Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 10,365 times

Advertisements

does anyone have an opinion on dish vs direct tv? which is better in the area? how about vs local cable.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 04:57 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
I've never used Satelite TV, but I've been with Cox Communications, who provide Cable, Broadband internet and digital telephone for a long time, and I'm happy with them. Cox Communications - digital cable TV, high speed broadband Internet access (ISP), and digital telephone services

Old 07-25-2007, 05:18 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
In this order, IMO, Satellite, Direct TV then COX. All will be good.
Satellite you have complete control, best signal and can own your own dish.
Direct TV you have some control, good signal, and pay reasonable $$.
COX, you get generally a good signal (some HD not so good yet) and many outages and rate increases.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:24 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabin View Post
does anyone have an opinion on dish vs direct tv? which is better in the area? how about vs local cable.

thanks
One major "negative" with Satellite TV . . . during the big storms (when I most likely want to watch TV) the signal either croacks completely or cuts in and out. Very frustrating and aggravating.

I agree with Mike (rarely but on this point) . . . Cox Bundles cannot be beat for both value and overall service.

Good Luck

Old 07-25-2007, 07:07 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,680 times
Default DirecTV

I have DirecTV and really like it a lot. I brought it from where I used to live so I can't comment on the local service.

From what I see, DirecTV has a lot of unusual channels that you don't find anywhere else. I also enjoy the MLB package too! The picture quality is great as well.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:13 PM

202 posts, read 981,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
One major "negative" with Satellite TV . . . during the big storms (when I most likely want to watch TV) the signal either croacks completely or cuts in and out. Very frustrating and aggravating.

I agree with Mike (rarely but on this point) . . . Cox Bundles cannot be beat for both value and overall service.

Good Luck
Me three.

If you are going to have Internet and phone through Cox, it's crazy not to get the package for $99.95 that gives you cable too.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:28 PM

45 posts, read 149,922 times
I have Direct TV with the TiVo service, I love it. I used to have COX and Qwest Digital Cable, and Id much much rather have Direct TV.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:59 AM

17 posts, read 92,760 times
Cox is the best for Internet access (faster than satellite, and very reliable). Satellite has more HD channels, so that may be a consideration. I think the best option is to get Cox high speed Internet with basic cable TV (package deal, so you have TV even if Satellite has a problem); and get your channel line-up through Satellite, if you want more HD channels.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:50 PM

419 posts, read 1,525,158 times
I found the Cox bundle was only a good deal if you DO NOT need:

-Lots of long-distance dialing
-HD Service

I work from home quite a bit, so Vonage is the best deal for my high-volume long-distance calling. DirecTV has reasonable rates, quality picture, and lots of HD content. I do like my Cox high-speed internet. I pay $146 for all 3, which I figured to be a better value than the Cox $99 bundle PLUS my other options.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:45 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
i hated Cox for TV - I love DTV though - good HD selection as well if that is a concern - i used to pay up for the sports packs on Cox and they stations would cut out and freeze all the time ......... was so frustrating - support service was poor as well

picture quality seems better with DTV as well (and this is through the same inputs so it's not a wiring issue)

i'm not so happy with my qwest DSL though - drops out quite a bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area