Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:46 PM

11 posts, read 56,346 times

Advertisements

My fathers truck is parked on the street, in front of my house. It's been there for a few months, I'm trying to sell it so we let the tags expired since here in Arizona its illegal for the buyer to drive on the sellers tags. today I received a restricted parking notice 28-4834 which is a statues that says an officer can tow a vehicle if it is believed to be lost stolen abandoned...why didnt the officer knock on my door to ask me? Then he gives my dad a ticket for expired tags and for the right tire being more than 18" away from the curb (because the truck which doesn't run is facing the wrong way) Now i lived in AZ for over 32 years and we have seen cars parked the wrong way many times.

My MAIN QUESTION IS...I believe strongly in laws protecting our natural rights like,life liberty, property, contracts and so on...what right is being protected or whose right is being protected with this law?

I can see if its a traffic hazard but two days parked on the street is no different than two years if an accident happens involving the parked vehicle, it would have happened if it was parked for 10 minutes or 10 years.

My last concern is what type of human being who is well aware of the poor economy(crime goes up when in a recession, so an officer would be briefed) would write a ticket in this situation; where no ones rights are being violated or no safety hazard is prevalent since we can park for at least 48 hrs and people do park on our street all the time due to the small, shared drive ways.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:11 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
You yourself admit the vehicle has been there for MONTHS, tags are EXPIRED, and apparently the vehicle isnt even correctly parked with wheels nearly TWO FEET from the curb....and are somehow still upset about getting ticketed???? What about the economy has anything to do with that? And what is the officer supposed to do, knock on every door in the area until he finds the owner? IMHO the officer was correct. The public does indeed have an interest in not having abandoned cars clogging public streets.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:15 PM

42 posts, read 161,900 times
I don't have an answer to this, it is not something that would bother me, but I do get the impression if this was in Gilbert, HOAs like everything out of sight (to an extreme).
My other thought would be if the tags are expired shouldn't it be on your own driveway not public road, or is that some law that doesn't exist here but I have brought with me and would apply anyway.

Last edited by Journey2; 06-30-2011 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: Had another thought.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:17 PM

219 posts, read 763,939 times
That vehicle is text book abandoned. What if Everyone one on that Street did the same thing? Heck have two cars out front.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:18 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson27 View Post
My last concern is what type of human being who is well aware of the poor economy(crime goes up when in a recession, so an officer would be briefed) would write a ticket in this situation;
Well, of course he would write a ticket... They want your money.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:24 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
While the situation sucks, what is the excuse here? Why was it parked the wrong way? Just because you've seen other people do it doesn't mean it's allowed.

Why was the truck parked so far from the curb? That sounds like it could be a hazard. As for the registration, I believe the law is that any vehicle that us on a public road has to be registered.

As for leaving a car parked in the street for a long time, it can be annoying, even if it's n frot of your house. A neighbor of mine did tha for a while and afte a while it got annoying, always had to watch out for their car when I drove by. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the neighbors reported the truck and it wasn't just a random cop driving by.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:08 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
You are damn lucky, JWilson . . .

In my neighborhood your dad's truck would have been impounded, not merely ticketed, after 72 hours of abandonment or just 24 hours after plate expiration, whichever happened first.

Do you have any idea how nice your neighborhood would look if every resident abandoned a vehicle or two on the street?

If you prefer to live in a Third World Country with a bunch of abandoned, unregistered and not street legal vehicles in front of your home; maybe you should consider moving.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:01 AM

422 posts, read 791,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson27 View Post
My fathers truck is parked on the street, in front of my house. It's been there for a few months, I'm trying to sell it so we let the tags expired since here in Arizona its illegal for the buyer to drive on the sellers tags. today I received a restricted parking notice 28-4834 which is a statues that says an officer can tow a vehicle if it is believed to be lost stolen abandoned...why didnt the officer knock on my door to ask me? Then he gives my dad a ticket for expired tags and for the right tire being more than 18" away from the curb (because the truck which doesn't run is facing the wrong way) Now i lived in AZ for over 32 years and we have seen cars parked the wrong way many times.

My MAIN QUESTION IS...I believe strongly in laws protecting our natural rights like,life liberty, property, contracts and so on...what right is being protected or whose right is being protected with this law?

I can see if its a traffic hazard but two days parked on the street is no different than two years if an accident happens involving the parked vehicle, it would have happened if it was parked for 10 minutes or 10 years.

My last concern is what type of human being who is well aware of the poor economy(crime goes up when in a recession, so an officer would be briefed) would write a ticket in this situation; where no ones rights are being violated or no safety hazard is prevalent since we can park for at least 48 hrs and people do park on our street all the time due to the small, shared drive ways.
Agreed, Bummer.

I am surprised you weren't towed the first week of being there. With all those obvious violations, it should have been done immediately. If I were your neighbor, I would have called them the first week.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:12 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
No support here - if you really don't want the truck, put it on Craigslist and price it realistically, and it will be gone in a few hours.

Your neighbors have a right not to look at "junk" cars, and a vehicle that doesn't run, isn't registered, and has been sitting for months is a "junk" car.

A 30-day plate is about ten bucks,and does not require a smog test - if it isn't "worth" that investment on your father's part, it isn't something your neighbors should have to look at.

If you can't sell it in 30 days, your price is too high.

And for the record - I'm a firm believer in driving old "junky-looking" cars - back in the Detroit suburbs, I drove a pickup that was so ugly, I'd get "abandoned" notices on the windshield an hour after I parked it out in front of my house - with a valid plate & insurance, legally parked. I had a "reserved" parking space in the employee-parking lot, because there was so much oil leaking out of it, that no one wanted to risk damaging their shoes by parking in "my" spot. I put a quart of oil in every 30 miles of driving - once a week.... The windows were stuck half-open the entire two years I drove the truck (which was kinda miserable in the winter!), and there were no keys for my truck - it had been stolen previously, so the steering column was "peeled" - you started the truck by pushing a rod into the ignition switch. I miss that truck...

Last edited by Zippyman; 07-01-2011 at 03:30 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 03:54 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
I'm the one who called the police about your stupid truck. Instead of bitching about it, get rid of the POS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: