Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:17 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times

Advertisements

The funny thing here, is to read the posts of the people that are angry with landlords that want their tenants to live up to the lease. If you word is not good enough to live up to your lease, then why should the landlord have to suffer the consequences.

That landlord is easy to live with. He allows anyone to break a lease with a 2 month penalty. What softer terms do you think they should have. That is a very tenant friendly lease. Don't blame the landlord, blame the tenant for putting them in a position to have to say no, to any more concessions. That is the purpose of a lease.

A lease guarantees that a tenant has a place to live for the life of a lease. That is to the tenants benefit.

A lease guarantees that the rent is not going to be increased for the life of a lease. That is to the tenants benefit.

A tenant signs a lease, based on those two benefits. If they suddenly want to change their mind and not live there any more, to only pay 2 months rent for the privilege of breaking the lease is a very great benefit to the tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 05:29 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The funny thing here, is to read the posts of the people that are angry with landlords that want their tenants to live up to the lease. If you word is not good enough to live up to your lease, then why should the landlord have to suffer the consequences.

That landlord is easy to live with. He allows anyone to break a lease with a 2 month penalty. What softer terms do you think they should have. That is a very tenant friendly lease. Don't blame the landlord, blame the tenant for putting them in a position to have to say no, to any more concessions. That is the purpose of a lease.

A lease guarantees that a tenant has a place to live for the life of a lease. That is to the tenants benefit.

A lease guarantees that the rent is not going to be increased for the life of a lease. That is to the tenants benefit.

A tenant signs a lease, based on those two benefits. If they suddenly want to change their mind and not live there any more, to only pay 2 months rent for the privilege of breaking the lease is a very great benefit to the tenant.
I agree with you...although I don't always think its for the renter benifit, its also for the beni of the landlord. I personally don't have a problem with a landlord with 2 month break fees, under the contrary, I think thats getting off pretty lite. Why did the OP sign for 1 year...it takes about 3 to 4 months time if your looking at short sales, 2 months longest if your looking at forclosures or conventional sales, if you include the time just looking. He intended to screw over the landlord from day one. Took the cheaper rent and thought he would just skip out....then reality hit, he discovered the adult world when the LL said NOT SO FAST BUDDY, WE HAVE A CONTRACT. OP Be a man, or find some other Man to take over lease.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:04 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I needed to move to Idaho last year ( IM BACK YAHOOOO!!!) anyway, my Rental office said to break my lease I would have to pay back 2 months worth of rent, the free month I was given, the current rent, and the 150 a month I was given off regular rates that a month to month renter would owe. $5500 dollars in all....OUCH, so I got on craigs list and found someone to take over my rent and finish out my lease. Not a sublet, but completely take over for me. I gave hime 1000 bucks to do it, and I took off the next day after the place was moved and clean. SO glad to be free of it. 2 months ago I signed a 4 month lease, Im getting ready to buy a home, which will probably take another month to 45 days. I recommend never signing a 12 month lease, as you just never know what your situration will be in 6 months anymore. The place I live has as little as 2 month leases, or just month to month to start. As far as the month left on my current lease....well the seller can take care of that for me, as per agreement.
Why did you sign a lease in the first place? A lease is a contract. A legal binding contract.

You found someone to "take over" your lease. Not legal in most states.

Seems like some here don't wish to take on the consequences of their actons. It's a sad day when your word or your signature means little to nothing.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:25 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Why did you sign a lease in the first place? A lease is a contract. A legal binding contract.

You found someone to "take over" your lease. Not legal in most states.

Seems like some here don't wish to take on the consequences of their actons. It's a sad day when your word or your signature means little to nothing.
Its legal in all states, as the lease was completed to the end. Other renter had to qualify, and NO ONE BUT ME lost a dime. This was also stated in the original contract. Did you actually read the post?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:16 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
It is legal to get another tenant to take over your lease, if the landlord agrees to allow it to happen in all states.

On the other hand, if the landlord does not agree, then the new person cannot take over your lease.

With just a 2 month penalty, PAY IT. That is a very reasonable thing to request. It always costs the landlord money, when tenants change even if you don't realize it. Yes it always costs the landlord some money. Why should the landlord be out money, if you are the one wanting to break the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area