Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 12:34 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times

Advertisements

Ever since I went to Germany a couple years back and saw this at my wife's cousin's house I've wanted to get it for the back sliding patio door. The door faces directly west and the light and heat just kills you when you're in the living room. We never even use the room in the summer until after the sun goes does...it feels like radiation is pouring through.

They're called Roller Shutters...made of aluminum with a foam filling and they are sweet. Great for security as well...I would love them on all windows but they aren't cheap.

Video...the best part is at 00:18...I love how it does the total close thing.

YouTube - ‪Roller Shutters Sliding Door‬‏

This is how the room is without...yea BLINDING...notice we do have a vertical covering already...

And with them closed...

You can also set it to filter light through so it's not so cave like.

From outside...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 12:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
I have heavy insulated drapes in my living room and they do about the same thing. In the summer we put tin foil on our bedroom windows. It's a pretty cheap fix and we don't particularly care what the neighbors think. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,762 times
Yes, that tour in Germany convinced me, too! Rolladen. I'm not sure why you posted this but there is a manufacturer here in Tempe. I have hand cranks but you can get them with electric motors. As you might guess, I work at night and (try to) sleep during the day. Rolladens make the day, night! Now if I could get those Hondas with the loud exhaust to stay out of my neighborhood!!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:20 PM

What is the price difference on the crank version vs the electric, do you know? I wouldn't mind doing some windows with this as well.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
WOW! That's awesome. I fry in my bedroom in Tucson even with blinds and drapes.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 AM

97 posts, read 290,614 times
I first saw rolladens in the eighty's and did every window and glass door in my house in the 1990's. In the long run they are cheaper than custom draperies. They need occasional servicing. Mine are all strap or crank operated except the living room has electric motors. All parts are German except the motors are from France. They are amazing at keeping the summer heat, noise and evil-doers out. I'm sure that they've paid for themselves with APS savings. It is great to be able to create 2 a.m. in the middle of a July afternoon. Enjoy your rolladen HX-guy. The difference between manual and electric operating units is under $500. I don't worry about leaving my house any more.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:08 AM

142 posts, read 933,694 times
I would love to do those on a few windows. Does anyone know if they can be put on upstairs windows? Our problem here is noise and I bet they shut out noise as well as heat/sunlight.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:21 AM

97 posts, read 290,614 times
They can easily be put on second story windows. They do keep out noise and will slow down a bullet. Phoenix police officers have told me that they have not investigated a break-in where entry was through a roll-a-shield. You can get some commercial units that are bullet proof. The only noise that you can't keep out is a bouncing basketball on concrete nearby. Grrrrrr.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:31 AM

I don't know about the bullet thing, really? I mean I guess they could have some effect but they are just aluminum with a polyurethane filling. But hey, anything that has any sort of effect is good right?

Old 05-25-2011, 12:38 PM

Also, we have interior wood shutters on all other west and south facing windows which do a great job with the heat, I don't know if the roller shutters would add anything extra heat protection wise. Some light does come through with the wood shutters, but just around the edges of the each shutter since they don't close up perfectly like the roller shutters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area