Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:01 AM

7 posts, read 12,367 times

Advertisements

Hello:
We are relocating to Gilbert in the next few months. I've been really surprised at the lack of info I'm getting from realtors. I'm hoping a few contributors here can lend their expertise.

We are trying to find a few communities to zone in on when we are looking at houses. We like Power Ranch because it has "real" bike paths, the clubhouse, pool, lake, etc. I think Val Vista Lakes houses might be too old for our taste, but it seems that's nice too.

Are there other communities that have nice amenities?

Anyone have any thoughts on Marbella Vineyards, Ashland Ranch, Layton Lakes, Morrison Ranch, and what you get for your HOA dues?

Thank you so much to anybody!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 11:39 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,364 times
Almost all newer communities will have parks with playgrounds, that are included in your HOA dues. They are really water retention basins, so in the rare occasion it rains, the water from the streets will flow into these "parks" to prevent flooding.

Morrison Ranch has these greenbelts, playgrounds as well as basketball, sand volley ball, biking/walking paths and a catch and release lake.

Ashland Ranch has the park/playground and basket ball.

Layton Lakes has, of course, the lakes as well as the playgrounds, parks and tennis courts.

Marbella Vineyards has a nice water feature entrance, and then the parks and greenbelts.

Have you considered Seville? It has a fantastic clubhouse, with lots of amenities.

Power Ranch is a very nice community - good value as far as HOA dues.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carient View Post
Hello:
We are relocating to Gilbert in the next few months. I've been really surprised at the lack of info I'm getting from realtors. I'm hoping a few contributors here can lend their expertise.

We are trying to find a few communities to zone in on when we are looking at houses. We like Power Ranch because it has "real" bike paths, the clubhouse, pool, lake, etc. I think Val Vista Lakes houses might be too old for our taste, but it seems that's nice too.

Are there other communities that have nice amenities?

Anyone have any thoughts on Marbella Vineyards, Ashland Ranch, Layton Lakes, Morrison Ranch, and what you get for your HOA dues?

Thank you so much to anybody!!
I suggest you find one Realtor in Gilbert that you can relate to; and work with that Realtor. That way you will get more and better information.

There are several good Realtors that contribute on this forum. Just check out their posts, and find a couple you think you may be comfortable with; interview them and choose one to represent you.

Once you select one good Realtor to work with, s/he will help you get all the information you need, and guide you through the process of buying your new home.

Val Vista Lakes and Seville have the most amenities of the Gilbert communities. The fees for Val Vista Lakes is less than Seville. Of course one big difference is that Seville is a golf community and Val Vista Lakes is a lake community.

My home in Val Vista Lakes is only 10 years old. Several are newer than that, and many have been upgraded so they are like new.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:23 PM

20 posts, read 60,881 times
Ashland Ranch has sand volleyball, parks, basketball, play areas, great walking and bike paths, dog stations (poo bags), and apparently a very good elementary school. Lots of walkers, roller-bladers, and bikers in the neighborhood, and everyone I've passed is friendly and polite. HOA dues are about $53/month and cover all the public area maintenance. No community pool. Lots of greenery (HOA refers to it as "lush" landscaping) everywhere, Xeriscape is permitted, but was (is?) discouraged. I bicycle to Sprouts, WalMart, Total Wine (San Tan Mall), UPS store, and rarely find a street without bike lanes. I also bike up and down the canals when it's cooler out. When I walk the dog in my neighborhood I have at least three large parks within a mile. Also, Cosmo Dog park is about a mile away. The homes here were built around 2000-2001, and most have three-car garages.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:08 AM

7 posts, read 12,367 times
Thank you so much everybody for these insights! I really appreciate your help!!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:12 AM

45 posts, read 69,318 times
I love Ashland Ranch, the community is built around a great elementary school and attracts a lot of young families. as the previous poster said tons of parks, basketball courts and walking trails. It is also very close to the san tan entertainment center and 202 freeway access. It doesnt seem like this subdivision has been hit very hard with forclosures.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:27 AM

29 posts, read 68,861 times
What do folks think about Power Ranch?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:04 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corso View Post
Power Ranch is a nice community on the southeast corner of Gilbert. It's great for young families. My grandkids went to PR Elementary School there.

They have a small clubhouse, a small catch and release lake, swimming pool, sport courts, soccer fields, and plenty of park space.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:54 PM

639 posts, read 972,091 times
My main issue with Power Ranch - and the reason we won't buy there - is how CLOSE everything is. The houses are close to each other, they are close to the road, and - to me - there is a claustrophobic feel to it. Now, others love it due to what amenities it offers, and they are nice. But I need a little more space in between me and my neighbors. Plus, the lots tend to be a lot smaller there.

We've been house hunting - Seville is very nice. We currently are renting a home in San Tan Ranch which we really like, location is great but not a lot of amenities (there are a lot of parks and walking paths, etc here). I also like Coronado Ranch for the space. We want to stay in this area of town for the schools my daughter is already in, so I don't have a ton of experience in many of the other subdivisions. I do really like The Islands and Val Vista Lakes and once she graduates, we may look into moving over that way.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:36 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corso View Post
Power Ranch has won numerous awards - including best master planned community in the state, plus it ranked in the top five best planned communities in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area