Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 04:44 PM

142 posts, read 933,792 times

Advertisements

I have lived here in AZ for 16 years and have only had antenna service for the past 12 years. I have no idea what it would cost or if it's worth it. My 12 year old keeps asking for cable since it's going to get hot and there's not much on regular TV during the day(heaven forbid if he open up a book). Anyway, I was wondering what the average cable or satellite bill runs? We already have a phone line and cable internet through Cox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 05:05 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,068,367 times
basic cable TV (channels 2-18 or so with little more than the three networks plus PBS, Fox, shopping channels) will be about $21 plus fees....expanded basic (with a whole lot more, much more) will be about $45 plus fees.....

since you're already with Cox, call them up, hem and haw about bundles, choices, waffle a bit - and see what they can come up with for you as far as discounts, promotions....check if that great deal they give you doesn't balloon up to a huge charge in six months or a year!!!!

and try to limit the TV and make the kid read, go for a walk, exercise, volunteer, do chores before TV time (but you knew that already, right?!!!)

Old 06-02-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
basic cable TV (channels 2-18 or so with little more than the three networks plus PBS, Fox, shopping channels) will be about $21 plus fees....expanded basic (with a whole lot more, much more) will be about $45 plus fees.....

since you're already with Cox, call them up, hem and haw about bundles, choices, waffle a bit - and see what they can come up with for you as far as discounts, promotions....check if that great deal they give you doesn't balloon up to a huge charge in six months or a year!!!!

and try to limit the TV and make the kid read, go for a walk, exercise, volunteer, do chores before TV time (but you knew that already, right?!!!)
LOL! He plays competitive tennis and has quite an active life. It's just that we have more free time with school out for now. He exercises for hours every day and competes about twice a month so we've got that part covered.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:16 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,322,511 times
Answer to OP - I pay too much.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:46 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
Just place the computer in the living room.

There is free live streaming on all sorts of stuff. Here's one. Leo Laporte. Twit TV. Click on the LIVE part on web site. Leo is famous for his shows on Tech TV network. Streaming 24 hours per day.

LINK

And there is Google TV.

LINK

Old 06-02-2011, 10:34 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,068,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtogrif View Post
LOL! He plays competitive tennis and has quite an active life. It's just that we have more free time with school out for now. He exercises for hours every day and competes about twice a month so we've got that part covered.

good to hear.....

Old 06-02-2011, 10:49 PM

97 posts, read 290,733 times
Most new desktop computers have an HDMI port that will plug right into your HD tv. Then you set the computer video to dual monitors. You can watch Netflix, Streaming tv from other countries, youtube and so on. Put your money into an excellent internet hook-up like a premium Cox account. I have that and Directtv until my time runs out. It's around $100/month and I never turn the tv on. By the way I love Leo Laporte. You can check his website for podcasts and he has national radio shows over the weekend that you can stream on the computer. I am going to use a tv antenna when Direct tv runs out. You can grab a gorgeous hd signal right off the air.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabsJohnson View Post
Most new desktop computers have an HDMI port that will plug right into your HD tv. Then you set the computer video to dual monitors. You can watch Netflix, Streaming tv from other countries, youtube and so on. Put your money into an excellent internet hook-up like a premium Cox account. I have that and Directtv until my time runs out. It's around $100/month and I never turn the tv on. By the way I love Leo Laporte. You can check his website for podcasts and he has national radio shows over the weekend that you can stream on the computer. I am going to use a tv antenna when Direct tv runs out. You can grab a gorgeous hd signal right off the air.
I have got to figure out how to do this: connect my computer to my TV. Right now, we live with Netflix and TIVO (yes, this works with antenna service if you have the HD box). I just get tired of watching TV on a 13 inch screen(I have a MacBook).

Old 06-03-2011, 01:29 AM

97 posts, read 290,733 times
Look at the MacBook documentation. Does it support dual monitors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area