesn't mind the commute for the right place to live). We have kids who are just finishing 1st grade. They would love the waterpark area of Estrella but I don't want to choose a community based on a couple of water slides! Can anyone with a knowledge of both areas tell me what you think of the communities? Val Vista Lakes Elementary vs. Estrella Mountain Elementary? THanks!!!
I think just about everyone in Estrella loves it and would never want to live anywhere else in the metro. It is a community up here not just another subdivision, because it is remote and removed from the rest of the valley. The schools reflect that; they are "our" schools. There is a lot of parent participation and a good deal of satisfaction with them. Estrella Mountain especially has families that have gone there. Many of the teachers have been there for years and know the kids, their older siblings, that sort of thing. They are making some changes this year. EMES is going to be offering special programs as a "neighborhood school" including things like expanded drama offerings. It is also going to have an International Baccalaureate program for those who would like their kids to study more and play less. Anyway, great place to live, I think.

No comments or criticisms of Val Vista. I am sure it is a very desirable place as well. Visit both, check things out and make your decision. Either way the fundamentals are good and you can't go wrong. Keep in mind, with the seclusion of Estrella comes more time in the car getting to places you want. Val Vista is pretty much in the thick of things.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:11 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
I'm going to suggest that you reconsider that commute issue. Do you really want him to lose 2-3 hours per day with your kids because you selected a community so far from his job?

Find out where he will be working, then find the right community for your entire family.

Estrella and VV lakes are lovely communities. The former newer, but more isolated. VV Lakes is older but conveniently located to restaurants, shops, etc. There are plenty of other similar and equally nice communities in the valley.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:48 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
Every person is going to be defensive and think their city is the greatest in the world and without flaws. You will find this is a common theme on this forum. You need to get opinions from third party people who can objectively view these communities. I live in Chandler, you won't hear a bad comment about Chandler from me.

Also, you should rent in the Valley for a year before moving to a place. You really can't know what a place is like until you live and understand the Valley. You will find out where your friends live. You will discover certain parts of town that you enjoy dining in. You will notice airport commutes and work commutes. You will notice some areas are better for kids and will be proximal to parks, Targets, grocery stores, gyms, nice schools etc.

And don't ignore home prices. For the most part, there is a reason why certain homes cost more than others. I know many will disagree but there is SOME truth to that. You get what you pay for the most part. I know I will take heat for this comment but I still stand by it. I'm not saying prices define neighborhoods but it is one indicator of quality.

Think what type of people cheaper homes attract. Sorry not a P.C. comment but it's true. That's been my experience. I've been in inexpensive beautiful neighborhoods with nice homes and then you see some guy with a shaved head and wife beater in the garage with the 1970's plastic weightlifting set and stuffed full of junk to the point you can't park cars in there. You will see lot of cheap cars and RV's on the curb not to mention a bunch of guys with their shirts off standing in the yard drinking a beer with a bunch of tattoos. Some of the houses have well kept yards while others are messy. You will see a "For Sale" or "For Rent" sign on every other house. I don't really like the elite cold snobby neighborhoods either but you want friendly, educated and somewhat classy people in the neighborhood. You don't need to buy in the most high end subdivision but if a home is beautiful and dirt cheap, there is a reason for that. For the most part, all neighborhoods and houses look great on the internet and MLS. You gotta see them in person.

So to recap, rent here for a year, drive around and get to know these neighborhoods intimately first. The worst thing you can do is move here and buy or commit to a certain neighborhood without knowing the area.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 05-18-2011 at 01:00 AM..

Old 05-18-2011, 05:41 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

I know I will take heat for this comment but I still stand by it.

Think what type of people cheaper homes attract.

The reason you "take heat" is because you stereotype. Remember, "the west Valley is uneducated" comment? I read your posts as if you think you are better than others.

To answer your question as to the reasons why people are attracted to cheaper homes: in 2011, cheaper homes attract people that pay cash for homes. For that matter, people are attracted to Phoenix area in genreal for the sun (and as important) because of the cost of living! I don't see trashy people in my new hood. I see freindly neighbors walking their dog, jogging, waving when they drive home from work. I assume you see the same. While we are philosophical, I happen to think people that take out loans on fancier cars lack money management skills or suffer for low self esteem. In my mind, that erases many years of college and common ssense. But I diverge...

The OP was comparing Estrella to Val Vista. Ponderosa just got done explaining what makes his area unique. But you had go on-and-on about shaved heads, tattoos, stuffed garages etc. Didn't you recommend people to live in an area 1st?? How well do you know the Estrella area then? Are you suggesting to the OP that Estrella is full of trashy people??

Give me your zipcode and I will find some local sex offenders, dozens of homes in foreclosure, and snap some pictures of people who drink beer outside. There is nothing that special about Chandler. It's just an average town in comparison to Minnesota.

I bought a home in Surprise. But I need to ask. In your opinion, are you better than me?? In other words are you friendlier, classier, smarter, a better husband, a better parent?? Because when I read your posts that's what I think you are saying.

Let's all get back to the OP's question. But I just had to comment.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 05-18-2011 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-18-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletmommy View Post
I looked at buying in Val Vista (PM Capt Bill as he knows the lakes area better than anyone on the forum). I LOVED that area. If I was going to live in the Valley full time I would have bought a water front home in Val Vista Lakes. But I could not rationalize parting with $800K-$1M for a home that I use just a few months a year. The numbers just wouldn't work.

Val Vista is a fantastic community with a lot to offer. But for me I'd need to be on the water or it would just be another great neighborhood. I never looked at Estrella but I have heard nothing but positive things with that community. My criteria was that it HAD to be green in the winter months. Val Vista seeds with rye grass (the grass turns dormant in the winter months unless they re-seed every year; almost all neighborhoods let the grass go dormant).

Old 05-18-2011, 06:16 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I looked at buying in Val Vista (PM Capt Bill as he knows the lakes area better than anyone on the forum). I LOVED that area. If I was going to live in the Valley full time I would have bought a water front home in Val Vista Lakes. But I could not rationalize parting with $800K-$1M for a home that I use just a few months a year. The numbers just wouldn't work.

Val Vista is a fantastic community with a lot to offer. But for me I'd need to be on the water or it would just be another great neighborhood. I never looked at Estrella but I have heard nothing but positive things with that community. My criteria was that it HAD to be green in the winter months. Val Vista seeds with rye grass (the grass turns dormant in the winter months unless they re-seed every year; almost all neighborhoods let the grass go dormant).
Just out of curiosity - where did you end up buying?

Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Just out of curiosity - where did you end up buying?
Marley Park. See Surprise AZ Homes for Sale ~ Marley Park . I have yet to see any guys with shaved heads with tatoos. But so long as they are nice, friendly and good people, why would I care?? I've been in AZ MUCH more often than in MN. I positively LOVE it. So long as you are in the shade, 110 (and low humidity) is child's play.

But I hear we recently have a sex offender in the hood. But it seems Billionaires can also be sex offenders. Attorneys settle $2 million fee dispute with billionaire sex offender Jeffrey Epstein - Sun Sentinel

Also these bald people wanted to live in Chandler but they could not afford it (see Famous Celebrities With Bald Heads ). I bet most of them didn't finish college. Therefore they are uneducated.

Based off of the cars I see people drive in my new hood, I predict there are mostly 6 figure people (including the new renters that are strategically defaulted because their $500K home dropped to $180K). So why is it so cheap?? The homes were built in 2006 and it is in the outer burbs. Need I say more??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area