Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the South Mountain Freeway?
Yes, with funding by tolls 9 33.33%
Yes, with funding by fuel taxes 10 37.04%
No 8 29.63%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:00 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Disagree with this. I've spent enough time in central FL to see the value of well maintained roads taking you anywhere you need to go. Tolls haven't changed in 12 years. For that road, a toll road is a very good solution. Don't want to use it? Stay on the 1-10.
I spent enough time in Chicago to disagree. The folks who were there years and years ago were sold on the toll idea because they would be "temporary" and be used to cover production cost. Tolls increased and now drivers are blackmailed in to buying pre-paid I-Pass devices (buy $40 up front at the old rate or pay increased tolls at every booth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
I am against it, I think it will just encourage more sprawl. We do need a Phoenix bypass for I-10 but that can be done much more cheaply by building a spur between I-8 and I-10 near Gila Bend.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Disagree with this. I've spent enough time in central FL to see the value of well maintained roads taking you anywhere you need to go. Tolls haven't changed in 12 years. For that road, a toll road is a very good solution. Don't want to use it? Stay on the 1-10.
I agree with this solution.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:04 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I spent enough time in Chicago to disagree. The folks who were there years and years ago were sold on the toll idea because they would be "temporary" and be used to cover production cost. Tolls increased and now drivers are blackmailed in to buying pre-paid I-Pass devices (buy $40 up front at the old rate or pay increased tolls at every booth.
You see though, with fuel taxes, everyone is required to pay whether they use it or not, and usually those fuel taxes are much higher than a toll. If you don't want to pay a toll, you are free to take I-10, however, keep in mind that you could be spending more money on gas vs. avoiding the toll.

Also, as for the cost of transponders, many toll agencies are moving to smaller, cheaper, passive transponders, which are just a sticker with a microchip with no batteries to replace. This would be the ideal approach for a cashless toll road if it were to be implemented on the South Mountain Freeway.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 10-19-2011 at 08:17 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 05:47 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Well, that's Chicago for you. They handle it differently (and better) in Florida. I would hope that we'd tell people up front it was a permanent toll, reasonably priced, and get this road built.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Well after dealing with the NJ turnpike and then the Penn turnpike on a weekly basis spending well over $100 to go from end to end on the Penn pike I'm not a fan. It'll end up to be just like toll bridges in CA that went from $1 to $5. I don't see an issue with a private company paying for it from buying the land (no eminent domain unless the landowners are completely out of line) to maintaining the roads. They set and collect the fees, own the rest/truck stops and have to cover the costs of emergency services used on that roadway. If they can get it to profitability then great, if you want to pay to drive on it go for it.
The primary road system is in place so if a short cut is wanted to save some time those "some" should fund it. Think about it, if it really would save trucking companies time they could buy yearly access or it could be marketed that if they get in as a founding partner they'd get a discount. This could (as a bypass) remove heavy truck traffic off the major public owned roads reducing the truck vs car accidents.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:28 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Well, we need to take care of the sprawl already here so I'm for it. Not sure on the toll or not, never dealt with a toll before.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:08 PM

289 posts, read 750,836 times
I am all for it. Not for a toll road.

It would actually reduce pollution. Cars and trucks pollute much more when they are accelerating. So in stop and go situations they are generating much more emissions. At cruise speeds they are much less.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:22 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
I was wondering, do you support the South Mountain Freeway?

I personally support it, since it would provide a quicker route from my house in Gilbert to my brother's house in Tolleson. I personally think it should be built as a cashless toll road, where all toll plazas are are pre-paid using an electronic transponder sticker, with an option for automatic replenishment. On each toll plaza, the rightmost lane should also have the option where you can purchase or replenish a transponder.

Tolls are the most economical way to fund highways, and the best part is that you are under no obligation to use those highways. With other funding methods such as fuel taxes, everyone is required to pay regardless if they use the highway or not, and the tax will often be higher than a toll.
Actually there is an even better solution to cashless toll roads than that.

See the 407 ETR in Toronto. Basically, when you get onto the freeway, a camera snaps a picture of your license plate. When you get off, the camera snaps it again. At the end of the month, you are billed at your license's address or you can opt to pay it online.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Actually there is an even better solution to cashless toll roads than that.

See the 407 ETR in Toronto. Basically, when you get onto the freeway, a camera snaps a picture of your license plate. When you get off, the camera snaps it again. At the end of the month, you are billed at your license's address or you can opt to pay it online.
Video tolling is expensive to implement. Route 407 actually uses both transponders in addition to video tolling, and there is a surcharge for being video-tolled. That approach could work, though.

To indicate whether or not the transponder is detected, there should be a light overhead that indicates the status of the transponder account. A green light would indicate that the transponder was successfully detected, a yellow light would be a warning that the account is low on money, and a red light would indicate either that there is no transponder or the account is out of money, and thus you get charged the video-toll rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area