Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 5,018 times

Advertisements

So I (wife) have been wanting to live in Phoenix since 2004 -- husband is ex military and we've traveled the area quite a bit... he's a software developer (has about 5 years in web development and 2 years back end/application development ) I (wife) have 2 degrees, one in management and the other in information systems, 2 son's, 5 and 3 (yes i know the school year has started ) but we mostly teach him everything at home.

Question....we're so ready to move from Florida. I've not been able to become gainfully employed since I've been here. Husband is speaking to recruiters in Phoenix now. i have no experience in It but am seeking business analyst or java programming for entry level jobs...husband (veteran and currently programmer) will most likely be hired first and that's fine.

We are familiar with the areas there and want to know how is the IT market there these days. I know many people will point us to Texas, but we don't desire to live there. Also, I know that carouselexpo.com has a few listings for job fairs and i wanted to get opinions about how these fairs are? they are generally catering to veterans and IT/Engineers....

also since school has started, what type of process is involved transferring children into the arizona school system. i have a 5 year old in kindergarten but i'm not to pleased with his current instruction.

we are looking to rent for a year..... also can someone on here explain the influx of homes that are 'short sale' and 'hud' costing like 80K that were once 280K, because we are in love with the homes there and are looking to purchcase after about a year.....

so recap, we want to both go into software development, we have about $4000 saved up, we have a kid in kindergarten and want to know what kind of transition is necessary for him to get into school there, and job fairs such as targeted technology fairs and the recruit military job fairs --any experiences with either?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 12:20 PM

16 posts, read 21,395 times
With kids 4k is not nearly enough. I'm also in IT took over 2 months with a KILLER resume. Yes, go to Texas, Dallas, to be exact, if you haven't been there, visit. It's got much more in culture, appreciation of our veterans, and a booming IT job economy. (Even LA area- ask for 30% more than youd make there, and live in Torrance ;D)

I said in another thread. I have a KILLER resume that got me hired over the phone in one week in LA, they flew me out relocated me, hired over the phone in one week in Dallas, flew me out, relocated me, but in Arizona I went through 2 months of gruelling unemployment.

I suggest to you like the others submit your resume on every job available in the area, with the cover letter "I will be relocating to the Phoenix Metro in (date 3-4 weeks from the date you are sending) and make it happen if they hire you, if not, nothing lost! Good companies will wait for you, or fly you out, etc.

Try it before you go. Especially with only 4k.. in fact.. with children.. you should have a lot more than that saved.

Texans love ex military. Arizonans could care less. You should really consider visiting, at least.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
I'd go to Texas way before I'd come here. IT has always been dependent on the economy imo, and Texas has been steady through all this mess compared to other states. You might want to look at North Carolina as well. Take a look at dice dot com maybe?

Old 09-02-2011, 09:49 AM

213 posts, read 377,093 times
Default Not enough savings......

I'll be moving out to Scottsdale at the beginning of November. Do you have additional funds set aside for moving expenses? I'm moving from Central NY state and it's costing us approx $8,000 with a moving company, not including shipping one of our cars. Not sure how far $4,000 will carry you......You might want to get a few estimates before going much further.

Sue

Old 09-02-2011, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 5,018 times
well yeah actually, we've visited to dallas several times, and are highly familiar with the house prices and economy (everything is great there) but we just really like phoenix... the environment, the homes, the southwest feel -- so while common sense may say dallas, our hearts say phoenix, we may wait though until next summer, when it would be likely that hubby's boss will let him be remote and then we'd be able to move with income ! Thanks for reply

Old 09-02-2011, 11:06 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,895,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingphoenix View Post
well yeah actually, we've visited to dallas several times, and are highly familiar with the house prices and economy (everything is great there) but we just really like phoenix... the environment, the homes, the southwest feel -- so while common sense may say dallas, our hearts say phoenix, we may wait though until next summer, when it would be likely that hubby's boss will let him be remote and then we'd be able to move with income ! Thanks for reply
Definitely live where you love and not where you put up with it.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:50 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,023,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyhu View Post
Texans love ex military. Arizonans could care less. You should really consider visiting, at least.
Well if I was a headhunter, I'd be more concerned with your skills and experience. Not how much you played around in the mud.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:50 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,023,818 times
I regret writing that last post, sorry. I've never been in the military nor has any family member of mine. The military culture is about as foreign to me as Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area