Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 10:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,398 times

Advertisements

I have read many, many posts on here and found many answers that are so appreciated! My husband and I will be moving to Arizona with our 2 children in the next year. We currently live in Eagle River, Alaska and the hubby says he has finally had enough of the cold weather. He spent some time in California when he was younger but it's just to expensive to live there. The next best thing was AZ. He works on the oil field in Alaska and will be commuting work so I would like to be close to the airport. That being said, close for us is under 45 minutes. We made a trip to AZ a few months ago and loved the Anthem area but are now thinking we would like to be a little closer to Phoenix. We have been looking into North Peoria (online). Vistancia seems nice but I think the fees might be too high for us. We will be losing my income when we move and that will drop us down to about 80,000 a year. Schools are a huge, huge deal with a soon to be 4th grader and 8th grader. I also want to keep the kids routine as close as possible. They are actively involved in activities about 4 days a week. Daughter does dance and cheer and son is currently in basketball, moves to wrestling in Feb. and then soccer and football in the summer. To give you a better idea, we live in a town of about 25,000. We have anything and everything we could need about 10 min away. Walmart is right up the street, Fred Meyer is across town, movie theater, 4 restaurants, 1 bar and all of my children's activities are no more than 15 min away. Anchorage (the bigger city) is about 30 minutes away on the highway and that would be where the mall, shows and most jobs are. I commute into and across Anchorage everyday for work and it takes about 30 to 45 minutes. No biggie! We are looking for something similar to this and prefer to be North of Phoenix so Chandler and Mesa and anything else that way are out. Also, we are in our early 30's and still like to have fun, so no retirement communities. LOL! Any and all advice would be helpful and very appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 07:56 AM

8 posts, read 17,150 times
Surprise is a beautiful area. There is a community called Surprise Farms which is at the very west side of Surprise and you could have beautiful views of the White Tank Mountains (depending upon which way your house faced and what type of house was in back of you). Homes are very reasonably priced there - even new construction! It's closer than Anthem (which is a beautiful area as well). Another community is Verrado which is in Buckeye at the southeast corner of the White Tank Mountains and is a little more expensive, but you still get a lot of house for the money. For the east side I would recommend Fountain Hills which is even more expensive but beautiful. Of course if you're determined to be north of Phoenix, then you would be looking at North Scottsdale/Cave Creek/Carefree.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:27 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,880 times
If you want to be closer to the airport, Vistancia and Surprise are both farther away than Anthem. Also if sports are important to you and your family you could be in for some regular driving.
Maybe think about living around Arrowhead (you'll be driving there anyways living in Vistancia or Surprise), Moon Valley and NE of there, or Norterra(south of anthem)?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:40 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,751,508 times
Vistancia has the best schools in Peoria at the time. The HOA is $85 a month on the family side of the fence and property taxes are a tad higher there as well. Utilities will be higher in Vistancia. Surprise is a very decent city and the rents there are less than Vistancia. I can't help with the schools but others here may be able to. YOu will have to come and stay and look at the different areas. Arrowhead Ranch is a very lovely neighborhood and right in the middle of tons of shopping. I am sure you will find your spot.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:49 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
The airport is closer to the east valley but maybe Scottsdale would be better if you need to be north. Or maybe Cave Creek like suggested from the other poster. You shouldn't have a problem with 80 thou a year, it's pretty cheap cost of living here. Except for the ac bill. lol
It takes about 15 min from Tempe, 25 min from Chandler, 25 min from Glendale and 60 min from Cave Creek or Surprise to the airport. I would make sure to use maps google and test areas of interest with Sky Harbor airport distance. That way you can see commute time. Good luck on your move, you will love the weather!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 AM

675 posts, read 1,415,223 times
Also keep in mind travel times to the airport are going to vary greatly depending on the time of day. It is located very much in the heart of the metro area, so getting to it from most places requires the same highways as the rush hour commuters use.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:16 PM

800 posts, read 1,911,710 times
If you like Vistancia, but not the fees, perhaps you should consider West Wing (Peoria), Stetson Hills, or Stetson Valley. Those are beautiful areas surrounded by hills & desert beauty, but don't have the community rec center & pool that drive up the HOA fees. Stetson Hills & Stetson Valley are actually in North Phoenix & an easy commute to freeways - and all of these choices have great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area