Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you receive your mail?
Just a regular mailbox, not locked 8 22.86%
Locked mailbox 21 60.00%
PO Box 7 20.00%
Other 1 2.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:33 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,442 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious, with AZ leading the nation in identify theft, who here has mailboxes that are locked or uses a PO box? For years now I have just used a regular mail box but am now thinking of getting a PO box. There is no way I can turn my mailbox into a locked one, so this leaves me with a PO box as my only option.

So, I made this poll to see what most people in the valley do and if you'd care to share your thoughts or have ever had an experience with mail gone missing, etc and want to share please do. Or whatever other comment you might have. BTW, I set this poll so you can pick more than one choice.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:36 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
I had credit card info stolen once from my box, so I put in a locking mailbox. Had to rebuild part of the pillar holding it to replace it, but was worth it to me.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
I had credit card info stolen once from my box, so I put in a locking mailbox. Had to rebuild part of the pillar holding it to replace it, but was worth it to me.
Did you have a stucco pillar with the mailbox stuck in the middle? I would think it would cost a lot to have to do what you did. However, a PO box costs money too and it's a hassle to have to go to the post office to get your mail.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:46 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Did you have a stucco pillar with the mailbox stuck in the middle? I would think it would cost a lot to have to do what you did. However, a PO box costs money too and it's a hassle to have to go to the post office to get your mail.
Yes, a stucco pillar that had to be partially rebuilt. I didn't want to give up the convenience. We are also more careful about when we put out mail, not leaving it too long in the box before pickup.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:28 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
In this day and age, you absolutely need a locked box of some type.

Furthermore, you need to go online and opt out of credit card offers. This submits a request to the credit agencies to prevent credit card solicitations to be sent to your home.

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

Old 06-01-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
In this day and age, you absolutely need a locked box of some type.

Furthermore, you need to go online and opt out of credit card offers. This submits a request to the credit agencies to prevent credit card solicitations to be sent to your home.

Thanks for the tip and I will go to that site.

Little story - I don't know how this happened, but months after I left my former residence someone somehow got ahold of one of those credit card offers and tried to cash a check for $1500. Odd thing is, it was made payable to a name I had mentioned to someone I would use as an alias if I ever wanted to use an alias (not that I need to or would ever - just conversation). Bit of a mystery there. Long story short the check was rejected and I had an unlocked mailbox at that house too. Guess I should clarify, it was more one of those conversations like "if you could change your name to something classy, what would it be?" Time for a PO Box I guess.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Thanks for the tip and I will go to that site.

Little story - I don't know how this happened, but months after I left my former residence someone somehow got ahold of one of those credit card offers and tried to cash a check for $1500. Odd thing is, it was made payable to a name I had mentioned to someone I would use as an alias if I ever wanted to use an alias (not that I need to or would ever - just conversation). Bit of a mystery there. Long story short the check was rejected and I had an unlocked mailbox at that house too. Guess I should clarify, it was more one of those conversations like "if you could change your name to something classy, what would it be?" Time for a PO Box I guess.
Most ID Theft is through mail theft and dumpster dives. Very little ID theft is through the internet. You should still be careful on the internet. You should also monitor your credit reports two times a year. That will enable you to see if someone has opened a credit card or an account in your name. It's also good practice because these agencies are bad about updating their information. For example, when I first began doing this years ago, I found they still had 3 credit cards still open in my name even though I closed them and some no longer exist ie Structure Card from the early 90's.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Most ID Theft is through mail theft and dumpster dives. Very little ID theft is through the internet. You should still be careful on the internet. You should also monitor your credit reports two times a year. That will enable you to see if someone has opened a credit card or an account in your name. It's also good practice because these agencies are bad about updating their information. For example, when I first began doing this years ago, I found they still had 3 credit cards still open in my name even though I closed them and some no longer exist ie Structure Card from the early 90's.
Yes, I think I am a bit naive when it comes to trusting that my mail will stay in my mail box. And after that one experience it should have been enough for me to make sure that I had a locked box. Again, too trusting. We're not living in small town America so I should realize this and take precautions. Thing is, no one else in this neighborhood has a locked box. I do check my credit report annually but twice is a good idea too. And I usually just rip those credit card offers in half and put them in the recycling but maybe they should be shredded. But if I go to your link then I guess I won't have to worry about that. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:21 PM

81 posts, read 354,886 times
Quote:

even more effective at stopping unwanted credit card solicitations is maintaining horrible credit ratings lol!
i've found this method to be 100 percent reliable thus far, it also gives me peace of mind as far as identity theft.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:55 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
My husband's credit card was improperly used twice--via another country. Some bizarre thing where the credit card company called us to report activity somewhere abroad. Have no idea how it happened. They just changed the account/card for him, but I think it happened twice within 5 years. Not sure the whole story but very Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area