Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:58 AM

183 posts, read 610,186 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to fly into Phoenix on Spring Break, rent a motorcycle, and tour the areas around Phoenix. We are thinking to check out Prescott area, Superior/Safford/Tuscon loop, maybe Wickenburg to Kingman. We own an older GoldWing, which we considered trailering from MI (I voted no, since a long ride on the '83 is less than comfortable for me).
Does anyone have any suggestions for scenic rides in AZ? We can go pretty much anywhere, as long as we can start and end in Phoenix. We will have about 8 days. Oh, and I think we would prefer pavement as opposed to dirt roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 11:47 AM

942 posts, read 2,520,537 times
Head up to the Pinetop, Big Lake, Apache Indian Reservation. Look for lodging in Pinetop, Greer, or at Hannagan Meadow. Absolutely beautiful riding with pine trees and Aspens. Very fond memories. Hannagan Meadow Lodge is a bit rustic, but wonderful meals in an atmosphere where conversations flow nicely with strangers.

We did this ride a few years ago and stayed in Pinetop at a timeshare associated with my sister's timeshare in CA and we had an absolutely wonderful time and then headed up to Hannagan Meadow. Pinetop also has a nice German restaurant overlooking a small lake with ducks and geese. Wow! You're making me want to go back

Old 10-24-2011, 02:02 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,008 times
Definitely do 89A from Sedona through Jerome and Prescott to Wickenburg.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:32 PM

Thanks! Both sound like great suggestions! Nothing beats the advice from someone who has actually ridden the roads! Can't get that info from just looking at a map!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:43 PM

221 posts, read 598,082 times
A favorite ride of mine is:

I-17 to Carefree Highway
West to US60
Right to Wickenberg
Right again on US89 just North of town
Through Congress and Yarnell (watch for radar on Yarnell Hill)
Follow 89A through Peeples Valley and the White Spars towards Prescott
Prescott to Jerome over Mingus Mountain
Back down to Cottonwood and then I-17 back to Phoenix

Or

Up 89A through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon, finally reaching Flagstaff. (89A through Oak Creek is usually slow and crowded on the weekends, so I usually skip it).

Another good ride closer to town is Bartlett Lake, just a few miles beyond Carefree.

If you get a little more ambitious try the Superior/Winkleman/Kearny/Globe loop.

And of course, be careful out there: People drive like idiots in this town/country/state.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Another one to look at is US 60 from Globe to Show Low thru the Salt River Canyon, then over to Springerville. From there South on the 191 thru Clifton, then swing back to Globe on US 70.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:46 PM

Thank you all! The CD folks have come through again! I will spend the winter happily making plans for this spring vacation! I am going to research this too, but...if anyone has really good-gotta try it-restaurant suggestions on these routes, I would love to hear them!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:32 PM

289 posts, read 750,765 times
Too early and some of those roads may have some snow in places!

Old 10-26-2011, 04:11 AM

Good point! Then could you suggest a good way to get current road conditions for these routes-something we can quickly check online the night before and then make a route change if necessary?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:10 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoshoewalkr View Post
Good point! Then could you suggest a good way to get current road conditions for these routes-something we can quickly check online the night before and then make a route change if necessary?
You can call 5-1-1- for road conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area