Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 08:23 PM

32 posts, read 155,500 times

Advertisements

We lived in PHX for about 4 years from 2004 to 08. We used to rent an apartment then. Now a job opportunity might arise & we are looking to move back to PHX and this time we intend to buy a house & live long term (about 10 years at least).
I'm budgeting our possible expenses. One of the biggest expense I remember was the electric bill during summer. Just for our 1 BR apt we used to pay around $250/month at least so I can only imagine what it would take to cool a 2400 sqft house!
My question to you guys is:
1. Is it feasible to install a window a/c in say two rooms and try to be in those rooms for most of the day and then set the rest of the house to about 85 deg?
(I hope I'm not sounding very ridiculous, I just want to look at possible scenarios where we can employ cost cutting measures. )
2. What are the other ways of cutting electricity & utility bills that you guys use?
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 08:55 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
A lot depends on the individual house.... its construction, its insulation, size and location of windows, shade from trees or neighboring houses, and your individual comfort level- and, the quality and efficiency of the AC unit, and your individual comfort level. I'm very comfortable in a 2100 sq foot house, and paying the same payment every month, winter and summer, I can do less than 150 a month, even much less, easily. Time of use plans can be helpful for some, too. Ceiling fans help in the rooms you are in.. don't leave them running when you aren't there. Apartments, it seems, are often difficult to cool economically, for reasons the tenant often doesn't have much control over.

I haven't used window units ever, but if I recall from other posts here, they actually use quite a bit of power for what you get. Using those, and keeping the doors shut so the 85 degree air in the rest of the house doesn't come in, doesn't sound like a good way to go, in my opinion.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:30 PM

221 posts, read 598,013 times
I have a feeling you were getting screwed.

I had a 2800 sq ft house that I kept at 75 degrees around the clock and my bills were rarely over $300.

My current 1100 sq ft townhouse with tall ceilings never went over $160/mo this summer. And that's at 75 degrees.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:42 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,035 times
I love my window units, they're all new too. I have an 18K BTU unit in the main room that puts out more ice cold air than any central AC I've had. I mean it can be a 106 degree heat index out and this thing will cool the main room down to 72. We also have smaller units in each bedroom (it's an old upstairs garage apartment from the 30's or 40's), and we turn the main unit off at night and shut our bedroom doors. This will save you money and I would think out there window units are the perfect solution for older homes that only have swamp coolers. Just run the window units during damp months.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:32 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
One problem with the window unit is that homes in AZ tend to have open floor plans - the kitchen and family areas are combined and are open (no door) to the dining and formal living areas, hallways etc. So the idea of closing off a room that you live in is not that easy unless you want to live in a bedroom.

If you have a time of day rate and stick to the restrictions and are able to be mildly uncomfortable during peak hours, the cost for an all-electric single story 2400 house will very likely average less than 250 per month - probably closer to 200/month. You will get up to 350 in summer and down to 150 or less in winter. As others have said, though, there are a whole lot of variables.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
I have saved (some) money at night by using a window AC in the bedroom, closing the door at night, and turning the main Heat pump to 85. It was never cool enough for me with just the whole house AC going. I also leave the ceiling fans on in almost every room, when I am home. Highest bill was $220 this summer, and its a VERY old heat pump. Actually, if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get it replaced with a reputable dealer, please let me know ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area