Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:35 PM

190 posts, read 449,704 times

Advertisements

When I ever land a 'house' I was thinking of getting a dog.... My luck with housing bids etc. has been not so good ... I've lost my 4th deal - Not too upset about it - but it's getting awful hot to be driving around looking in places...

So I dream of finally moving in and realize I can now have a dog! Got to thinking - what kind of dog does a person adopt when they live in this annual super hot weather place?

Back east I had Old English Sheepdogs - had to be groomed monthly - kept their coat long and tangle free - they were magnificent animals... The smallest dog I've ever had was a ****-a-poo - as a kid - nice because they didn't shed. <--- LOL censored half cocker spaniel half poodle hahaha!

I love shepherds of all kinds - but like a German Shepherd - they have such long hair... might they suffer too much to spend any time at all outdoors in summer?

I'm a neophyte to all this heatfilled living of summer - my first summer here - and if it's too hot for me - it's too hot for a dog I'd think - so what breed would do well with much indoor time in the summer? Which dog is a real Arizona Resilient Breed? Almost every single Arizona home listing I've viewed has the cement block walls - so is automatically fenced in....

California Coast was quite overrun with Chihuahua's <--- spelling lol....? Was hoping to not go there - I was kinda burned out looking at the little critters - they were everywhere you went....

So ideas, teachings, sage experience from canine lovers? Thanks in advance! And if you have a house to sell - lemme know ;-) I'm definitely interested !

Old 06-25-2011, 10:50 PM

19 posts, read 26,086 times
4-6 million of dogs and cats are killed a day in shelters. Dogs can live to 12-17 years. I have friends who have dogs both large and small who live 19-24. One of our dogs, a large shepherd mix lived to 17. Most people get dogs on 'impulse' and then discard them like tv sets when it is not convenient or they want a 'type' bc the type of dog was shown on tv. Most animals end up at shelters due to ignorance or abuse training/teaching methods (i.e. puppy doesn't know where to potty, potties in the house away from the sleeping area or tries to, human hits or abuses puppy, puppy says I'll never pee in front of the person again, still doesn't know where to pee -- now the person has a housetraining problem bc they terrifed the puppy, puppy goes to shelter). So adopt!

AZ is HOT. I'm visiting and leaving. Dogs cannot go out in the afternoon or walk on the sidewalk. Nor should kitties or any little creature who wasn't designed to live in the desert. A dog at a shelter in AZ needs a home, long or short haired. You can groom/clip the fur of longer haired dog (very popular in VT -- labs, shepheds all get their hair buzzed off for the summer -- no different than shnauzers or poodles). If you have a home, pools with canopies, kiddie plastic pools to cool off. Short haired lanky/long-legged dogs will do better in the heat than long-haired stocky/chunky ones (who do better in colder weather). Good luck on the house.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Default Any dog will endure the summer. No worry..

I have 2 poodle mixes, and love them to death. I went to the shelter (Maricopa Co. -one is in Mesa and one is in west Phoenix) where I rescued them and they are my life now that I retired. I go to the dog parks around here alot and see all breeds, every day. Long hair, short hair, no hair, great danes, greyhounds, shelties, German shepherds, etc. The trick is you have to get up really early to take them outside in summer and/or really late in the evening when the sun is down. The parks open at 6:30 am and close at 10:30 pm in Chandler. I don't let them stay out too long in the yard cause of the sun but they love the park and want to go every day, no matter what the temp is. Please adopt a shelter dog. They will love you forever.

Moderator cut: solicitation/real estate advertising not permitted

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-26-2011 at 04:41 AM.. Reason: not permitted on C-D

Old 06-26-2011, 12:28 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
We have a Miniature Schnauzer that will cut short in the summer. She does well thought she is a house dog and is only outside to take care of business and when we are all swimming in the pool.

She is a great dog and the best part is she doesn't shed.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:13 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,696 times
You live your life just like you would anywhere else. It's so pathetic seeing all these transplant threads where you lock yourself up all summer cuz its hot. I walk my dog the same time I do all year round. We goto the park during the day they will run and play. Go on long walks at sundown all year round, Trips to the petstore, Hiking South Mountain and Papago live your life dont let it live for you.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:56 AM

108 posts, read 306,271 times
We've got 2 dogs. One is Boston Terrier the other is an Australian Cattle Dog. Both are in the house for the most part all year round but both really like to go out and lay in the sun. Even with his longer, black fur, the ACD seems to love the heat even on the hottest afternoon. Of course, they're only out there for 15 minutes to a half hour.

Just a couple of things that I can think of here. One is, of course, they should always have access to shade and water. Two, breeds with longer snouts and thus longer tongues, will have an easier time cooling themselves by panting.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:56 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
We have a Yorkie. We like that breed because they don't shed, they're very energetic and love people. During the summer my wife will walk her in the mornings before the pavement gets hot.

Right now instead of walking every day, she's swimming. She loves to swim and that's great exercise for them and it's not as hard on their knees. This small breed, and possibly others, have knee problems.

But once a week she'll still go for a walk so she can keep socializing other dogs and people.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:00 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
It's damn hot here, too, and people just have whatever dog they want (who spend all day indoors during the hot summer) and go out in the morning and evenings to play and walk and bike, etc.

Actually, I have seen people walk their dogs out at 1pm...both dog and owner seem fine...guess they are not long walks.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:19 AM

124 posts, read 661,250 times
I have a Maltese and a Cockapoo...the Maltese cannot handle the summer heat for long periods of time, but the Cockapoo LOVES to be out on the hot driveway just laying in the sun...he also loves to swim...I take my dogs everywhere I go, but avoid leaving them in the car when the temps are obviously too hot....anything over 75 in my book is too hot to leave a dog in a car, even with water and the windows rolled down a bit.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:37 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
I have always had big mutts that I would get from the shelter. The last one I got is a longhair Dachshund. Love her! They are excellent watch dogs, nothing gets past them. They will run away barking from an intruder and not bite, but that is fine. That is why I have the Glock. I don't like the poodle types and terriers are mean and yappy in my experience. Dachshunds are a man's dog in small package. And they can take the heat with the long snout. Mine lays out in the heat of the day on her back and suns herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area